Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 14,417 times

Advertisements

Part of me is hiding away my emotions, from other people and me. and whenever I try to reach them everything goes blank and I start crying (and I’m definitely not crying because I’m sad). it’s not just ordinary feelings and stuff it’s more deep stuff that part of me won’t let go of. and also I really hate reading something I’ve written, and the more time it’s been since I’ve written it the more I hate reading it afterwards. It’s been interfering with school because they make us do some assignments that would force me to reveal some of the deeper emotions (like creative writing especially). Reciting stuff in my head (ie, the periodic table or poetry I memorized) helps temporarily but it pretty much just distracts from the problem and then it comes back later. I’ve talked to 3 psychologists about it (but it's hard to talk because that part of me doesn’t want to let go of what I want to say). Also the school did a lot of testing but they didn’t come up with anything except that I’m not as good at verbal problems or ones that have you explain your opinion.
I don’t have any idea what could have caused this problem. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
From what you've written, it doesn't sound like you're too far off base. Just remember there's nothing new under the sun. What you're burying (refusing) to talk about is nothing new. Others have experienced it. It just feels as if you're alone with it. Get it out in the open and release its hold on you.

You'll go much further faster if you do.

eta: And forget about all that testing. There may be nothing wrong with you other than the need to resolve a bad experience or two. There are no tests for that.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM

But there are no bad experiences to resolve. Nothing at all.

And I don't know how to let go of things.
Whenever I try it just goes blank and I can't feel or think anything at all. I need something more specific than "release its hold on you". It hasn't been working.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
You say it was unproductive to talk to psychologists, because you don't know how to explain your feelings to them. Try this. Rent a bunch of movies and spend a few night watching them. Make notes of what kinds of scenes make you cry, and then tell your shrink. That will be a very good clue.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 PM

I can feel emotions "for" others exactly the way other people do. I laugh and cry at all the same times in movies. In fact I laugh more than other people do. My brother says I laugh like a newborn hyena. It's uncannily accurate.

All the ordinary, momentary feelings are there. I just don't know what my emotions are, inside. It's all blank. :|

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM

No bad experiences? No fears? You're not angry or upset with someone or something? What makes you happy? What are you thinking about when you're crying? What's the worst thing that's happened to you? What's the best? Start asking some questions.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong at all. Most people aren't exuberantly happy or severly depressed. We're usually just feeling "eh, ok" as we go about out day.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM

But winterbird, this is interfering with school. I'm expected to do assignments for school and some of them require me to let go of things inside. Which I cannot let go of because I cannot find inside myself.

And also, it's not just that other people can't see what's inside. It's me too. That's what everyone seems to miss.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Don't take any more creative writing courses. Problem solved.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 AM

Not taking creative writing. I'm in junior high. It's mandatory.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 AM

Well if you're in Jr. High, some of the feeling/non-feeling issues may be due to hormonal fluctuations, diet, exercise/lack thereof. It may just be a form of growing pains. It will level out. If you think you are in any danger personally or have a desire to endanger others, seek help from your parents, teachers/counselors or some other authority figure asap.

You'll be fine. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology