Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

There is a TV show about hoarding. It almost makes me physically ill to watch it, and the viewers never get to see a satisfactory conclusion, yet I keep watching it.
I wonder why?
I'm neat, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
It is like watching a train wreck. You don't want to watch but you can't look away. I don't watch it all the time, but I have watched it enough to understand the format and recognized the doctors and organizers.

I have learned quite a bit, even though I think the show encourages confrontation. The hoarders are almost always sufferers, and their families are almost always in pain because of this behavior.

Some of the homes are hair raising. I don't know how people live in such filth. But apparently some do.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Because it defies human logic that someone could choose to live in squalor and be resistant to assistance in cleaning it up. These people are really screwed up, mentally - some have been traumatized, and some are just lazy slobs with no remorse or desire to live healthy lives. Many of them do not care what they put their families through (including their children, who often have to suffer, immeasurably).

Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I watch Hoarders, Hoarders:Buried Alive, Animal Hoarders and last night saw a new one called OCD Hoarders I think it was called. I just find it interesting that anyone can live that way. Sometimes I can barely look, like when they find dead animals, there are human and animal feces in the home, or when there are roaches etc. running all over. They are interesting shows.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Because it defies human logic that someone could choose to live in squalor and be resistant to assistance in cleaning it up. These people are really screwed up, mentally - some have been traumatized, and some are just lazy slobs with no remorse or desire to live healthy lives. Many of them do not care what they put their families through (including their children, who often have to suffer, immeasurably).
^^^This.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Years ago,before all the shoes on Hoarders - the talk shows would do a hoarder piece from time to time - I ALWAYS turned in for those.

I watch because I just can not wrap my mind around why/how able bodied people live that way. Or the number of nurses, teachers, firefighters etc that they have shown. People that you'd think "have it together"

I'm guilty of lurking on the "stepping out of squalor" message board - I've been reading over there on and off for a while, and I still can't figure out what makes those people tick.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a TV show about hoarding. It almost makes me physically ill to watch it, and the viewers never get to see a satisfactory conclusion, yet I keep watching it.
I wonder why?
I'm neat, by the way.

You can stop watching hoarders all you have to do is push the power button on that remote control or television and magically that program disappears. You just do not want to quit watching hoarders.

I haven't watched television for about 15 years now and trust me you will not miss a thing. If I did not have my husband I would not have a television but he loves the television and he works hard so I think he should be able to sit in front of the television with the cable package that I pay so much for each month and sleep to his hearts content.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can stop watching hoarders all you have to do is push the power button on that remote control or television and magically that program disappears. .
There's a power button on the remote?? You mean the button that is red, as a warning to never touch it?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I find it inspiring to watch! It makes me feel motivated to clean out closets and drawers!

I also find it appalling how people can have a mental health condition that goes untreated so long that they destroy not only their families, but often even the very dwelling they have trashed.

It is hard to comprehend that someone can't "see" and rectify such things as huge cobwebs hanging from the ceilings and in the corners. I keep thinking - well dern - if nothing else, seems like they could whisk away the cobwebs!

When I see all the trash on the floor - and I mean real trash as in empty bottles, cans, mail, newspapers, and pizza boxes - I am so perplexed as to why someone would not simply get trash bags and pick that stuff up instead of walking on it.

Not all hoarders are nasty. I have seen several episodes of folks that vacuumed and mopped and cleaned around the stacks of plastic tubs, dolls on beds (neatly arranged and regularly dusted, but completely covering the beds and other furniture) . . . yet every inch of the house was stacked, piled or covered with items. That type of hoarding I can understand better than garbage being mixed in with everything else.

I just can't fathom choosing to live in filth. Accumulating objects that a person has trouble letting go of - that I get. But just piling things up, allowing bathrooms to be full of scum and trash and hair around the sink, toilets that have never been cleaned - that is beyond my comprehension.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I watched it once. It was like watching a slow-motion road kill. Once was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology