Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM

85 posts, read 159,332 times

Advertisements

I need some insight on this issue - what is it and how to stop doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 AM

626 posts, read 903,000 times
how old are you? Please note, I'm not being rude or facetious.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I don't know much. I don't think we're talking normal relationships, in which you do look after and care for one another. I think its like when a shrink labels one person's behavior sick or finds some other label to put on it. But they have a cohort that kind of aids their behavior. Maybe like a Sadist/Masochist type relationship. More likely you might have someone that is very insecure/neurotic, but they have a spouse that gets satisfaction or pleasure from being a rescuer or helper in the situation, so they don't really help them overcome their problem, they actually encourage it because they benefit from being their enabler.

Woody Allen told a great joke about this. It seems one brother had a delusion that he was a chicken. The other brother would have liked to help, but he couldn't cause he needed the eggs.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
how old are you? Please note, I'm not being rude or facetious.
Why does age matter?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Codependency can happen when someone is younger, less informed, when someone has all the power in the relationship either by money, power, control etc. or a lot of time co-dependence can happen through mental or physical illness or drug use etc.

Someone normally is enabling the codependency.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie stix View Post
Irony....

Co-dependency ? Google is your friend. Educate yourself, then ask a better question.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie stix View Post
It is caretaking, especially caretaking when you are doing things for someone who ought to be doing them for himself or herself, and especially when that person has a problem, such as alcoholism and the co-dependent covers for them, cleans up after them, etc.

The co-dependent has issues. A normal, healthy person doesn't allow another sick person to control their life that way.

If substance abuse is involved, Al-Anon or Nar-Anon groups can help. Therapy is always a good idea.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Irony....

Co-dependency ? Google is your friend. Educate yourself, then ask a better question.
@AverageGuy2006 - I asked Google which generated about 1,170,000 results - almost all of them were better than the response you provided.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't know much. I don't think we're talking normal relationships, in which you do look after and care for one another. I think its like when a shrink labels one person's behavior sick or finds some other label to put on it. But they have a cohort that kind of aids their behavior. Maybe like a Sadist/Masochist type relationship. More likely you might have someone that is very insecure/neurotic, but they have a spouse that gets satisfaction or pleasure from being a rescuer or helper in the situation, so they don't really help them overcome their problem, they actually encourage it because they benefit from being their enabler.

Woody Allen told a great joke about this. It seems one brother had a delusion that he was a chicken. The other brother would have liked to help, but he couldn't cause he needed the eggs.
Great joke. Love Woody Allen

*Thank you for your thought out response.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 10,714 times
It's giving up your own needs to care for (or control) the needs of others. The other person in the relationship (the dependent) is usually affected by an illness or condition which is often mental, physical or emotional. In the long run, you end up feeling depleted, stressed out, angry and resentful toward the person you're 'caring' for. For both individuals, they're feelings are dependent upon what the other person feels. If you're happy, I'm happy....if you're upset, then I'm upset. You have difficulty existing apart from each other's lives.

You can go to Coda (codependents anonymous) or if this person has a substance abuse issue- you can find support in Naranon or Alanon. They can help support you and possibly break your codependent patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology