Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What does OSHA and workers have to do with this?
The loud music is damaging the hearing of those playing the loud music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
The loud music is damaging the hearing of those playing the loud music.
You are 100% correct however your point is 100% irrelevant since there are no "workers" in the context of this thread.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
For one they have the young person mindset of "I will live forever", "nothing will ever harm me".

But many of these are played WAY above the level where hearing is damaged. OSHA requires workers who are working around noise that loud to wear hearing protection.

Quote:
You are 100% correct however your point is 100% irrelevant since there are no "workers" in the context of this thread.
If the noise level of the music is above what OSHA has found to harm workers, then the noise level is enough to harm those blasting the music. That is the correlation. And, it wasn't my point, Billy_J introduced it.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,359 times
Quote:
Propagating their culture.
Exactly right. My music is so awesome that everyone must hear! Bow down before my most excellent taste in music!!! BTW, I live on acreage

Quote:
Especially noticeable when it is 115F or 42F outside and all the windows are down.

Similar "statements" made by those with tattoos. It's 42F outside and Mr. Tats is wearing a tank top or T Shirt to show off his tattoos.
42C

PS: Playing Zep at low volumes would be very wrong

Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
They want to make sure everyone notices how clever they are, how great their taste in music is, and how knowledgeable they are about stereo systems.

Wow, wouldn't they be surprised to learn what the real impression is that they are giving.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
You are so correct. If you loose your hearing from industrial noise, you just go deaf. If you loose your hearing from recreational sounds, you get a special pass and it gets automatically fixed while you are sleeping. It's a miracle type of thing.

Bang away. We seriously envy you your choice of music and amps to blast it.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
It has gotten even worse. They weren't satisfied to just blast from the inside of the car, now they are mounting speakers in the grilles of cars so we can ALL be entertained. Some stupid judge down here has decided the cops can't arrest them because loud music is a freedom of speech.

Every Friday and Saturday we have to call the cops at 2 am because a local club is letting out and the patrons sit in their cars and crank up the music. We live a half mile away and it shakes our windows and wakes us up.

Don

Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo wooman View Post
i mean, from their cars (with those jurassic park subwoofers rattling the roof) and in their apartments?

I find it quite trashy behavior but am looking to understand what is really driving it. Sometimes i think it's a way to draw attention to themselves.
They think it's cool. I used to do that (from my car) as a teenager to impress the girls. In fact, all my friends did, and we did get the attention we wanted from the girls.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
When I was younger, I used to roll down my windows and blast my heavy metal music whenever the traffic came to a halt on the freeways in protest..

Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
When I was younger, I used to roll down my windows and blast my heavy metal music whenever the traffic came to a halt on the freeways in protest..
Lol. I wanted to share my music. What noone has ever walked by and said, "Oh I love this song...We will we will Rock you!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology