Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. I was always told there is a correlation between the way you sneeze and the quality of your orgasms. I've been a sneezer who holds nothing back....hmmm....
What your sneeze says about your personality - The Body Odd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,127 times
The sexual part at the end was interesting, though I've heard that before.

The repression vs. hedonistic behavior was even more telling, I'm thinking of people I know, and people I work with now and how they sneeze.

I personally sneeze differently in different places and situations as I think most people do.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM

541 posts, read 1,140,201 times
Haha! I hate it when I need to sneeze and I lose it. I start looking at the light to try and sneeze.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
I'm just the opposite. I am socially introverted, and I try to be inconspicuous. But I sneeze very vigorously, hoping that one sneeze will be sufficient, but I usually have to sneeze about four times before I get over it.

And I disagree that there is any sexual connection. A sneeze is, by itself, an orgasm, just a different one that occurs in a different part of the body, and there is no connection. A sneeze is a controlled orgasm, and the sneezer can regulate the intensity of it consciously and intentionally. One has less control over a sexual orgasm.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,823,323 times
I have an 'orgasm' face when I sneeze (and vice versa).

A sneeze gives you the nice muscle contractions, but only in the face. Whereas, for an orgasm, the contractions all over your body.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM

67,658 posts, read 60,168,407 times
I admit it - I sort of like sneezing.

I sneeze from 8 - 15 times in a row though, nearly every time. Wonder what THAT means? LOL

I don't sneeze all that loudly but because of the sheer number of sneezes (which I honestly can't seem to control) my sneezing often alarms other people. I find myself waving my arms as I try to turn my head, because people invariably say, "God BLESS you - oh my goodness, God BLESS you - oops, God BL...God BLESS..oops, are you ok, God BLESS you - oh my!" and I want to scream "JUST WAIT TILL I'M DONE - CAN'T YOU SEE I'M A BIT OVERWHELMED AT THE MOMENT?????"

Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM

555 posts, read 798,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I sneeze from 8 - 15 times in a row though, nearly every time. Wonder what THAT means? LOL
Allergies? ;-)

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 AM

555 posts, read 798,992 times
Funny article. I disagree about the idea that sneezing style reflects personality . People sometimes think I hold back my sneezes -- and I've even been criticized for it(!). But I'm blowing out as hard as I can -- I really want those germs, allergens, etc. out asap! Sometimes the nose is just so stuffed up (not just with liquid/mucus/etc, but it feels like your sinuses are, for lack of a better word, pressurized, and no amount of blowing it will relieve the pressure) that even if you blow with all your might, you don't get much relief, and the noise you make doesn't sound like much. I remember blowing so hard one time that it felt like I'd damaged my ear.

Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,137,898 times
Hmm. My sneezes are almost pure air with an extremely small, almost unnoticeable amount of vocalization. I never attempt to stifle my sneezes; there's just no physical or psychological need for me to scream when sneezing, and I don't understand people who do. I find it incredibly rude and uncouth when people scream when sneezing. Unless you've suffered some kind of disfiguring facial damage, your cranial physiology is not so different from my own that you cannot release the full air pressure of your sneeze without engaging your vocal chord muscles. In fact, doing so actually modulates and decreases the total amount of air escaping from your lungs.

Anyway, I honestly actually kind of enjoy sneezing. While it certainly doesn't feel as good as an orgasm, in an odd way it's almost as psychologically satisfying as one.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,446 times
I was always told that sneezes are inherited, and that you sneeze like one of your parents does. I was always interested in this because I sneeze like my dad but Im adopted. So my take on it was it was a learned behavior/noise not an inherited one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology