Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're a lot nicer than me. But then...like I said, I think there's a connection. I have a sneaky suspicion that many of the same people who toss their cart aside toss trash out their car windows as well.

Could be very wrong... for me--I respect everyone and I thank God for the beautiful earth we live in. and will beat my G-kids tails if they throw stuff anywhere but the trash, and try to teach them to be good stewards and respect people.. . I will actually place a cart near it's location most times... but I do not hate people that do not... nor look down at anyone period! .. and that's what I saw this thread to be. In 60 yrs I have not heard of anyone's car damaged from a cart... know it happens, just rare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Could be very wrong... for me--I respect everyone and I thank God for the beautiful earth we live in. and will beat my G-kids tails if they throw stuff anywhere but the trash, and try to teach them to be good stewards and respect people.. . I will actually place a cart near it's location most times... but I do not hate people that do not... nor look down at anyone period! .. and that's what I saw this thread to be. In 60 yrs I have not heard of anyone's car damaged from a cart... know it happens, just rare...
I don't HATE anyone, but I do think it's often very inconsiderate. For instance, when carts take up parking spaces - and in order to park there, closer to the store, you have to get out and move the cart that someone else just left there. Scratches on the sides of vehicles are another issue - and this DOES happen. It's simply inconsiderate. Maybe people haven't really realized that - several people on this thread have stated that since they read this thread, they've reconsidered and have started leaving the carts in the cart bins rather than just "laying or rolling around" in the parking lot.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
The answer is obvious: the shopping carts are alive.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM

then i would just have said- Excuse me folks how about being considerate and placing buggies back in the corrals---because::::and what goes around come around... so one act of kindness might save your fender or door... worlds like looking down etc were used... honey is better than vinegar right?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
then i would just have said- Excuse me folks how about being considerate and placing buggies back in the corrals---because::::and what goes around come around... so one act of kindness might save your fender or door... worlds like looking down etc were used... honey is better than vinegar right?
Go for it and get back with us - let us know how well your advice is accepted by strangers in a parking lot who aren't returning their carts to the corral.

Are you really sure you want to do that? I'd personally be pretty nervous about it. It's enough for me if just ONE person reading this thread decides to start returning the cart to the corrals. And I believe we've had at least one person say that due to this thread, they've rethought their opinion and are going to start returning the cart more often.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
So does it irritate you that others don't respect you enough to throw their own trash away?

They don't even know I exist, so I don't take it as personal disrespect. If I'm looking for things that irritate me, I can do a lot better that, I'm far more often irritated by people in high places, than in low places -- their evil is from greed, not ignorance..

Some litterers are just immature, they''ll grow up. Some are just angry, they have a lot to be angry about. Some are just stupid. But if we eliminated everyone who is stupider than I am, I'd be the stupidest one left, so it's better to learn to live with them.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-13-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Well, I not only "heard" of it, I was there when my son, proud of his brand new car, took me for a ride and we went to Sam's Club. He parked pretty far away from the store and came out to find a cart resting squarely against the passenger side door. With a big ding.

Just a few weeks ago, I came out of the store and got caught in the throes of a fierce thunderstorm. Sitting in my brand new car, I decided to wait it out. I watched an abandoned cart, caught in the wind, do a 360 and sail across the lot towards a very new pick-up truck. My vision was obscured and I lost sight of the cart, but unless it eventually hit something, it's probably pretty close to the Canadian border now.

Why is it so hard to take a cart, one of those sitting idly in the lot, when you're on your way into the store? You just walked past half a dozen and when you get into the lobby, you complain because the carts are impossible to separate! Manners aside, what happened to common sense?

I say institute the cart rental and eliminate the problem.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Go for it and get back with us - let us know how well your advice is accepted by strangers in a parking lot who aren't returning their carts to the corral.

Are you really sure you want to do that? I'd personally be pretty nervous about it. It's enough for me if just ONE person reading this thread decides to start returning the cart to the corrals. And I believe we've had at least one person say that due to this thread, they've rethought their opinion and are going to start returning the cart more often.
you missed the point- I said to inquire nicely on this forum NOT on the streets

Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
At least they are staying in the lots. Most of the newly arrived immigrants here that don't drive think they are personal grocery carriers. They will literally push a cart a mile back to their apt and leave it there for the poor sap who gets to drive around and round them up. That and there will be a dozen at the bus stop 1/2 mile down the road.

If they installed electronic wheel brakes on them there'd be 50 people in the emergency with wrist and chest injuries from trying to steal, err borrow the carts.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
At least they are staying in the lots. Most of the newly arrived immigrants here that don't drive think they are personal grocery carriers. They will literally push a cart a mile back to their apt and leave it there for the poor sap who gets to drive around and round them up. That and there will be a dozen at the bus stop 1/2 mile down the road.

If they installed electronic wheel brakes on them there'd be 50 people in the emergency with wrist and chest injuries from trying to steal, err borrow the carts.

CIA: Shopping Cart Edition - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology