Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

What is the difference first of all? Are you born this way or do you become later in life?

I am watching Criminal Minds, where the suspects supposedly are psychopaths and they are killing a

bunch of innocent people.

However, they seem to be in love with each other. Showing real emotions. How is that possible if they

can't feel love? Or can they feel....something?

Also, do all psychopaths kill or is it possible that people can be psychopaths and still be "normal" citizens?

Just some things I have been thinking about today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Hare notes that sociopathy and psychopathy are often used interchangeably, but in some cases the term sociopathy is preferred because it is less likely than is psychopathy to be confused with psychoticism, whereas in other cases which term is used may "reflect the user's views on the origins and determinates of the disorder," with the term sociopathy preferred by those that see the causes as due to social factors and early environment, and the term psychopathy preferred by those who believe that there are psychological, biological, and genetic factors involved in addition to environmental factors.[39]

Psychopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find Wikipedia very useful when I wonder about things like this.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Both.
But seriously, I've always understood that when they're not used interchangably, that the psychopath is the crazier acting lunatic that is sadistic while a sociopath presents mostly as a regular person, all the while they're both affected by the same basic disorder (lack of ability to empathize, etc.).

Honestly, I still don't quite understand what a sociopath is even though I've tried reading to figure it out. It's a difficult concept to grasp. But I think they're supposed to be very good manipulators and can like pretend to be something they're not. For example, one if motivated and wanted to could pretend to be a teacher with a history and apply and get a teaching position even though they were never a teacher and don't have a teaching degree. They may even have stories (made up, or borrowed) of their favorite past students, etc. Very convincing. On the more sadistic side, I believe they can like hurt a dog (which when a dog yelps it makes most of us feel bad, like if we step on it), but the psychopath if he wants to hurt the dog he might do it just to hear the dog yelp and sort of "experiment" on the dog's reactions without feeling bad for hurting the dog or reacting to it's pain like most of us would. Anybody who knows better, does that sound about right? (I don't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully this adds to it.)

Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
But seriously, I've always understood that when they're not used interchangably, that the psychopath is the crazier acting lunatic that is sadistic while a sociopath presents mostly as a regular person, all the while they're both affected by the same basic disorder (lack of ability to empathize, etc.).

Honestly, I still don't quite understand what a sociopath is even though I've tried reading to figure it out. It's a difficult concept to grasp. But I think they're supposed to be very good manipulators and can like pretend to be something they're not. For example, one if motivated and wanted to could pretend to be a teacher with a history and apply and get a teaching position even though they were never a teacher and don't have a teaching degree. They may even have stories (made up, or borrowed) of their favorite past students, etc. Very convincing. On the more sadistic side, I believe they can like hurt a dog (which when a dog yelps it makes most of us feel bad, like if we step on it), but the psychopath if he wants to hurt the dog he might do it just to hear the dog yelp and sort of "experiment" on the dog's reactions without feeling bad for hurting the dog or reacting to it's pain like most of us would. Anybody who knows better, does that sound about right? (I don't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully this adds to it.)
The hallmark of sociopathy is the inability to feel empathy for other beings. Take you example of hurting the dog. They understand that the dog is in pain, and that they are causing it, but they don't get the same experience of sympathetic pain that other people might get when they see the dog in pain.

Sociopaths also don't learn very well from punishment during operant conditioning. They respond to rewards (things that reinforce), but punishment doesn't seem to prevent repetition the way it does with normal people.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

\

I appreciate your reply. Im trying to understand this myself which is why I did not care about Wikipedia.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
The hallmark of sociopathy is the inability to feel empathy for other beings. Take you example of hurting the dog. They understand that the dog is in pain, and that they are causing it, but they don't get the same experience of sympathetic pain that other people might get when they see the dog in pain.

Sociopaths also don't learn very well from punishment during operant conditioning. They respond to rewards (things that reinforce), but punishment doesn't seem to prevent repetition the way it does with normal people.
So what is the difference between sociopath and psychopath then? Would Ted Bundy be classified as a Psychopath or a sociopath?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So what is the difference between sociopath and psychopath then? Would Ted Bundy be classified as a Psychopath or a sociopath?
"Psychopath" isn't a clinical term; it doesn't really have hallmarks the way sociopathy does. People bandy the term "psychopath" around when they mean anything from sociopathy, malignant narcissism, antisocial personality disorder and/or psychosis. Sociopathy focuses specifically on empathy and emotional insight.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM

ahh, ok

Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I once knew a sociopath. Usually I'm a pretty good judge of character - can tell what sort of person someone is...

But his guy had me totally fooled (for a while). He was a constant liar and would lie about anything and everything. He would lie about things he had no logical reason to lie about!

Sort of a con artist, but a dysfunctional con artist at that! He could of, but did not direct his lying toward achieving any financial gain for himself. Rather he was quite broke. And his constant lying caused him to lose jobs and opportunities to support himself. Thus further reason his actions made no sense whatsoever!

For example someone would invite him to do something with them. He would agree to meet them that afternoon, the next day, or whatever. Then he would not show up. And if you found him and asked about that appointment he made, he would say "I'll be right there" and then would again not show up. And he had no feeling of guilt, sorrow, remorse, or anything else, having inconvenienced the other person.

It was as if it did not matter in the least, to him, what problems he caused other people. As if it never happened!

And same with work. He might put all sorts of mental effort into getting a job, telling tall tales of how wonderful a job he will do, etc., get the job, then not show up!

So he left people shaking their heads... Saying to themselves "Why would a person do that?"

Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
A sociopath really does not have any feelings normally associated with well adjusted people. They see killing as just like you see killing a fly in your house. A example is the recent Boston bombing. You might find a hundred willing to politically place a bomb. But doing it; especially placing that bomb next to a eight year old kid and his younger sister isn't something many could actually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology