Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you feel the majority of people are like that, are you like that yourself, and does it make you uncomfortable to live in such a world? It actually seems as scary as the evil itself, and is an evil in itself IMO. People seem to get a high out of righteous anger and relish the prospect of revenge. Of course I've felt pangs of it, but I usually keep it under control and I feel mercy quite easily. I find this is related to people overreacting towards people who may hurt or upset a loved one, e.g. a father wanting to kill a man who rapes his daughter. It seems many people feel this is acceptable behaviour, which actually disturbs me.
I always thought I was alone in this. I feel the exact same way. It has bugged me my whole life. I never understood it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I am not much a fan of the death penalty, especially since in the U.S. at least we don't have the will to enforce it. Even if I thought the death penalty was a wonderful thing, if it takes 10 to 15 years and often millions of dollars of public money to house, convict, hear appeals, and generally mess around before finally doing the deed, then what it is the point? It's no deterrent that way. Effective justice must be reasonably swift or at least expeditious, and it must be reasonably certain, too.

And yet ... there's something about the Jodi Arias case that makes me glad for the death penalty, at least in that particular situation. She will keep torturing her victim's family until she is silenced. I truly see nothing but gain for society in shutting her pie-hole once and for all. If it takes 10 years, at her age it's probably 20 or 30 years less that she will be able to posture and taunt and manipulate from behind bars. And if 29 stab wounds, near-decapitation and a kill shot to the head doesn't deserve the death penalty, then nothing does.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
An "eye for eye". I sat next to a pedophile outprocessing him. He had molested his son and daughter and only got caught when there was a party and he attempted to molest the children of other parents. Keep in mind, outprocessing as he was going home and excited about seeing his wife again (he wouldn't want want to see me again and I doubt he would have needed a prison when I found out he molested my kids! Yes I am one of those people and it would go beyond just saying it). This man was going home and he was at the highest level for reoffending. I outprocessed another man in his early 20's that molested two little girls at a playground while his wife stood watch to make sure no one saw him, evidently, she fell asleep on the job. I saw the drawings by the little girls of what the man had done to them. He was sent back into society. I was told that I had to process them because the supervisor trusted that I would not be inappropriate and she didn't trust the others. I'm not just talking, if you need someone to string them up, let me know. My preference would be spread eagle in the desert tied with wet rawhide. These people are not even animals, they are fungus! Not the good kind of fungus either!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
And then in Sweden prisoners are kept in an almost apartment like setting...
Swedish Prison - Gallery
Why do you use a link from ebaumsworld?

This closer to the truth:

Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
An "eye for eye". I sat next to a pedophile outprocessing him. He had molested his son and daughter and only got caught when there was a party and he attempted to molest the children of other parents. Keep in mind, outprocessing as he was going home and excited about seeing his wife again (he wouldn't want want to see me again and I doubt he would have needed a prison when I found out he molested my kids! Yes I am one of those people and it would go beyond just saying it). This man was going home and he was at the highest level for reoffending. I outprocessed another man in his early 20's that molested two little girls at a playground while his wife stood watch to make sure no one saw him, evidently, she fell asleep on the job. I saw the drawings by the little girls of what the man had done to them. He was sent back into society. I was told that I had to process them because the supervisor trusted that I would not be inappropriate and she didn't trust the others. I'm not just talking, if you need someone to string them up, let me know. My preference would be spread eagle in the desert tied with wet rawhide. These people are not even animals, they are fungus! Not the good kind of fungus either!
Yes some of them should be locked up for life, probably be safer from the folks with pitchforks and torches anyway lol. I wonder what an eye for an eye would be when it comes to punishing pedophiles, maybe being raped by a beast of burden?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am not much a fan of the death penalty, especially since in the U.S. at least we don't have the will to enforce it. Even if I thought the death penalty was a wonderful thing, if it takes 10 to 15 years and often millions of dollars of public money to house, convict, hear appeals, and generally mess around before finally doing the deed, then what it is the point? It's no deterrent that way. Effective justice must be reasonably swift or at least expeditious, and it must be reasonably certain, too.

And yet ... there's something about the Jodi Arias case that makes me glad for the death penalty, at least in that particular situation. She will keep torturing her victim's family until she is silenced. I truly see nothing but gain for society in shutting her pie-hole once and for all. If it takes 10 years, at her age it's probably 20 or 30 years less that she will be able to posture and taunt and manipulate from behind bars. And if 29 stab wounds, near-decapitation and a kill shot to the head doesn't deserve the death penalty, then nothing does.
I just googled who Jodi Arias was. Yes, that is horrific, especially for a woman. That she used the domestic abuse card would be laughable if it wasn't so odious.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
This has bothered me for my entire life too. It almost makes me side with the criminals sometimes, lol just kidding. But I think some of the most blood thirsty and hateful people are the ones who are the most self righteous.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
OP, you need to look up information on Stanley Milgram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology