Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

Unless you can show me a couple of good peer reviewed studies, I call BS. I've never heard this and I read a lot. I also grew up in a police family, my brother was a cop for 30 years and I worked as a dispatcher a little. Sorry, never saw it at home, and never heard it. In fact, my dad was a cop in the days before "domestic violence" was a common term. He told me they took care of it the old fashioned way. If the police were called to a family disturbance, and the old man had been bouncing the wife off the walls, the cops, (there was always two) would take him outside and bounce him around and warned him it would get worse if they ever had to come back. That usually took care of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Most people know this as a matter of course. They have about twice the rate of it but when you factor in the fact there are more wives of cops who are afraid to speak up and the known difficulty in safely leaving, the rate has gotta be even alot higher than that.
Quote:
Yes its pretty much commonly known. As if to further confirm it, a few yrs back my sister invited all her friends to a baby shower. It was on a Sunday afternoon from 1-4, . One of her friends is married to a police officer. Well she was at tye shower only about an hour and a half, wheb he started calling her to complain how long it was taking, he was the only SO to have issues with being ok with his wife being at an event without him. His problem? The 39 something yrbold man said he was hungry, wanted her to " get her ass back home and get dinner ready". My first time i met him was in the 4th of July at a bbq, he kept whining at her to " get him a plate of food" , and to " stop blabbing with the women and sit next to him instead'. Im sure there are of course a few good ones but geeze
I totally disagree. I have worked with police officers for over 30 years. They are no more prone to domestic violence than any other profession.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My opinion is that many police officers are indeed a high rate of sociopath narcissistic psychopaths, who have just been smart enough to never get caught doing any illegal activities. They are the same as the thugs they arrest on a daily basis. Except they take it out on their wives.

One issue that has always concerned me about wives of officers, federal agents, and military wives, they fear reporting abuse, because it will involve their husbands jobs. Thus, the abuse escalates beyond what it would, if a wife reported earlier.

I have personally been in a situation where I was afraid to report...

Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
"Domestic violence is 2 to 4 times more common in police families than in the general population. In two separate studies, 40% of police officers self-report that they have used violence against their domestic partners within the last year. In the general population, it's estimated that domestic violence occurs in about 10% of families."

There are dozens of sources and studies cited in that link.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
The majority of cops were the C-average and D-average kids in high school. They weren't really good at anything and were probably made fun of. They like power, domination, and control. That's why you have so many police officers who abuse their power and beat the life out of people.

So when their wife doesn't do something "right", he loses it and hits her to try and teach her a lesson.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I've heard of this issue before but not on John's department or the town we live in. There is however a distinct us and them mentality. Most of our cop friends have very few "civilian" friends. John was very antisocial when we were first together. The us and them mentality was very obvious at his coworkers funeral in June. It was like there was two different services going on. One for the civilians and one for the officers. I think society has done that to them. Who wants to talk to a cop? Even in the hospitals I've worked. Staff will walk by them as if they're invisible. I always stopped to talk to them and ask them if they need anything. John never raised a hand to me and has always been my knight in shining armor. He's a good man as were most of his coworkers. I do know that there is a higher rate of suicide among police officers, second only to the military. Tragically John's department lost one to suicide in June. It's a tough job and a very hard life for all involved. Marital issues are marital issues in all professions. I guess it's just more fun to start another cop hater thread.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Most people know this as a matter of course. They have about twice the rate of it but when you factor in the fact there are more wives of cops who are afraid to speak up and the known difficulty in safely leaving, the rate has gotta be even alot higher than that.

I was a;ways told this too. From the time I was a child, I was told this by my dad - a right wing, law and order Republican.

Later in college, I found out that this had been studied extensively, and was true.

I think that the stress and trauma involved in Police work, as well as the inherent power can easily lend itself to both spouse and child abuse. Not unlike *some* former military people.

I have an older cousin who served in Desert Storm who is now, as of June; on wife number three.

I'd like to stress that some men who have worked as Police professionals have this problem.
The vast majority are decent men who are not abusive or violent in their private lives.

We all need Police Professionals and the important work that they do - in some areas for little more than minimum wage.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
That article is complete bunk and fails to cite a real study. It cites a feminist that makes unsupported claims. I don't know whether police officers commit more domestic violence or not, but that link is garbage.
If you think the first link provided is "garbage," try this one. It was in Police Chief magazine:
Police Chief Magazine - View Article

If this issue is not considered by police to be a problem, then why do they have an acronym for it: OIDV (officer-involved domestic violence)? Why did the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) create a model policy on OIDV in 1999 and revise it in 2003? Why did the Verizon Foundation provide grant money to researchers at Florida State University to study ways to prevent domestic violence involving law enforcement officers? And why is a toolkit created by those researchers now available to all criminal justice agencies in the Southeast, in the first phase of a plan to make the toolkit available to agencies across the nation?
(Reference: Toolkit Now Available to Prevent Law Enforcement Officer-Involved Domestic Violence )

This discussion, directly addressing an officer who admits to the problem, was published in PoliceOne.com, a blog FOR police officers:
Domestic violence in police families: Causes, effects & intervention strategies

Here's another academic study on OIDV from the University of South Florida (not a hotbed of rabid feminism the last time I checked):
http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/vi...61&context=etd

Or if you would rather read tragic anecdotal evidence of the problem, this article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, vividly describes the problem of OIDV in that city and decries the fact that Milwaukee "does not have a written policy on how to handle officer-involved domestic violence - a practice that goes against recommendations by both the International Association of Chiefs of Police and the state Department of Justice."
Both Sides of the Law | Watchdog Report - Police Department ignores national standards for officers accused of domestic violence

In fact, the United States Department of Justice accepts the statistic that approximately 40% of police families are affected by domestic violence, as opposed to an estimated 10% in other households. That is why they continue to press for solutions to this serious, nationwide problem.

Why do I care about this? Because I was raised in a blue collar family and neighborhood. I have three friends whose fathers were police officers. There were incidents of domestic violence in all their families. I do not in any way disavow the need for policing in our neighborhoods and our world. Police officers provide a vital service to our communities and all too often give their lives in service. But this issue of domestic violence IS a serious concern and needs to be addressed.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
I totally disagree. I have worked with police officers for over 30 years. They are no more prone to domestic violence than any other profession.
This is simply non factual, you may have your own internal reasons for not being able to reconcile the facts as they are with your own personal reasons for being in denial. It is actually doing a disservice to thise in law enforc. to deny something as critical as this. These type of " no matter what the facts say, I wont hear of it" is harmful to LE . They need help, not denial.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I ve never heard this, the few cops I know personally are all good spouses and parents.
I know cops are stereotyped to be big-time cheaters, but I haven't heard about them being wife-beaters. And I've known enough cops to know that there is some merit to the cheater label, but it doesn't mean they ALL are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology