Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Home can be sometimes hard to distinguish. Home is where the love is. We get so discouraged with the world sometimes that we just want to go home. More love more housing....As Christ said "My house (family) has many mansions" If we love each other we will no longer be homeless. Just a thought. They say you can never go home again...that is not true...you can go to those you love and that is your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 47,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, the number of people who ran TOWARDS the victims immediately right after the bomb went off, not knowing if there would be more explosions, not knowing if it was safe, only knowing that people needed help should have been all you needed to answer your question.

YES, people out there DO actually, genuinely care about others even if they don't know them.

Is there something wrong with people who don't care? They appear to lack compassion and empathy, so yes, I think there is something wrong with them.

One thing that was stated during all of this is that for these terrorists, it's much easier for them to kill people they don't know. They also lack compassion and empathy.

Before anyone goes off in to, "lack of comprehension" land and starts foaming at the mouth, I'm not saying every single person who lacks compassion and empathy is a terrorist or would be, I'm saying, I do think that something is wrong with someone who lacks these traits.
Don't be offended but I think I love you. Compassion isn't really in short supply these days, the worlds just gotten weary. Call it The Age of Stoicism and pray it doesn't last too long.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
As John Denver once said "I am sorry for all the people in China...but most of all - I am sorry for me" - Why do I want to break into hillbilly song and sing Man Of Constant Sorrow? Seems that as I age - I have unwittingly embraced Stoicism?

"I am a vessel of darkness that can bare no more....I see what other do not. I pray for the mercy of one more dream...for a spark in the darkness - I prey for a purpose"

Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some one else put it clearly that thousands daily suffer the fate of what happened in Boston...where do we start morning and when does the morning end? It might be accurate that many of us are in a constant state of morning for the world in general...I think that is what might be going on.
I actually do. I think about people who suffer, every single day. It's probably why I'm pissed off so much all the time anymore.

You stated that if you allowed yourself to think about it, you would drown in your own tears...I chose the ticked off route because that's how I handle it. I can't get numb...some days I wish I could.

Edit: Oh and Lorelilly...I love you, too.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The Internet is full of people saying that they are praying for the family and friends of the people killed or injured in the Boston Terror Attack and the accident that caused the fire that killed or injured 100s of people in Western, TX. I wonder if their emotions are real.

In my experience most people really don't care what happens to anyone outside of a small group of family and very close friends. They just strike it up to the human experience.

While these two events take up the media's time I suspect that there were thousands of people all over the world killed, or tortured all over the world.

Psychologically is there something wrong with people who really don't care about Boston or Western TX all that much and just write it off as life and death on the planet earth

So OP, what exactly have you done about the Boston bombings and the Texas blast? Have you gone to those places and joined the response team? Have you offered your money, time and effort to personally help the victims? Tell me, I am all ears.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:18 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Not sure by mourn...do I shed tears? No...but I have thought a lot about what has happened this week. I am saddened that this country is not the same....I can't go to big events without thinking if someone is going to blow me up or shoot me...

I also feel bad for the people in West Tx-tragedy is always sad...no matter what, we are Americans and we should have empathy for our fellow man.

I even feel bad for the people in China...knowing your government doesn't give a rat's arse about you..

Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM

318 posts, read 566,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
So OP, what exactly have you done about the Boston bombings and the Texas blast? Have you gone to those places and joined the response team? Have you offered your money, time and effort to personally help the victims? Tell me, I am all ears.
Not a thing except follow the news in the media. I think it is a shame but I don't get involved and thank god it happened to them not me.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The Internet is full of people saying that they are praying for the family and friends of the people killed or injured in the Boston Terror Attack and the accident that caused the fire that killed or injured 100s of people in Western, TX. I wonder if their emotions are real.

In my experience most people really don't care what happens to anyone outside of a small group of family and very close friends. They just strike it up to the human experience.

While these two events take up the media's time I suspect that there were thousands of people all over the world killed, or tortured all over the world.

Psychologically is there something wrong with people who really don't care about Boston or Western TX all that much and just write it off as life and death on the planet earth
You can't mourn for everybody who dies in the world. You just couldn't live. The human mind is not actually able to have that much empathy, and if it did it would be paralyzing.

In the same way people feel what happened in Boston more than what happens on the other side of the world, they don't feel it as much as if a relative had died. It's normal.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I actually do. I think about people who suffer, every single day. It's probably why I'm pissed off so much all the time anymore.

You stated that if you allowed yourself to think about it, you would drown in your own tears...I chose the ticked off route because that's how I handle it. I can't get numb...some days I wish I could.

Edit: Oh and Lorelilly...I love you, too.
They say that anger is nothing more than "unresolved pain."

Wouldn't it be be refreshing to see the media spend half as much of its non-stop
coverage of the terrorist's lives & background; but instead focus on the victims and how their
lives and families have been impacted. I know I would be dreaming if
that actually occured.

Last edited by Pawporri; 04-21-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
"Psychologically is there something wrong with people who really don't care about Boston or Western TX all that much and just write it off as life and death on the planet earth"

No, I think the simple fact that you have to ask the question proves you have a normal human response. If someone were a sociopath and incapable of feeling empathy, the question in the OP would never even occur to them at all, that's what I think.

I don't actually mourn for the victims but I am sad that they died and sad for their families. I think actual mourning requires that you've known the person and they were part of your lives in a significant way. We've never heard of these people until the reports of their tragic deaths.

With that said.. when Sandy Hook happened, I didn't actually mourn so much but I actually felt a physical gut reaction, nauseous, angry, sad .. that stayed with me for days and I couldn't watch much of the coverage without tearing up.
I'm a 43 year old man and absolutely NOTHING I've seen in the news, including 9/11, hit me with such an intense reaction as that did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology