Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 yo male btw...as a kid I used to cry easily. Not so much things like getting hurt, but if I was told off, or get angry, frustrated. Never, or rarely, during sad movies (I remember 'The Fox and the Hound' was actually the first movie to make me cry). Mostly though it was about myself (not saying that's a bad thing, that's how we are, especially as children). I remember crying over sorta of weird reasons, though, like when I was 5 I remember my mum made me a sandwich, and I couldn't finish it and I threw it away. For some reason I found it emotional and started crying over it! I never cried because I missed my parents past the age of maybe 10...I remember going on a school camp for a few days, and I actually cried when we got home because I missed the place we went to! lol

As a teen I got emotional when I felt I was being bullied...I've always had a tendency to feel emotional during heated arguments, say with my parents, too. I didn't argue much with my parents or sisters or almost never with friends. I remember one time crying when I accidentally injured my dad, when I wound up the window (electronic windows) and caught his hand up in it. I would also get a bit teary when extremely depressed, or feeling lonely/wishing I had friends. I literally had no friends through much of high school. I guess I felt guilty. But in my early 20s I don't think I cried for years.

Later on, my depression/anxiety got worse, and I started getting emotional again. I'd start crying over sad films, and started crying when watching say sad documentaries.etc, I guess I was more empathetic too. I rarely full on sob or anything, I did when I thought I was going to die, or when I had a mental breakdown, but I still don't cry often, and if you mean properly cry than still quite seldom. I think I'm a fairly sensitive person, but I guess I never thought of myself as much of a crier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,816 times
As a kid, I cried more with physical pain more than emotional pain. Being hit, falling hard, etc etc. I'd get hurt when someone hurt my feelings, but I wouldn't cry about it much. I'd take myself out of that situation and move on.

Now, I cry over things of an emotional/psychological nature or career and achievement issues. I cry when I don't feel like I'm learning something fast enough at work, when I haven't mastered a certain technique soon enough. I cry when I keep seeing certain patterns reoccuring in my life and I can't seem to find a way to overcome it.

The only thing I cry about now that affected me in my childhood is when I don't feel like I'm getting the emotional support I'd like to have. Sometimes I feel like the whole world (my family) is against me and I'm the only one trying to advocate for myself. I feel like they say things to me that they wouldn't to anyone else or act like I don't need advocating for and that makes me feel like I have no one to rely on but myself. My perception is that they often think I can handle myself which I can. but that doesn't mean I don't want to feel the connectivity that comes from having support when I'm down.

So I cry now when I don't feel a sense of belonging.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
As an adult I rarely cry due to emotional issues or sadness.

However, as an artist, I can cry looking at a great piece of art, I cry sometimes listening to a beautiful and powerful song on Youtube, certain forms of art have a deep emotional effect on me and I can almost feel the same energy and passion that went into creating it...and emotional movies and historical period films get me every time.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
As a child I was extremely sensitive to having my feelings hurt, and I'd tear-up very easily. To try to counter-balance this, I made the decision very young (maybe 5-6) to NOT cry in response to physical pain. The crying for emotional hurt, I couldn't control, but I COULD control crying about getting hurt physically.

I remember in 1st grade I got stung by a bee at school and all the kids were commenting, with a sense of awe & respect, that I hadn't cried at all. I remember feeling so proud of myself! I was this girl that anyone could reduce to tears with a few unkind words, but I could be stung by a bee--a terrible pain to any 6-year old, something that even made the boys cry--and not cry at all!

When I was in 6th grade I had a bad injury that hurt like hell, but I sucked it up, not wanting to cry in front of other kids. I ended up fainting from the pain, maybe because I had held in my crying, I don't know. But at least felt good when other kids were like "wow, that hurt enough to make you pass out, and you didn't even cry!" Little did they realize that if they had only said an unkind word about what I was wearing, I'd be in tears.

As a young adult I got better at handling emotional hurt. I do cry very easily, usually when alone, but it's about 50/50 between sad triggers and happy/inspirational triggers. Just yesterday I cried reading a story about a teenage girl with Down Syndrome who was able to model clothes for a hot teen clothing retailer. I also cried a few days ago for a dog I never met, but who had to be put down.

I cry in response to news stories, like the little kids who survived the mass shooting in Kenya.
I cry when the National Anthem is played.
I cry watching Long Island Medium.
I cry watching Secret Millionaire.

None of this is sobbing, just my eyes watering.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
As an adult I rarely cry due to emotional issues or sadness.

However, as an artist, I can cry looking at a great piece of art, I cry sometimes listening to a beautiful and powerful song on Youtube, certain forms of art have a deep emotional effect on me and I can almost feel the same energy and passion that went into creating it...and emotional movies and historical period films get me every time.
Me too, actually. Well I don't full on cry, but I get very emotional and start to tear up a bit. I've never been that much like that before, though. Like even listening to a national anthem, even though I'm not patriotic, or hearing about something inspiring...I actually often find things that are inspiring, beautiful, good, like someone who has done a really selfless saintly act, make me more emotional than something calculated to make you feel sad. This might not apply because I'm a guy - well I'm sure some guys are just like girls, but anyway I generally don't find sappy romances that emotional at all. I find films like Gandhi or something far more so, like the triumph of the human spirit of something as corny as that may sound lol.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
As a child I was extremely sensitive to having my feelings hurt, and I'd tear-up very easily. To try to counter-balance this, I made the decision very young (maybe 5-6) to NOT cry in response to physical pain. The crying for emotional hurt, I couldn't control, but I COULD control crying about getting hurt physically.

I remember in 1st grade I got stung by a bee at school and all the kids were commenting, with a sense of awe & respect, that I hadn't cried at all. I remember feeling so proud of myself! I was this girl that anyone could reduce to tears with a few unkind words, but I could be stung by a bee--a terrible pain to any 6-year old, something that even made the boys cry--and not cry at all!

When I was in 6th grade I had a bad injury that hurt like hell, but I sucked it up, not wanting to cry in front of other kids. I ended up fainting from the pain, maybe because I had held in my crying, I don't know. But at least felt good when other kids were like "wow, that hurt enough to make you pass out, and you didn't even cry!" Little did they realize that if they had only said an unkind word about what I was wearing, I'd be in tears.

As a young adult I got better at handling emotional hurt. I do cry very easily, usually when alone, but it's about 50/50 between sad triggers and happy/inspirational triggers. Just yesterday I cried reading a story about a teenage girl with Down Syndrome who was able to model clothes for a hot teen clothing retailer. I also cried a few days ago for a dog I never met, but who had to be put down.

I cry in response to news stories, like the little kids who survived the mass shooting in Kenya.
I cry when the National Anthem is played.
I cry watching Long Island Medium.
I cry watching Secret Millionaire.

None of this is sobbing, just my eyes watering.
I'm similar, I was emotionally sensitive but rarely remember crying from pain. I was stung by a bee when I was a kid and I wasn't anywhere close to crying. I think maybe when I was like 6 or younger I did, but definitely not when I was like 8 or older.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Dunno' about childhood, would imagine I cried a lot.
Nowadays, I cry at least once a month, and often more frequently.
I cry out of embarrassment, shame, sorrow, frustration, emotional pain (not physical).

Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
I cry here and there. Hormones or disappointment in myself. I'm a very harsh critic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology