Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
No prob, I always admit my posts are lengthy. I'm super attentive to making sure I'm being really clear. Plus, to me, posting is like therapy. I like to completely articulate my feelings on something, then I can move on and not carry it around in my head. when I get a few people validating me or adding to what I stated, all the better.
But since I tend to be wordy, I'm kind enough to check my grammar, and separate things into short paragraphs. To me, a "wall of text" is the non-stop, run-on, blah blah blah with no breaks or white space.
True, and now that I think on it, yours is nothing like those...

When I actually see a post that you've started, I make sure I read it because I know I'll either laugh or smile all the way through...while also interested in your main theme. Anyway, thanks!

It's interesting though...there are just some posters I will skip right over...I get that not everyone can type well, but the beauty of the computer is that you can take your time and reread it, or spellcheck etc. Run on sentences with no clear thought are a bit much...so folks, if you truly want to express yourself, give it a little thought. Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Aw, thanks. I can't rep you again because I must have repped you too much recently. I'm glad my attempts to keep my own sanity are actually sometimes interesting, entertaining, or helpful to others.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Yes I also hate it when people don't use periods between sentences it can be really annoying and I picture a valley girl who doesn't shut up and it can be really confusing.

Seriously though, I don't click on vague subject matters either. I'm usually too lazy to read through those giant giant paragraphs.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Seriously though, I don't click on vague subject matters either.
It's like people don't know how to pick out a few words to convey the theme of their thread!

Similarly, we have a work-order system in my company (healthcare) where people put in requests for repairs/maintenance. When you do a work-order, you're supposed to give it a title that says what the issue is, then the maintenance staff can scan through the titles and prioritize the important things first.
You'd be surprised at how many employees complain that they work-ordered some urgent issue multiple times, but no one responded. But the problem is because they didn't give it a good title.
So I go in to trouble-shoot (I'm supposed to oversee safety) and I find that even though the issue is something urgent, like a fire alarm not working or a toilet overflowing, the title of the work-order is something like "3rd floor issue" or "when you get a chance" or even "Hi Bob (Bob is a maintenance guy), I was wondering if you get a chance today, could you....." Then you click into the body of the work-order and it's something urgent. I have to teach the staff to make the title "fire alarm broken!" "Life safety issue" or "Urgent! bathroom flooding." But they just don't get how to pull out the main idea of their work-order. These must be the same people who entitle their C-D threads "don't you hate this?" or "issue I need advice on."

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Depends

I read long posts especially in areas I'm interested in. Sometimes it takes a poster many words to get their complete thought out, and I have no problem reading it. It doesn't take long as usually is easy reading.

Great insights and ideas are shared on long posts, and posts with vague titles too.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I read long posts especially in areas I'm interested in. Sometimes it takes a poster many words to get their complete thought out, and I have no problem reading it. It doesn't take long as usually is easy reading.

Great insights and ideas are shared on long posts, and posts with vague titles too.
Maybe, but there are hundreds of thread titles to sift through and only an hour or two to read the most interesting threads. I treat City-Data (CD) the same way that I treat Yahoo News or The Huffington Post; I only click on the articles that have interesting headlines.

I don't want to spend more than 1 or 2 hours a couple days a week on CD. I have to give my other hobbies and interests (i.e., volunteering, tutoring, robbing banks and liquor stores when I'm bored, taking naps, watching cartoons, traveling, making moonshine, playing the banjo, etc.) some attention too.

I'm a very busy woman – I have no time for super-long paragraphs and vague threads .

Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM

I kind of crack up at the posts in the "People Search" forum. It clearly says to include the name of the person you're looking for in the title of the post, but if you look at all the (unanswered) threads, it's all "Looking for my father," "I need help," "trying to find biological mother." Um, good luck with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology