Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Unlike me, my current wife grew up in the Bay Area and had some contact with LSD, pot, etc., in her salad days. Like a lot of people who had casual and non-addictive drug experimentation, she feels it was a worthwhile and consciousness-expanding experience and insists she is going to get me a hit or two at some point to loosen me up. On the other hand I don't know that I particularly want to be loosened up, nor does the idea of losing control of my perceptual and thinking equipment appeal to me. I am not opposed to it, just wary of it. I am non-responsive to a lot of other modalities anyway ... meditation and other approaches to nonduality seem to bounce off me. I am a little concerned about what ingesting a non-quality-controlled mind altering substance might do to me or open me up to as an unintended consequence and I really don't want to introduce new variables into my life at this point.

Even my wife had a bad experience with a prescribed sleep med once, it caused profound auditory hallucinations that she still has traces of once in awhile, probably 15 or 20 years later. She would hear elaborate orchestral music that sounded like it was coming from the next room and would keep her awake nights.

My prior late wife had atypical reactions to morphine and would have horrific visual hallucinations on it.

So I would approach anything like this with extreme caution. In an ideal world I'd want to have quality controlled and properly measured dosages under the supervision of an experienced health care professional. Not that this is likely to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Btw, I took Dr. Grof's Breathwork Holotropic Workshop...
Fabulous....unknown to people?
3 hours, blindfolded, laying down, listening to pounding wonderful music...then 3 hrs
watching your partner, as they did you...so 6 hrs in a dark room listening to
fabulous pounding instrumentals, drumming, chanting from many cultures, angelic,
New agey, wow.
All looking within, breathing pretty relaxedly...a basic discription.

All to "imitate" what LSD does to the brain/mind.

To this day I will relax with head phones for an hr, undisturbed looking at my Third Eye.
Ah....wonderful...no disturbances of any kind...
This Trance video has visual effects that come (uncomfortably ) close to '60s Orange Sunshine or window-pane's breathtaking, glorious hallucinations:

(HD) Sydney Blu - Give It Up For Me (Original Mix) - YouTube

I think LSD might help certain people with emotional issues [I saw it happen in fact, back in high school] but agreed it can also be so horrendously dangerous.

As a side note, wasn't there a some correlation proposed between the 60/70s psychedelic drug boom and the nature/ecology awareness trend? I remember a trip walking through a beautiful forest, looking up and clearly sensing it was breathing. I haven't been the same since.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:56 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Imagine!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 AM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
Timothy Leary was before his time.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Did LSD influence the nature/ecology awareness trend?

Ahh...LSD changed everything.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Did LSD influence the nature/ecology awareness trend?

Ahh...LSD changed everything.

Especially the music

Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
I couldn't imagine LSD being good for any form of mental therapy. Maybe it could be used to tap into the sub conscious like hypnoses, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives, and there are probably much better psychedelic drugs for clinical use. LSD is dangerous stuff. I've tried almost every recreational drug you could think of in my youth, and the one thing that I will tell young people that are experimenting with those types of drugs is to avoid LSD. LSD is another animal when it comes to tripping. Some good mushrooms can get you to almost the same place without the risk of seriously messing your head up. A bad trip that lasts 10 hours is a lot different than one that last 2-4 hours that your body can actually reject if it's too much.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I have nothing against recreation use of any drug by any person who wants it and believe the drug wars are a mistake.

I have done a bit of research on lobotomies though and it sickens my stomach to see pictures taken of what is or was essentially legalized murder... the person who was there before the procedure is being murdered, with the picture showing the icepick in their eye.. live murder on camera.. the person who was there is no longer, only a shell of a person remains.... glad we are past those days... where simply being too hyper was cause to get a procedure like this done...

Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I never had a bad trip on acid and attempted to use it to control/abstain from alcohol, somewhat successfully.

I knew enough to know there was a time and a place for it and to be careful with it. It was a very powerful drug from my experience and mixing other drugs with it, a really bad idea in itself, didn't change the high much at all. When I was trippin, it's like I was stone-free.

I recall it being a good idea to do that drug at night and get home and to bed as the sun is rising. Expect a rough comedown and be prepared to sleep it off.

Now, to experiment with LSD in a clinical setting, that just fascinates me. Anybody read Carlos Castaneda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology