Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,956,210 times

Advertisements

One time I feel asleep on a bench in a bar and restaurant district in my city's downtown. I was with a friend, I think he stayed awake and just sat there. When I woke up, a very classy mature-aged woman sitting at an outsiding restaurant table just a few feet from me simply said "well, good morning". It must have been breakfast time, surely it wasn't lunch, but that was a long time ago so I don't remember for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,730,679 times
There was a guy I knew.. he was a teacher at my children's school, and he was nearing retirement age and always seemed to be napping. Anyway, we'd go on field trips using the public bus, and he was a seasoned bus rider. It blew my mind how he could nod off, sitting straight up, and instantly wake at the RIGHT bus stop. He didn't wake on the ones that weren't the ones we needed. Crazy, and pretty cool.

I wouldn't/couldn't do it. Too paranoid. I recently took a train trip (3 hours) and I was afraid to sleep on the train. I wasn't afraid of people messing with me or my stuff.. I was afraid I would sleep through my stop! Logic says they'd wake me just for the increased fare, but i couldn't do it. Didn't want to wake up in Dallas by accident!

I have nodded off on campus though. Heck, I think everyone does/has, at least from my observance.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,741,294 times
You would think people would be able to tell the difference between some one taking a quick nap between classes, or after work on the bus, and a homeless person setting up camp for the night

Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,391 posts, read 80,775,059 times
There is one young woman that often sits next to me on the bus and dozes off. Depending on which way the bus turns, she either comes close to falling into the aisle, or is leaning on my shoulder. I would find it very annoying if she were not pretty good looking. What's really annoying is the homeless people downtown who sleep on the sidewalk in the way of people trying to get to work.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

24,008 posts, read 32,328,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have seen students in a university library slumped over, sleeping. I understood it totally. That summer when I was doing grad work I was tired every day! I think if someone is drunk and asleep, then I am grossed out. But otherwise, not so much.
I have seen the same.

I do not want to see anyone do anything personal - and I would put sleep in that category.

Sleeping is private and that's why there are beds and bedrooms.

I do not want to hear you snore, see you drool or anything like that. If you can not stay awake in public, please be evaluated for a sleep disorder.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,267,928 times
I think its kinda weird.

I would be too paranoid. People are stupid....who knows if ill get my wallet stolen or start to snore. People slobber/drool when they sleep...typically fall to the right or left side. If your on a lunch at work or a train are you going to set an alarm? If not you will be late.

I don't know....sleeping is for your own personal time....not mine or Joe's time while at work on your break or on a bus. Noone wants to see this.

Also I think it could be misconstrued as a sign of weakness at work. We all have your personal problems, but sleeping at every break or lunch will just seem like you have more problems than most people and people just don't want to deal with that crap. I certainly don't.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM

207 posts, read 335,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
If so, why?

I've been known to doze off in random places all of my life. When I did it in college, no one batted an eye. It's not unusual to spot students passed out in random spots on campus. But in the real world, I've gotten some pretty hostile responses just for sleeping. A completely natural bodily function, right?

I have put out of places. I have woken up seeing people giving me dirty looks. I have been questioned by cops whenever I fall asleep in my car. I had a friend who was fired for sleeping in her car during break time. It was against her company's rules. WTF?

I'm not lead to believe that this is abnormal behavior. There are tons of medications and health conditions that cause drowsiness. Also, insomnia/sleep deprivation is extremely common, and is known to cause daytime sleepiness.

Sometimes you just get sleepy in a public place. It is much safer to nap wherever you are than to get behind the wheel while drowsy, right? People shouldn't be harassed. Why do some people find public sleeping a disturbing thing?
Yes people who sleep in public creep me out, and considered taboo. I have had insomnia since I was a child, but I take sleeping pills (ambien) and have never felt the need to sleep in public. I find it strange and bizarre.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 PM

588 posts, read 955,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
IEven if I get sleepy I could never fall asleep in a public place just too scary. I havent yet...I hope not I drool
LOL!! Yeah, I feel the same way, especially the scary part. I mean, what if someone robs me? It just seems as if you're more vulnerable in public if you're sleeping.
It doesn't creep me out when others do; I just don't.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM

88,373 posts, read 84,409,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
There was a guy I knew.. he was a teacher at my children's school, and he was nearing retirement age and always seemed to be napping. Anyway, we'd go on field trips using the public bus, and he was a seasoned bus rider. It blew my mind how he could nod off, sitting straight up, and instantly wake at the RIGHT bus stop. He didn't wake on the ones that weren't the ones we needed. Crazy, and pretty cool.

I wouldn't/couldn't do it. Too paranoid. I recently took a train trip (3 hours) and I was afraid to sleep on the train. I wasn't afraid of people messing with me or my stuff.. I was afraid I would sleep through my stop! Logic says they'd wake me just for the increased fare, but i couldn't do it. Didn't want to wake up in Dallas by accident!

I have nodded off on campus though. Heck, I think everyone does/has, at least from my observance.
I've been commuting by train for more than 30 years. I nap from time to time, leaning against the window, and I have never once missed my stop. You know subconsciously when to wake up. I have zero fear of being robbed. Middle-class commuters in suits aren't likely to be reaching into my purse and stealing my cellphone or my lunch money. I'd wake up, anyway, when I felt someone moving my purse off my lap.

LOL, I have a coworker who has put in her retirement papers. This is her last week. She's been napping at her desk every afternoon for the past month.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM

802 posts, read 1,678,930 times
Last semester during college, I had an exam really late at night and needed to be at work on campus early in the morning. I'm a commuter so I asked my friend if I could stay in the lounge of his dorm. When I woke up, the janitor was asking me all sorts of questions, which annoyed me. I felt like I was being judged and grouped with the homeless. I guess he never experienced the trials and tribulations of a college student
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology