Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,968 times

Advertisements

For example: video games, television, Internet, smartphones are all debatable for calling something an addiction. Is it because people don't know what the word addiction even means? Or how much time we spend on it? There are tons of people who read to much as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
For example: video games, television, Internet, smartphones are all debatable for calling something an addiction. Is it because people don't know what the word addiction even means? Or how much time we spend on it? There are tons of people who read to much as well.

Do you know what an addiction is? A video game isn't an addiction neither is a TV or a smartphone. A cigarette or a gram of cocaine aren't addictions either.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,524 times

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Just like every coach who wins the Superbowl is a "genius".
And every team that wins back to back championships is a "dynasty".

Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
First of all, you can be physically or psychologically addicted to something.

Then an element of addiction is what happens when the drug or activity is no longer available to the person. Typically distress or physical withdrawal symptoms.

With that said, I have witnessed two separate young people have their cell phones (texting devices) break. Both people went into a state of "mental agitation", almost like a chicken with its head cut off running around in circles flapping its wings!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Because it is an addiction... People get addicted. Ever try going to work without your phone?

Cut off your Internet access for a month. There will times where you say to yourself, "Damn! Now, I have to go to the library or sit at Starbucks with my laptop."

As defined by Merriam-Webster, "compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance".

If you ever go out to dinner with a group of people, have everyone put their phones in the center of the table. Whoever touches their phone first has to pay the bill.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
People get addicted to all sorts of things, including video games and technology. It becomes an addiction when it had a negative effect on your life, and you can't stop engaging in it even though there are negative consequences. My Mom had an elderly neighbor who was addicted to QVC shopping, she spent a large amount of her limited funds on it, and would get my Mom to agree to allow the packages to be delivered to my Mom's house so that her daughter didn't find out how much she was buying.

I also had a friend who was very smart, but ended up flunking out of college due to a Dungeons and Dragons addiction.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
As of now, there is no formal diagnosis for video game addiction, although we all seem to know someone who's compulsive about playing. Video Game Addiction Statistics - Facts, Percentages, & Numbers - TechAddiction

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People get addicted to all sorts of things, including video games and technology. It becomes an addiction when it had a negative effect on your life, and you can't stop engaging in it even though there are negative consequences. My Mom had an elderly neighbor who was addicted to QVC shopping, she spent a large amount of her limited funds on it, and would get my Mom to agree to allow the packages to be delivered to my Mom's house so that her daughter didn't find out how much she was buying.

I also had a friend who was very smart, but ended up flunking out of college due to a Dungeons and Dragons addiction.
That's what happens when the only reward in society is money. oops....

Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
It's an addiction especially when people are in denial.

Addictions are an escape from reality.

Anything done in excess will cause problems.

With technology, one can zone out and lose the ability to personally relate to people on a human level where face-to-face contact's required and actual social skills dwindle.

This creates problems on a very unhealthy level because we're social creatures and our ability to survive is by way of relating to one another in the real world, offline, and off impersonal mediums like computers, cell phones, etc., etc. But, maybe Stephen Hawking who argues that our way of survival is through materialism in our evolution may be right.. maybe not. It's still bogus though, especially if we can't extract enough natural resources to create the technology that somehow has helped us to progress and regress at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology