Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Well it does many times for me. I'm 66 and have some physical and health challenges which make me not as active as I would like. I see many of my friends my age so active and traveling and celebrating family times, etc and I do feel left out. This study was with 20 year olds but I bet similar feelings are for every age. I find myself reading but I don't post as often as i used to nor do I "like" as much as I used to. When somebody has 73 likes for one post it doesn't make me want to join them. Nothing special about my like and why should I when they haven't "liked" anything I posted in many weeks. Of course my "friends" list is very tiny- how do people have so many "friends". i haven't even met that many people in my whole life.

Facebook May Be Making You Sad, Says New Study - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,662 times
Hello, well Im younger than you but I refuse to do anything w social media and thats how I want it. I dont care if every living soul has it, I refuse to do it

Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 PM

454 posts, read 794,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Hello, well Im younger than you but I refuse to do anything w social media and thats how I want it. I dont care if every living soul has it, I refuse to do it
same here! i have no Tweeter, MySpace, MyFace or whatever they are. what started out as a vehicle for keeping in touch, finding old acquaintances or schoolmates, has almost turned into an obsession with who has the most hits, friends, likes! people spend hours every day on these sites, preferring them to real-life interaction with others.

but i do understand the OP's feelings. i'm not familiar with how FB works, but maybe you can seek out those on the site who have similar interests as you? or live in your area? or are age-specific with you?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well it does many times for me. I'm 66 and have some physical and health challenges which make me not as active as I would like. I see many of my friends my age so active and traveling and celebrating family times, etc and I do feel left out. This study was with 20 year olds but I bet similar feelings are for every age. I find myself reading but I don't post as often as i used to nor do I "like" as much as I used to. When somebody has 73 likes for one post it doesn't make me want to join them. Nothing special about my like and why should I when they haven't "liked" anything I posted in many weeks. Of course my "friends" list is very tiny- how do people have so many "friends". i haven't even met that many people in my whole life.
This is one of the main reasons I want nothing to do with social media; it's an open invitation for too many to try and see how 'popular' they can appear by the 'likes' they receive. And the disgusting online bullying is beyond ludicrous. A lot of it is typical grammar-school attitude.

Now, to the OP: I am in my late 60s, retired, and on a fixed income. Many I know who are also retired have sufficient finances to travel extensively; buy a lot of clothes; new cars; or whatever it is they feel like doing. Not being in that same boat, I don't envy them, nor do I feel left out. I am who I am, and 'what's right, is what's right for me.'

I am not saying the OP is envious, but it does affect her adversely; which truly is sad.

If it appears that others have a better lifestyle - that's all it is "an appearance", because we don't truly know if they are that content or not; we just see what they choose to 'present' to the outside world.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,922 times
Just because it is posted on facebook doesnt mean its true. Nobody is as happy as some of these people say they are.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I play games on FB, that's it. It is all about bragging and one upsmanship...pass.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,922 times
With the way the economy is, I got sick of seeing ppl post all the vacations they are having and new cars...That is not why I deleted from facebook though. The reason is because ppl were getting annoyed at me for not commenting on their posts or pictures. .......really? I dont have time for facebook drama

Old 08-16-2013, 03:11 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
I feel sad for those who use facebook. They're victims.

Facebook is to City Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I love facebook. Without it, I would have found it much more difficult to maintain my friendships with my buddies and family members in my hometown after moving away 2 years ago. I would never have established contact with high school friends I lost touch with and learned how they were doing. I would have a lot more difficulty maintaining my social relationships in my new city. And it's been invaluable to a friend of mine after her father went missing in a foreign country - FB has enabled her to reach far more people.

I have rules for who I friend. I don't allow any of the mindgames and bullying that I've heard other people have dealt with. I hide the negative posters.

I'd say that maybe FB only adds to your happiness when you are happy yourself, but I feel like when I went through some depression stuff a year ago, facebook made it easier to communicate with people.

Maybe it just depends on how you filter information? I dunno.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,038 times
I enjoy FB. But I also limit it to my family members only. My kids & their spouses, & my cousins. A dozen people, total. They live a few hundred miles away, so it's a good way to keep everybody in touch. I don't feel the need to keep up with every school, work, or business associate. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology