Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM

588 posts, read 957,318 times

Advertisements

There's a book by Byron Katie that talks about perception. Creating one's reality. Can't remember the name of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think its how one's perception of the world is. If you see good in the world and not all negative.
Sure, you read about how the same negative event can happen to a bunch of people, say, a delayed flight. Some will curse and complain, pacing nervously as they wait...while the others will choose that time to catch up on a good book, take a nap, or whatever.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Being happy is the most important thing to me every minute.
It is my GPS telling me how connected I am with my Source or Reality.
Of course, my Reality is that in every atom and particle the essence of everything
is Bliss or Sat Chit Anand, or Divine Love...whatever the lingo.

If I feel anything other than contentment, confidence, power, clarity, kindness, joy, etc,
etc....I am off course or in some zone not connected to who I really am....not to get spiritual in the Psychology section... but I am not connected to my Lord, Father Creator, God.

It takes practice. But mostly, it takes the wisdom to know that Reality and the desire to live in that Truth that all is wonderful and we are here to enjoy. (Not suffer.)

Hey, yesterday my car cost me $400 and the "knocking" still wasn't fixed!
I think I couldn't have had a more fun day...and I was aware of, "Shouldn't I be upset?"
Ha! Nope....I am on auto pilot at this point...Reality of what this life is and who I am and the Divine Presence all around me is WAY my priority.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,466 times
Happiness is a choice. Look for the silver linings. See the good in people.

My personal opinion is those who have really suffered and learned from it have come out the other side realizing you waste nothing but your own short time here on earth being miserable. Choose to be happy instead. You will find it is a habit and the longer you make the decision to be happy, the better your life will be on a day to day basis.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Being happy is the most important thing to me every minute.
It is my GPS telling me how connected I am with my Source or Reality.
Of course, my Reality is that in every atom and particle the essence of everything
is Bliss or Sat Chit Anand, or Divine Love...whatever the lingo.

If I feel anything other than contentment, confidence, power, clarity, kindness, joy, etc,
etc....I am off course or in some zone not connected to who I really am....not to get spiritual in the Psychology section... but I am not connected to my Lord, Father Creator, God.

It takes practice. But mostly, it takes the wisdom to know that Reality and the desire to live in that Truth that all is wonderful and we are here to enjoy. (Not suffer.)

Hey, yesterday my car cost me $400 and the "knocking" still wasn't fixed!
I think I couldn't have had a more fun day...and I was aware of, "Shouldn't I be upset?"
Ha! Nope....I am on auto pilot at this point...Reality of what this life is and who I am and the Divine Presence all around me is WAY my priority.
Wow!! I strive to have your mindset!
And absolutely! It is perfectly okay to get spiritual on this thread.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Happiness is a choice. Look for the silver linings. See the good in people.

My personal opinion is those who have really suffered and learned from it have come out the other side realizing you waste nothing but your own short time here on earth being miserable. Choose to be happy instead. You will find it is a habit and the longer you make the decision to be happy, the better your life will be on a day to day basis.
Mmmhmm. I agree. Time can go by r e a l l y s l o wwwww when you focus on the negative. Trust me. LOL!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Something I've noticed: People riding bicycles in 100 degree temperatures, smiling to themselves, and this guy I see all the time who walks to the library, singing and talking to himself, whistling even...These individuals seem so happy!
On the other hand, pulling up to a red light, I see a woman in her air conditioned car smoking a cigarrette, or a man yelling at someone on his cell phone, so pissed off. I used to think that what happens to us determines whether we're content or miserable. Yet lately I'm beginning to believe it's our mindset that encourages our mood.
I really admire people who, no matter what life throws their way, they smile and just, you know, make the best of it.
In my opinion happiness results when a person is able to have a certain perspective about their lives. In almost every situation it can always be worse (though there definitely are exceptions when you have or almost have it as worse as it can possibly be). Unless someone literally has nothing to eat, drink, are without shelter in freezing temperatures (or exposed to extreme heat) or are being subjected to physical pain without mitigation, (there are many other situations I can come up with), that person really does have something to be grateful for (besides all those things I mentioned, there is hardly a day which passes in which I am not thankful for indoor plumbing and not being in the situation of being buried alive).

Now--certainly this doesn't remove the circumstance where one can have *happiness* for much else comes with that feeling beyond the mere cessation of having want for our physical needs. Yet it might remove some of the focus on what we *want* and help us to rather see what we do have and perhaps in that way there can begin a feeling a gratefulness which can lead to other positive feelings.

Unfortunately however, there are some individuals that, no matter if all these things are in place, they will yet be unable to experience a pleasant feeling (at all times or some of the time) due to an imbalance of chemicals in their body. It is fortunate that this society does have medicine which may help with that, but it does not cure all those in this situation either because of some physiological aberration or it is just that person's choice, for whatever reason, to eschew the possible benefits of modern medication.

Yet, even though it might not bring happiness, it is my belief that having a certain perspective (what I might call a realistic perspective perhaps) can bring about the relief of much emotional distress that many people experience.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 14,810 times
I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I don't know if it's always choice...

Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Wow!! I strive to have your mindset!
And absolutely! It is perfectly okay to get spiritual on this thread.
Hi Mia,
I coach many people...and ya know what... it is really easy...what I say is
If you really want to lose weight...surround yourself with books of testimonials from
Weight Loss books...read about incredible low cal recipes to pump yourself up.
Want to exercise and develop some abs? Get a Muscle Magazine look at fit bodies and read about
regimens and protein powders...inspire yourself.
Same with God or a positive attitude...surround yourself first with books...anything
from the Gita, Abraham-Hicks, the ecstatic poetry of Hafiz or Kabir, maybe stories from the
Mystics of every culture...inspire yourself that this is what u want...what they have, what they have experienced.

It's like we are inundated with pessimissm, fear and worry...on TV, in the news... why, even anchormen will
'cloud' our minds saying a rainy day is gloomy...when it is fabulous!

We have to re-program our minds to know we can be and do and have anything we want.
We still live in this 3rd dimension and stuff happens, oh well....I actually see that I want to buy a more gas efficient car...
All is perfect to get me off my butt and do it...yesterday I test drove a Nissan Versa to see if
I could drive such a small car...and it turns out it was very comfy.
All is perfect...never doubt that...everything happens for a reason and it is always for the good.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Perspective and choice....
Anyone hear of "A Course In Miracles"? (ACIM)

You know what the "miracle" is?
A change in your perspective.
Ha!

I highly recommend the book and or taking The Course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology