Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times

Advertisements

Low IQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,244,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Low IQ.
I bet the number of tattoos I have is greater than the number attached to your IQ.

Deal with it.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,085,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I realize that some tattoos are very artistic. But I just don't get anything on it being on skin. That's me though. But why are tattoos so popular now when it used to be that only carnival people and military personnel used to have them. I have seen people with tattoos right up to their necks and on their face. Don't they think ahead or what. Why do they have to add something to themselves aren't they satisfied who they are?
I don't have any tattoos, but I believe they are a form of self-expression, even though a cliche one. Many people get them when family members die, kind of a way of venting their grief.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't everyone be satisfied with the status quo, by your reasoning? Why
should we change anything about ourselves at all?
Quality of life. I said it plain and clear.

Now I don't care if anyone gets a tattoo or not, but I'm also very confident very few people would be getting one if it wasn't trendy. There have always been those who did, but now it's just another thing people see on reality tv shows and think "oh cool" so everyone and their mom (literally) get's one these days.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm also very confident very few people would be getting one if it wasn't trendy.
I'm going to start a new fad: Ear squaring. You go to a certified, licensed ear squarer. It will be cool. You will look cool. You will fit in. You will be hip. You will be trendy.

And, someone will provide some sort of justification that his hearing is 8% better in then 15 kHz to 17 kHz range.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yep. That's the experience of everyone who has ever gotten a tattoo. To a tee.

Not.

Although, I'd love to see you explain your theory to the many combat vets that I know. That would be fun!
Nothing is the experience of EVERYONE who has EVER done anything. There are outliers in every classification, and those anecdotal exceptions only count as proof to the contrary in the minds of those with no sense of argumentative logic.

So, why do so many combat vets get tattoos, if it is not peer-driven? Just coincidence? And who says combat vets are of such great character compared to the general population? A scandalously large number of them are emotionally disturbed, unemployable, homeless or in poverty, with extremely high incidences of suicides. And tattoos.

Do I need to explain to you now that I am not saying EVERY combat vet meets that description, to be sure that you understand that I'm not saying that?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I realize that some tattoos are very artistic. But I just don't get anything on it being on skin. That's me though. But why are tattoos so popular now when it used to be that only carnival people and military personnel used to have them. I have seen people with tattoos right up to their necks and on their face. Don't they think ahead or what. Why do they have to add something to themselves aren't they satisfied who they are?

Oh good grief, this has all been covered the last few days in another thread........

Humans have free will to express themselves any way they choose no matter what other humans think about it.

ADA:
Accept that this will never change,
Do what you have to so you can move past it,
Adapt to the situation as it is.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Quality of life. I said it plain and clear.

Now I don't care if anyone gets a tattoo or not, but I'm also very confident very few people would be getting one if it wasn't trendy. There have always been those who did, but now it's just another thing people see on reality tv shows and think "oh cool" so everyone and their mom (literally) get's one these days.

I got my first one when I was 38 years old and it was far from "trendy".

I do not watch television and have not watched television for 15+ years so your theory regarding this has just been tossed down the toity and flushed..........

Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,224,411 times
Tattoos = fashion.

Fashion = comes and goes.

Tattoos = permanent.

Getting a temporary fashion statement attached to your body in a permanent fashion = shows lack of foresight at best.

In 10 years all those with tattoos with be grossly unfashionable again.

Those young girls with the cool tatts will be aged by what they chose, like rings on a tree.

Oh look Barbed Wire we have a 90's girl here.

Anyway their choice. My niece looks like Amy Winehouse, she's already got tattoo regret but for some insane reason thinks adding more will improve that.

She looks horrible, as did Amy.

Talk about wearing your mental illness on your sleeve.

http://lookatthis****inghipster.tumblr.com/

Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,727,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I got my first one when I was 38 years old and it was far from "trendy".

I do not watch television and have not watched television for 15+ years so your theory regarding this has just been tossed down the toity and flushed..........
Yep. Got my first one 20 years ago, on my own, didn't know anyone with tattoos, period. I also don't watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Tattoos = fashion.

Fashion = comes and goes.

Tattoos = permanent.

Getting a temporary fashion statement attached to your body in a permanent fashion = shows lack of foresight at best.

In 10 years all those with tattoos with be grossly unfashionable again.
Huge point you are missing; some of us don't care about being "fashionable". Talk about the ultimate conformity... following fashion! Caring what is or is not "fashionable"!

As for Amy Winehouse; pretty sure her drug and alcohol abuse was what made her look horrible... not her tattoos.

Quote:
You are making a point but not the one you think you are making I fear. None of those things is necessary and all result from popularity and peer pressure too. Except for the health related ones which obviously have real benefit to improve quality of live those all exist because people aren't satisfied with who they are.

WHY they aren't satisfied is the issue.
The point is, people are not nearly as judgmental about those things I listed, compared to their judgment of tattoos.

I personally think many of the things on that list are a bit silly, and they are things I would never do/spend money on but I don't go around judging people for wanting to do those things. I don't decide that they are stupid sheep because they bleach their teeth or don't want to go bald early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology