Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You could always try minding your own business.
I would agree with you on this if the OP had stuck her nose where it didnt' belong, but its sounds like the co worker was addressing the room with her 'weight issues' and it sounds like it happens a lot. I would've said the same thing just to shut her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I work with a lot of women like that. When we have had staff potlucks they circle the table like vultures for several minutes before getting food and then provide a running commentary of the nutritional content of the food. I sit as far away from them as I can. I find it very annoying.

I HATE staff potlucks!!! Where I work we are divided into teams, and you are required to bring something. Different teams bring different category items, main dish, sides, desserts, but I'm not going to eat any of it. I get it it's a team building thing, but I have no idea about the food preparation at other peoples houses. For all I know they could have 50 cats, or be a hoarder! Then you all sit together, and I get the you should get some food comments which I politely decline stating I've had a large breakfast, not hungry, or whatever the truth maybe because I don't eat lunch at work ever. Then you hear all the OMG I ate too much comments starting up, and the ohhh I ate to much I'm sick, and l'm going to get more. Come on people control yourselves!

I'm with you I sit with the other non-eaters, and try to tune the feeding frenzy out, and listen to the presentation.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
^^^^ Years ago I was. In a similar situation...I know for a fact that one giy who regularly brought a rolled tortilla appetizer that he personally made never washed his hands after pooing.

I refused to participate and was labelled a heretic. I used to laugh when they would taunt me that I was missing out.... I was happy to not be eating from that Petri dish!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ Years ago I was. In a similar situation...I know for a fact that one giy who regularly brought a rolled tortilla appetizer that he personally made never washed his hands after pooing.

I refused to participate and was labelled a heretic. I used to laugh when they would taunt me that I was missing out.... I was happy to not be eating from that Petri dish!

No kidding! I will go in on catered meals, but not potluck. No way, no how.

Not too long ago we had a lunch catered (we all chipped in) and a coworker get ticked because we wouldn't let him take food home for his family.

He wouldn't put money in the pot, but expected to eat from it. He does this at potlucks as well, he won't bring food, but he'll eat it and bring containers home for his family. And no, his family isn't hungry, he's just entitled.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I HATE staff potlucks!!! Where I work we are divided into teams, and you are required to bring something. Different teams bring different category items, main dish, sides, desserts, but I'm not going to eat any of it. I get it it's a team building thing, but I have no idea about the food preparation at other peoples houses. For all I know they could have 50 cats, or be a hoarder! Then you all sit together, and I get the you should get some food comments which I politely decline stating I've had a large breakfast, not hungry, or whatever the truth maybe because I don't eat lunch at work ever. Then you hear all the OMG I ate too much comments starting up, and the ohhh I ate to much I'm sick, and l'm going to get more. Come on people control yourselves!

I'm with you I sit with the other non-eaters, and try to tune the feeding frenzy out, and listen to the presentation.

I actually do eat at the potluck but I sit far away from these women. I also don't even go in until about five minutes after the lunch break starts so hopefully the vultures have at least started filling their plates by then and aren't holding up the line. I also get tired of these same women who complain that they ate too much. Obviously self control is not a part of their lifestyle.

I never thought about how dirty some of the people may be.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I actually do eat at the potluck but I sit far away from these women. I also don't even go in until about five minutes after the lunch break starts so hopefully the vultures have at least started filling their plates by then and aren't holding up the line. I also get tired of these same women who complain that they ate too much. Obviously self control is not a part of their lifestyle.

I never thought about how dirty some of the people may be.
Sorry to ruin it for you!

Having seen the state people leave the work bathrooms and work areas in I can only imagine what their homes look like.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
I currently work with a guy who also doesn't wash his hands after pooing... he got all offended when I refused the chips he offered from the bag he was eating them from.

I simply didn't want the dang chips, but he kept prodding as to why I wouldn't try at least one! He asked for it so I told him. He was all indignant and exclaimed that he was clean! Ummm, okay...not in my book.

How common is this? I probably don't want to know!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I currently work with a guy who also doesn't wash his hands after pooing... he got all offended when I refused the chips he offered from the bag he was eating them from.

I simply didn't want the dang chips, but he kept prodding as to why I wouldn't try at least one! He asked for it so I told him. He was all indignant and exclaimed that he was clean! Ummm, okay...not in my book.

How common is this? I probably don't want to know!
I love it that you told him...I work with a lady who licks her fingers when she has food on them and coughs a lot. She makes some fantastic collard greens she would bring in for me. After seeing how unsanitary she is I dont accept her food anymore. I take it but I throw it away and so does another lady we work with

Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No kidding! I will go in on catered meals, but not potluck. No way, no how.

Not too long ago we had a lunch catered (we all chipped in) and a coworker get ticked because we wouldn't let him take food home for his family.

He wouldn't put money in the pot, but expected to eat from it. He does this at potlucks as well, he won't bring food, but he'll eat it and bring containers home for his family. And no, his family isn't hungry, he's just entitled.
Oh this happens a lot, its disgusting how people act when there is free food

Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
You should do something about it then, was rude? No, NO. I didnt say your a fat pig, lose some weight...now that would of been rude.
It sounded rude to me. I prefer not to offer any advice unless asked explicitly for it. Even when asked for advise I would choose my words more carefully, people get offended very easily. It's not worth the trouble. Do you think they are actually gonna listen to you? They are not, all you are creating is tension in the air, for what? So that you can feel for a few seconds the "you were right?"

I think there is probably something else that bothers you about these people besides the constant talk about weight issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology