Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times

Advertisements

OP - Ask the mods to move this to the Relationships board. This topic will take off there.

I have brought this up a few times over there and never got a satisfactory answer. Sorry ocnjgirl, nice try. I'm for things being equal between the sexes and that includes dating.

IRL I have never been approached and asked for my phone number for an actual date and I have been single and unattached for 30 years of my adult life. Hope is fading fast that I will ever experience what that is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
OP - Ask the mods to move this to the Relationships board. This topic will take off there.

I have brought this up a few times over there and never got a satisfactory answer. Sorry ocnjgirl, nice try. I'm for things being equal between the sexes and that includes dating.

IRL I have never been approached and asked for my phone number for an actual date and I have been single and unattached for 30 years of my adult life. Hope is fading fast that I will ever experience what that is like.
There is nothing preventing you from approaching on your own except fear. We all feel fear and self-doubt, the people who succeed in getting what they want are those who choose to act despite their fear.

Not sure what you mean by "nice try". I am not arguing whether human nature is fair or unfair (usually nature is not, in general fair, though, some gazelles get eaten and others escape), only trying to explain why women feel this way, as the OP asked.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Social conditioning and bad parenting.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM

452 posts, read 709,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because a woman does not want some pansy guy too afraid to talk to her.

I do not why so many guys think so highly of women to the point they are afraid of the reaction from them if they start to talk to them.
Yep. The fastest way for a guy to get the prettiest girl in the room, is to dance with the ugliest girl in the room.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is nothing preventing you from approaching on your own except fear. We all feel fear and self-doubt, the people who succeed in getting what they want are those who choose to act despite their fear.

Not sure what you mean by "nice try". I am not arguing whether human nature is fair or unfair (usually nature is not, in general fair, though, some gazelles get eaten and others escape), only trying to explain why women feel this way, as the OP asked.
1st bolded- Nonsense. I do approach. I don't know where in the world you got that I don't.
Just not very often as it's mostly a waste of time.

2nd bolded - IMO you failed to address the question. I don't mean this as an attack but you came off as weak to me.
I like strong, independent women and I will be there to give support. I don't understand why they will go after most things in life but not ask a man out. I read that some do but it is apparent the percentage is very low.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
1st bolded- Nonsense. I do approach. I don't know where in the world you got that I don't.
Just not very often as it's mostly a waste of time.

2nd bolded - IMO you failed to address the question. I don't mean this as an attack but you came off as weak to me.
I like strong, independent women and I will be there to give support. I don't understand why they will go after most things in life but not ask a man out. I read that some do but it is apparent the percentage is very low.
I explained it in great detail, you just don't like the answer.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I explained it in great detail, you just don't like the answer.
Nice dodge.

It was expected.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM

What did I dodge? The question was why don't women approach men, I as well as others explained it's the way we are wired from a biological perspective. You are free to disagree with that answer, but your claim that I didn't answer it is unfounded.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:18 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthechocolate View Post
i come from an upbringing that discouraged women from approaching men. Sure, i could change that mindset at any time, but i am comfortable with it. It may limit my options, but i'm ok with that.
+1

Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,048 times
Jesus, of course women don't usually approach men. Even the average male dullard cannot help but notice that even marginally attractive females get hit on all the time, and naturally they get their defenses up. They have lives to lead too, you know? And can't spend every waking moment attending to the hordes of horny males in attack formation.

So yes, they may seem stand-offish and who can blame them? Add to this the fact that even if a female is intrigued by the odd and attractive reticent male, as soon as she makes a move he'll assume she's a trollop. Always? No, not always--nothing is always, but this certainly describes the vast majority.

So try this: gather up your courage and then let it go. Lower the stakes, act civilized and respectful and right there you've distinguished yourself from most men. And as women know, you can work minor miracles with little more than a genuine smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology