Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM

213 posts, read 504,186 times

Advertisements

That's what I've concluded. Most of the time, people going to counseling sessions or whatever, aren't actually looking for advice; they're just looking for emotional support, a chance to vent about their life and such. It's a sign of emotional immaturity.

Watch this video about "life coaching"

P&T Bull****! 304 - Life Coaching - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Well, maybe they are. But "weak" is a relative term, and it is an absolute mathematical certainty that exactly half the people are weaker than the other half. If what life throws at us is beyond the capacity of some people to deal with safely and competently, I see nothing wrong with access to help for those who are swamped by circumstantial events.

Just as I see nothing wrong with accessible agencies to help people who, relatively speaking, have weak arms or legs or heart or lungs or brain.

Who objects to churches, to help those who are weak of spirit?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
My question is, why should anyone in therapy and counseling care what some macho meatheads think they should be doing with their own lives? I mean if all you have is criticism then what good are you to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
That's what I've concluded. Most of the time, people going to counseling sessions or whatever, aren't actually looking for advice; they're just looking for emotional support, a chance to vent about their life and such. It's a sign of emotional immaturity.

Maybe because they need emotional support. Most of life's problems don't get solved by turning on a light switch.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
My toughest friends to be around are those ignorant or in denial of
their childhood problems ... they are wounded and boy does it show.
I'm pretty sick of outbursts and misunderstanding bec they are so damaged
they don't even know how to listen without getting defensive or just weird.
My check list for a sig other has always been ...non smoker, ok if social drinker, employed, bla bla, has been in therapy or open to therapy...I should
apply it to close friends 99% of the time.

I fought going to therapy in my 30s and some of my 40s...just bec of fear.
My sister mid 60s, obese is still swallowing...grandfather incest....panic attacks galore...
It's all about fear...mainly the fear of living it all over again...not realizing
they are now adults
and have the tools to handle the recovery...and arw not to blame for what was done to them.

I m proud of people with the strength to seek help....with a good therapist or life coach.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-23-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM

50 posts, read 82,493 times
Quote:

I disagree with your conclusion, immensely. If we go on assumption, I could just as easily assume that you are saying this to feel better about yourself because you don't go to counselling. 'Look at those weaklings, they need counselling'.

Personally I believe it to be a sign of strength to want to better oneself. I could conclude that you have formed your opinion on a video, which in fact, is coaching you not to get counselling, which ironically would be a form of life coaching in itself. There is no weak or strong in this matter, it's a matter of subjectivity.

Some children go to counselling because they have been raped and abused. Would you call them weak? Similarly, those who don't have family, oprhans even, or old people without any friends left, would you call them weak for seeking out human connection, even if it is counselling? I think that your statement could be regarded as ignorant, in many ways, and ignorance is something that may be seen as a social weakness which is a far greater one than seeking emotional support. Who does anyone hurt or demean by seeing a professional?

These are just assumptions of course, but so is saying that speaking to someone in the mental health profession is weak.

Last edited by Medi; 07-23-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:

Did anyone in your life go to theraphy and you feel like the therapy didn't work? Why do you think sharing your thoughts and looking for support are signs of weakness?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
OP....Your anger is showing. Anger is usually a cover for fear. Either you are afraid to address something in therapy. Or someone you care about is getting healthy in therapy, and it is changing the status quo for you.

Seriously, there are many, many folks that benefit from all sorts of counseling, support groups, etc.
You get out of it what you put into it.

You might even say this forum, with all the replys you are getting...... is a form of psuedo counseling. Having people to vent and/or discuss issues with, , even strangers.... is very cathartic.

Your venting is a good thing. Opening a dialog with others about a topic that causes you some measure of discomfort is discussing it. Identifying what is bothering you is the first step to healing.

And, essentially that is what talk therapy is....Discussing issues, learning coping skills, all for a measure of relief regading things that are causing us discomfort or anxiety.

I strongly suggest that you reach out in person. Either for a group or some form of counseling if you have anger or other issues that need to be addressed. Good luck

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
There's a five-letter word which describes an OP like this one.

But I can't remember what it is... starts with a T, I think... anyone?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Could be, but others will click to read this thread and there is some good advice, and decent clarification regarding the benefits of exactly what the OP was opining....Just sayin

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
In the old days people had the same disdain for medical doctors. "Two heads are better the one" when it comes to figuring out whats really bothering you. Sure if you live long enough you may figure it out on your own, but what good is having some revelation at 75 years old that would have helped you be a better father to your young children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology