Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The menopause thing is interesting...

Men's Sexual Preferences Led to Menopause | LiveScience

It seems that men's preferences for younger women may have been the cause of menopause in the first place.

Regarding the biological clock, I just assumed it was being used colloquially and not at face value. Saying 'men have a ticking biological clock' basically just means men around a certain age start thinking about wanting children.

That was my take also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The menopause thing is interesting...

Men's Sexual Preferences Led to Menopause | LiveScience

It seems that men's preferences for younger women may have been the cause of menopause in the first place.

Regarding the biological clock, I just assumed it was being used colloquially and not at face value. Saying 'men have a ticking biological clock' basically just means men around a certain age start thinking about wanting children.
I think it was too until physical biological clock was brought into it. (And I think he edited the post to take out the part about hormones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstMen View Post
Except men physically don't have a biological clock, unlike women.
Quote:
In the true essence of the term "biological clock," men do not have one. Their reproductive organs do not shut down at a specified time, to never work again. This is not a topic that is up for debate.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
There's some weird things in this thread along with facts. Anyway, yes some men have a biological clock but do not believe that most men just have to have a child of their own. Some men do and they tend to be the ones who get married or impregnate women younger. The older men who claim they want children are the ones who just use this as an excuse to date younger women (and mostly fail). If a man really wanted a child he wouldn't have waited until 50 or 60 or older in most cases. I know there are exceptions but generally speaking no. Yes older sperm is defective just like older eggs and I am glad this is coming out more. My opinion is if a man is the same age as an average menopausal woman then he's to old to be a biological father as well even if he can produce sperm. People often mention Tony Randall who had kids in his 80's but he died when they were young, so not much of a father, now was he?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
well said. Abraham (the father of judiasm, christianity, and islam) had his first child at the age of 86. (for the sake of comparison, Hugh Hefner just turned 87). And if men weren't designed to have healthy children after 50, evolution would have corrected these bad seed conceptions, like enabling miscarriages.
Well - you are kind of mixing two things I said together. I do believe children are a gift at any age - but I don't deny that it gets riskier and more difficult for both women AND men the older you get. Like the studies have shown - it's not that older men cannot produce sperm - it's that the quality degrades and can lead to birth defects or no pregnancy at all.

Quote:
In the context of this thread, men do not have a biological clock. Men do not feel the need to reproduce or never do so, because they are not faced with the threat of menopause.
I believe she was speaking figuratively and not literally. The point is that there are many men that really want children - it's not just a woman thing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-26-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Btw regarding Abraham two things need to be said. First, I think they were on a different calendar so the age might be different. Second and most important Sarah was older too. She wasn't a young 20 something.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
well said. Abraham (the father of judiasm, christianity, and islam) had his first child at the age of 86. (for the sake of comparison, Hugh Hefner just turned 87). And if men weren't designed to have healthy children after 50, evolution would have corrected these bad seed conceptions, like enabling miscarriages.
Seriously? And Sarah was 90.
Not that long ago the average life expectancy was 50.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
I know a man who has two grown children with children of their own which of course made him a grandfather and then divorced his wife and re married several years later and had a child with his second wife so now his grandchildren are older than his last child. I think he is either insane or he is a better man than I am or maybe both. Anyway better him than me.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I know a man who has two grown children with children of their own which of course made him a grandfather and then divorced his wife and re married several years later and had a child with his second wife so now his grandchildren are older than his last child. I think he is either insane or he is a better man than I am or maybe both. Anyway better him than me.
My neighbor is almost like that. His grandchild is about a year younger than his youngest child. And he would like to have more children, too.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:57 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My neighbor is almost like that. His grandchild is about a year younger than his youngest child. And he would like to have more children, too.
You know what ?come to.think one of my brothers is just like that too. I don't get some men

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
You know what ?come to.think one of my brothers is just like that too. I don't get some men
Well, personally, I don't want to have a whole other family in my 50's - but that's just me. I also have a feeling that those men don't help out in the newborn phase as much as the wives do - so it's probably not quite as hard on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology