Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

I'm only 24 and I feel the same way. That I could and should be doing more for myself or someone or something else, I just don't know what MY purpose is. I feel a little lost sometimes, I just hope that as I get older and my views of the world and the climate change I will be better able to evaluate my place in this world and what I can do to start giving back.

I have always wanted to leave my mark, leave an impact on the world, be remembered somehow. I sometimes think those were just the dreams of grandeur I had as a teenager, feeling that I alone was destined for greatness. Now I feel that I'm not special, I'm just one of hundreds of millions of people trying to make their way through life, and a lot of those people are a lot further ahead and closer to those goals than I am. Maybe some day some way I will find what I can do for this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,906 times
Human life seems to want to sustain itself, and to grow itself. That's what we've been doing...albeit slowly. We'll continue doing so whether we like it or not, or else we'll go extinct. Might as well try to speed it up, so life can get to its point. But maybe I'm just impatient, haha.

So, really, my own role in that is to help in the effort towards life extension and space colonization. Those are the next frontiers...and I guess I'd like to help...though really, I have no clue how I'd be useful. (I'm a libarts grad, and lazy to boot). But if I could get paid for pursuing that...as well having a family that was well provided for, I guess my point/purpose/want would be to enjoy it as much as possible as I know it will all end eventually. I want to build memories with those I care for and with those that care for me. I mean, what more do I need, personally? Seems almost selfish to ask for more than that...I mean, even having that, that in itself is amazing.

My own attempt at an answer. It'll probably change in a couple years...I'm still young lol...but that's how I've been occupying my time here, so far.

(And rather unsuccessfully, I might add...but ah well, it's not my fault I don't have the right degrees, or the money to get those degrees, or know the right people, or if my talents aren't considered employable in those industries...at the end of the day wasting time jumping through hoops only hurts everyone, not just me. All I can do is try, should I fail because of the rest of the world...that's not my fault.)

Last edited by dub dub II; 08-09-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 AM

454 posts, read 793,531 times
I think every person has a purpose...

from the great who invent fantastic cures for mankind's diseases, from those who protect & serve..... as well as those who never attain fame or acclaim; yet by a kind word or deed alleviates someone's grief/pain/hopelessness, aids and defends helpless animals, and gives of themselves in ways they may think unimportant, but matters to those they share this planet with.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Do you feel like you have purpose in this world? I'm sure most of us have a purpose if we're talking about procreation, but is there a goal that you have to accomplish before you die? I feel like I haven't found my purpose, and i'm 23 years old. I'm at that age where I should be entering my prime, but I have absolutely nothing going for me that makes me proud of myself. I completed my associates degree, and now i'm pursuing my bachelors in Business Administration. But, half the time I just feel blah, like even though I have an decent job and I'm going to school, nothing I do is ever enough for me.--Come to think of it-- I've felt this way for the majority of my life. Anyway, has anyone felt this way before?
I think young people today have a harder time of it than the previous generation(s) did. The economy went **** up in the bay right when so many were graduating from high school and college, and unemployment is still a problem in many parts of the country. Plus, many with college degrees are burdened with the student loan debt from hell.

As a result of all these things and more, young people feel that they must study for and go into a field that's lucrative, rather than to follow their own hearts and do what they love - even if it won't make them rich. Members of previous generations had much more leeway in that regard. With little to no educational debt, folks could try being a painter or a member of a rock and roll band for a few years - no harm done. Jobs were still there waiting even after 3 or 4 years. Now, not so much.

Plus, I am staggered by the amount of lies the government, the financial hotshots on Wall Street, big pharma, big oil and all the rest have been telling us about EVERYTHING. Let's face it, Congress was never filled with Saints and CEO's were never recruited from the ranks of angels, but today's situation is an outrage bigger than anything that has gone on before. Young people are sensitive to this bs, and I think it makes them want to forget about the entire thing. Who needs it? So folks end up feeling powerless and like being treated as dupes by those in power...

Our society has a huge rip or two or ten in its fabric, and it's becoming inadequate and letting everyone down. Purpose? What purpose? To use our tax money to line the pockets of well heeled congressmen and the CEO's from the global corps? My dream is that some clever hacker from the millenial bunch will someday soon come up with the names and passwords of all those crooks pretending to be honest who stash their ill gotten gains offshore and out of sight. But until that happy day arrives, it is all pretty depressing.

On the brighter side, people often do begin to find a sense of purpose in their lives as they get a little older - especially the ones who go out seeking new experiences and retaining open minds. When it came to my profession, I was almost 30 until I found out what was the right way for me. I went back to school, took the classes I needed and ended up doing something I mostly enjoyed doing for the next 25 years.

When it comes to something more nebulous, like a person's purpose in the grand scheme of things, that can be much tougher to answer. I can remember being just a little kid and wondering why I had been put on earth and what it was I was supposed to do. The best I could come up with was that we are here simply to help one another - that compassion and acting on those feelings of compassion are what makes our lives worthwhile. If there is one song that is like an anthem for my own spiritual purpose it's this:

"Hands" - Jewel

If I could tell the world just one thing,
It would be you're all ok.
And not to worry because
Worry is wasteful and useless in times like these.
I won't be made useless.
I won't be idled by despair.

My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours
They are my own.
And I am NEVER broken...

We'll fight - Not out of spite, but
Someone must stand up for what's right.
Where there's a man who has no voice
It's there I shall be seen.
My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours
They are my own...

And we are never broken.
In the end, only kindness matters
We are God's eyes, God's hands...

May you find an anthem of your own.

Yours,
Rambler

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Your purpose doesn't have to be something that will make the world sit up and take notice. It might be that your purpose is to mentor one person whose grandchild will someday change the world. We don't live in a vacuum; everything that we do has the potential to affect someone else, even if we're unaware of it. You might learn something and pass it on to someone whose life is changed due to your knowledge (and wisdom in passing it on). You might show kindness to someone who really needed a kind word just to get through the day. No matter what you're doing, you're an example to someone... either an example of what to do, or an example of what not to do.

I don't think that finding your purpose is something that you necessarily have to work hard to do. It will come to you, and in many cases, you might not even realize it except for in retrospect. And in some cases, you might not ever realize the impact that you have made.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Do you feel like you have purpose in this world? I'm sure most of us have a purpose if we're talking about procreation, but is there a goal that you have to accomplish before you die? I feel like I haven't found my purpose, and i'm 23 years old. I'm at that age where I should be entering my prime, but I have absolutely nothing going for me that makes me proud of myself. I completed my associates degree, and now i'm pursuing my bachelors in Business Administration. But, half the time I just feel blah, like even though I have an decent job and I'm going to school, nothing I do is ever enough for me.--Come to think of it-- I've felt this way for the majority of my life. Anyway, has anyone felt this way before?

I do feel like I am in my purpose but it took awhile to realize it
I am a good bit older than you
23 is really very young
and it is sad to hear you don't think you have done anything to feel proud of yourself
I am proud of you for going to school for even asking yourself about your purpose
what are your interests?
Have you ever done any volunteer work?
Maybe you just haven't looked closely enough
you will find it if you seek it

Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
My purpose was to realize, definitively, that there is no purpose. Now that I've realized that lesson, and thus have "realized" my purpose, I have no further purpose.

...another way of saying there is no purpose to life; do whatever the **** you want. Just don't think that "doing whatever the **** you want" should be confused/conflated with "finding your purpose."

Anyone who thinks he/she has a purpose is caught in the throes of an illusion. ~108 billion dead people and the 99.9% proportion of this planet's species that have gone extinct can't be wrong.

If purpose existed, there would be no conflict. The term "cross-purpose" would be an oxymoron.

Useful illusion

Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 PM

36 posts, read 31,623 times
Nope, I know my life has absolutely no value or meaning to anyone. I'm just an ugly dark American woman that the vast majority of American men don't find attractive or want a relationship with. I might as well get surgery to be a man cause I surely don't feel like a woman. Men never tell me I'm sexy or beautiful nor make catcalls at me when I walk down the street. I hate my parents for procreating with each other, and making me. I don't know what they were thinking, I don't know why they didn't decide to date outside their race to ensure that I would have better luck with men and a more successful social life. A little bit of burden would have been lifted if I were biracial. I know when I have kids I won't do this to them..I'm going to procreate with a man of a different race to try to give my kids the best life possible especially if its a girl.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
I feel like I have several. And I'm working on all of them.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
Nope, I know my life has absolutely no value or meaning to anyone. I'm just an ugly dark American woman that the vast majority of American men don't find attractive or want a relationship with. I might as well get surgery to be a man cause I surely don't feel like a woman. Men never tell me I'm sexy or beautiful nor make catcalls at me when I walk down the street. I hate my parents for procreating with each other, and making me. I don't know what they were thinking, I don't know why they didn't decide to date outside their race to ensure that I would have better luck with men and a more successful social life. A little bit of burden would have been lifted if I were biracial. I know when I have kids I won't do this to them..I'm going to procreate with a man of a different race to try to give my kids the best life possible especially if its a girl.
I feel as if I have seen your sad wallowing and sorrowful posts on here before, asking why most men prefer mixed women over dark women.

Perhaps a dark man would be into a dark woman? Try that approach.

And why curse your parents? They fell in love and wanted to have a child, they weren't trying to create a mixed baby because it has a higher attraction appeal, people don't think about that when they fall in love and plan a family. They probably didn't plan on their daughter hating her skin color and wishing she was never born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology