Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

Burning question if everyone in the room was from Nigeria r u OK with that
What is their obligation to take away your discomfort and make u feel respected
What does the group owe u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM

452 posts, read 709,615 times
I have a friend, Elvis, he's black, he also happens to be a biker, like me (white woman). He and I were at a predominantly white area that's got fishing, a restaurant and airboats (a glorified fish camp). A white woman with her small daughter looked at ME in shock and pulled her daughter behind her, while smiling at Elvis! We cracked up and he said LOUDLY, "I think we just witnessed politically correct fear!"

Why can't people just be people without being reduced to breeds of people?

Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
I'm not even full black, and still had a lot of flak towards me growing up. Kingman, Arizona used to be a bad place to live back in the 70s - 80s, not so bad now but you'll always have the confederate nazi fools. People used to assume I'm always getting in all sorts of trouble as I was younger. I've probably heard the N-bomb more times than I can remember, even when the more rational people "slip". Once in a while I'll run into a dumb redneck yelling it at me, but it was no where near as frequent compared to when I was only a child. It also shaped my constant jabbing at Christians because they build themselves up to be these holiest of good people all the while treat people like me as "lesser" beings to put it nicely. I know better now it's not relgion's fault, but it's the people who taint it with their stupidity, which is sadly widely accepted.

Where I live it's also White/Hispanic but some of the hispanics can pass for white. It's even double worse when you're a nerdy half-black lol. I recall seeing the fear/anger at another man's face if I glance at his woman as a teen/young adult... or just being around someone who's uncomfortable around minorities sets off a switch. People assumed I was dumb, sucked at math, listen to rap, etc.

There were times I'd walk into a restaurant and still get the stares. As for jobs, I feel as I have to prove myself twice as hard than another person. I'm 33 and just got my first desk job only because my former boss runs it and he knows me for a good decade, it was a position that was always for someone with a flashy resume or someone's relative from the office clique.

I know once I make enough money with this new career I'm going to bolt so fast to a more progressive (hopefully not to expensive) city.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post

Why can't people just be people without being reduced to breeds of people?
Let's ask the government, the universities, and the corporations.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:17 AM

318 posts, read 625,952 times
I go to a private school where a majority of the student body is rich white people, and the school is located in a suburb where about 90% of the citizens are white and rich.

I'm Asian and although I don't live in that area (I come from a working-class, heavily ethnic minority suburb), I don't feel uncomfortable in the suburb. I don't look like a law-breaker, my school uniform shows that I go to a good school and there are quite a fair bit of Asians in the area, so no I've never really felt uncomfortable, even if the area is mostly white people. I've never felt uncomfortable because of my race in certain areas (country, rural towns are another matter though)... most of the times where I've felt uncomfortable about who I am is mostly socio-economic wise.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
It really depends on the how you got there or why you are there. Make no mistake about it if you live in an area that has only 3% African American polulation, people know who you are even if you don't know them.

In the midwest I have seen towns were there was only a single African American person who was perfectly comfortable in there suroundings and they were the only interacial couple in the county. I have also seen schools in the southern parts of the United states were the only African American was the principle.

I know several African Americans who are more comfortable in towns where there are less than 5% African American because they believe if the African Americans are comfortable (and I assume happy) it must be an okay place.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
When traveling in South Korea we went the entire day being the only white person on the street and we passed thousands of people. No one gave us the time of day and basically ignored us. I thought people would stare. They did stare at us in China and some stopped us to look at us and take our picture because they had never seen a westerner before.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Im white, unless you want to stretch my tan hehe, and I am not even comfortable.being somewhere its all white, I think this question applies to any color person

Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM

588 posts, read 957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I'm black, and grew up with a diverse set of friends, so I can be in a group of white people and not even bat an eye-- sometimes I even forget.

I'd only feel uncomfortable if I got the vibe that I wasn't wanted there, or if somebody gave me a reason to believe that they were prejudiced or racist. One time I was in a group of white people, and the topic of Affirmative Action came up. I didn't mind them griping about it (everyone's entitled to their own opinion), but then somebody chimed in, "it's like they turn down a smart student for a black student." Gotta admit, that was kind of awkward.
Same here...I grew up in a very diverse city and get along with many races, so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable unless someone said something about "all Blacks do this..." or "why do Black people...?"

Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM

588 posts, read 957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I'm not even full black, and still had a lot of flak towards me growing up. Kingman, Arizona used to be a bad place to live back in the 70s - 80s, not so bad now but you'll always have the confederate nazi fools. People used to assume I'm always getting in all sorts of trouble as I was younger. I've probably heard the N-bomb more times than I can remember, even when the more rational people "slip". Once in a while I'll run into a dumb redneck yelling it at me, but it was no where near as frequent compared to when I was only a child. It also shaped my constant jabbing at Christians because they build themselves up to be these holiest of good people all the while treat people like me as "lesser" beings to put it nicely. I know better now it's not relgion's fault, but it's the people who taint it with their stupidity, which is sadly widely accepted.

Where I live it's also White/Hispanic but some of the hispanics can pass for white. It's even double worse when you're a nerdy half-black lol. I recall seeing the fear/anger at another man's face if I glance at his woman as a teen/young adult... or just being around someone who's uncomfortable around minorities sets off a switch. People assumed I was dumb, sucked at math, listen to rap, etc.

There were times I'd walk into a restaurant and still get the stares. As for jobs, I feel as I have to prove myself twice as hard than another person. I'm 33 and just got my first desk job only because my former boss runs it and he knows me for a good decade, it was a position that was always for someone with a flashy resume or someone's relative from the office clique.

I know once I make enough money with this new career I'm going to bolt so fast to a more progressive (hopefully not to expensive) city.
I guess I'm pretty lucky. Grew up in TX and my parents had tons of white friends, our neighborhood was diverse, and my extended family is sprinkled with different races. So, even if people have stared at me (which they probably have) when I was the only Black person in the room, I didn't notice.
Although, now that I think about it, if I'm the only minority in a restaurant with televisions showing the news, and the criminal they're focusing on is Black, then yes, I get uncomfortable. It's weird but I feel like everyone would be looking at me suspiciously. Crazy, I know. I can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology