Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,868,656 times

Advertisements

Whooo, a little over a hundred men altogether, and they've come to this conclusion! Excuse me while I send out a national press! This is bad research, I'm surprised it got published at all.

No Kids? Men More Depressed About It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,453,949 times
Didn't read the article but could it also mean, depressed men don't have kids (because nobody will marry them)?

But if the cause is no kids and the effect is depression then it does make sense.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM

20,234 posts, read 13,645,153 times
I had two kids and love them to death but if I had it to do over again, I'd reject it as an irrational proposition. Lots of grueling work for uncertain outcome and appreciation.

Also in my experience we dudes have a much more casual attachment to kids and parenting than women do. I am quite close to my stepson, closer than to my own son, but as upset as I'd be if something happened to him, I know who would be way more devastated ... my wife.

So no, I'm not buying this "guys are more depressed at not having kids" thing, either.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM

582 posts, read 1,122,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Didn't read the article but could it also mean, depressed men don't have kids (because nobody will marry them)?

But if the cause is no kids and the effect is depression then it does make sense.
I did read the article and here's what I gathered from it... assuming I read it correctly because the figures were a little hard to understand :

Robin Hadley of the United Kingdom's Keele University polled 27 men and 81 women (total of 108 participants, all were child-free either by choice or by chance; most were white, heterosexual, employed full-time with an average age of 41).

The poll/survey was conducted via an online questionnaire (people are always 100% honest when responding to online questionnaires, right ?). Of the 27 men, 16 of them (59%) said that they wanted kids. Of those 16 men who wanted kids, 8 of them "said they experienced isolation because they weren't parents."

8 men... not 80, 800 or 8000 men, 8 men out of 16 from an online poll/survey lead to these "findings." What results would you uncover if you performed a similar online poll/survey?

How would you confirm that all of the participants were indeed child-free? How would you confirm the sex of each participant? How would you confirm the age of each participant? How would you confirm anything about each participant? How would you present your "findings" to anyone with a straight face ?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,711,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Whooo, a little over a hundred men altogether, and they've come to this conclusion! Excuse me while I send out a national press! This is bad research, I'm surprised it got published at all.

There was only 27 men and 81 women polled..i don't see where you get 100 men at.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM

506 posts, read 962,154 times
Wow, I was thinking this might be interesting until I clicked the link and read about the 27 men and 81 women polled. This figured isn't even worth considering with the low and obscure of people polled.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,624,956 times
Who is to blame for all that Prozac they found in London and NYC drinking water supply, I doubt it's childless men who gulped enough of the anti-depressant pills to affect chemical composition of drinking water in their cities.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,152,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Also in my experience we dudes have a much more casual attachment to kids and parenting than women do. I am quite close to my stepson, closer than to my own son, but as upset as I'd be if something happened to him, I know who would be way more devastated ... my wife.
I don't know man. Part of the reason I am reluctant to have children is because if something happened to them, I would be so crushed I think my mind would implode. I seriously don't think I could go through something like that and remain sane.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,268,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

An online questionnaire to boot. Next to a mental hospital, I cannot think of a place less likely to produce credible subjects.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM

20,234 posts, read 13,645,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I don't know man. Part of the reason I am reluctant to have children is because if something happened to them, I would be so crushed I think my mind would implode. I seriously don't think I could go through something like that and remain sane.
Well I've already lost a brother, a wife, and my parents ... I am becoming almost inured to it and I kind of need to since, as the youngest of four brothers by a full 10 years it is likely that I will be the last one to turn the lights out in my family. I'm 56 now and my surviving brothers are 66 and 71, so the next decade or so is going to be difficult in that regard.

The unthinkable is the unthinkable until you've experienced it.

Another aspect to it is that at some point in life you realize that nothing and no-one is permanent. Loved ones can be taken from you at any time, for any reason or no reason. If you're not okay with that (and if you're not, I totally understand ... if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would be) then you're right to abstain from the whole absurd dance.

On the other hand, if life and death are what they are, do you limit yourself out of fear or do you go ahead anyway? It's a tough and highly personal question. It's made harder in that you can't know how so many interacting things will play out. How close and satisfying will your relationships with your kids be? And the thing is, even if it works out that you're close, it cuts both ways because the more integral any person is to your daily life, the more intensely you'll mourn them if they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology