Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,210,990 times

Advertisements

I smell a witch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,913,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan;31004102

[B
Allow me to give you an example: A co-worker was speaking to another about her marriage she explained what a great husband she had, how he had a very good paying job, he was a wonderful father to their daughter, and how he spoiled her endlessly, she spoke about being happily married. Yet what I saw was a woman never smiling during her saying all those good things about her husband almost as if they were rehearsed or being said for those listening, and as she walked out the door the biggest thing I took notice was what she never said, she never said how much she loved or that she loved him it was all about all the physical material things and their daughters feelings toward dad. Sadly after she left I looked at others and giggled and said see that's why I'll never get married, and each one of the women in the room who all happened to be married knew exactly what I was speaking to, they each took notice that she never said she loved him how great a husband he was.[/b]
I don't get your line of thinking here. I have from time to time told family members and friends how wonderful my husband is to me, how he was really there for me when I needed him most, and what a good guy I think he is. I didn't follow it up with saying how much I love him, which I do, and I don't think it should be implied by anyone that I don't love him. I save my gushy, lovey-dovey feelings for him.

I am thinking maybe you are giving yourself more credit regarding your special skill then you deserve. At any rate, I agree with previous posters who said you should keep this skill to yourself. I don't think it is nice to share certain opinions with casual acquaintances such as coworkers. I would think you wouldn't want to come off as arrogant to these people. Save your skill for those closest to you and even at that tread lightly.

Last edited by geebabe; 08-18-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 AM

726 posts, read 1,226,108 times
Maybe she's trying to convince herself about her family. Most people have illusions in some area of their life. Maybe you do too about your abilities.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Maybe she's trying to convince herself about her family. Most people have illusions in some area of their life. Maybe you do too about your abilities.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
The Zach Brown song "Quiet Your Mind" probably speaks to you.

I know what you mean but it's my boyfriend who does this - also my grown son, who compares his thought patterns to the guy on that show about his brother being in jail and he's trying to free him? I saw the show one time long enough to understand the relation. Since my son was severely affected by any and all artificial colors and flavors in his diet my suggestion is to eliminate those (it takes only 3 days to get them out of your system) for about a week and see if your thoughts settle down a bit.

I totally understand. Discipline and, because of my belief system, prayer has helped me control my thinking.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,225,186 times
I have the same skill.

The simple fact is, most folks lie all day long.

They might only be tiny white lies (that hat is wonderful, darling) but they are still lies.
Everyone is capable of falsehood and most use it at least 4-5 times per day.

Yes, per day.

Minor falsehoods are the oil of society (I can't stand that prick, oh hello nice to see you again!).

Basically you have to learn to cope with the world, not the other way around.

I frequently hear my bffs lie, embroider, embellish - heck, I do it myself for a good story. The thing is, is it malicious dishonesty?

Ordinary everyday white lies = everyone does it, get used to it

Massive porky pies = they have a mental issue, avoid them.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
I personally don't accept:
"Ordinary everyday white lies = everyone does it, get used to it"
A lie is a lie and it's wrong but it's not illegal in our society (except under oath if you're not the president)
People choose behaviors and accept consequences. When I know someone lies I choose to not believe anything they say. But, hey, that's just me.
I just don't care for liars.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,151,829 times
Why did you feel the need to " giggle" about your perception she isnt happily married ? That seems like a sad thing, not a funny thing. I would be asking another question.... What does your own behavior say about you?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Why did you feel the need to " giggle" about your perception she isnt happily married ? That seems like a sad thing, not a funny thing. I would be asking another question.... What does your own behavior say about you?
Good point and question. I noticed the OP hasn't been back......

Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 AM

163 posts, read 423,838 times
It literally drives me insane, at one point I was able to shut it off, but since I began seeking guidance and help in dealing with my own short comings, I noticed Ive begun this not trusting anyone. There was a time I used it to gain entry to others lives , and that led to arrogance thinking I could help/fix others, but had to realize an old saying is very true, u cant help those who dont want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology