Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you missed the point- I said to inquire nicely on this forum NOT on the streets
Well, no, you didn't actually say that in your post, but thank you for clarifying your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Thought about this thread while out with my 85-year-old mom a few weeks ago. She walks with a cane now, and she loves having the shopping cart because she can lean on it while walking around the store. We shopped and got back to her car, which was parked in a handicapped spot. She put her stuff in the back seat and I said I'd take the cart over to the corral. She said, "No, no, leave it here by the handicapped spot--someone else will be happy to find it here." She pushed it up so that it was at the front of the spot, not in the spot, and it couldn't roll anywhere. Wasn't gonna argue with Mom over this one, but that's her perspective--someone needing the handicapped spot will be glad to find a cart there that will help them walk.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:26 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Today I was at the store, it was raining-and lots of pot holes of water as well- and one mom was putting her kid in the car seat and trying to get the groceries in the car fast as possible... she put the cart in the front of the car where it disturbs no others...another older lady also rushed to get the job done... took forever to find her keys... glad she was not robbed and it does happen alot with the fumbling of keys in parking lots. and I thought about this thread.., what do you do with the kids? walk away -to put the cart up? and the crime for hanging around the parking lot too long? we love car jackings here.. not to mention the purse snatchings ? what is safe at night? corrals are not always near? what about safety? I see parents send the kids to return the carts with cars backing out... that's why they now have video cameras on the dash...and the handicapped?? where shall they leave their carts??

Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,682 times
I was in the grocery store today, in the International Foods aisle looking for a taco dinner kit for dinner today. This lady with her cart was standing a couple of feet from me looking at the same, so she knew I was there. Someone she knew called her over to chat so she pushes her shopping cart right in my line of sight, blocking my view of the taco kits to go and talk. I pushed her cart out of the way.
I get that it was probably a knee jerk reaction from seeing her friend, but goodness.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM

To whoever left me a "rep" point (thanks by the way) correcting me and telling me that I wasn't paying attention - My reading comprehension skills apparently outmatch yours. Go back and read the post I quoted. Then read it again. You're wrong. I'm right. Don't send nasty grams via rep points. It's childish and I believe it's also against the forum rules.

At least man up and identify yourself in the rep if you can't manage to actually send a private message or stand on your own two feet in the forum.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Today I was at the store, it was raining-and lots of pot holes of water as well- and one mom was putting her kid in the car seat and trying to get the groceries in the car fast as possible... she put the cart in the front of the car where it disturbs no others...another older lady also rushed to get the job done... took forever to find her keys... glad she was not robbed and it does happen alot with the fumbling of keys in parking lots. and I thought about this thread.., what do you do with the kids? walk away -to put the cart up? and the crime for hanging around the parking lot too long? we love car jackings here.. not to mention the purse snatchings ? what is safe at night? corrals are not always near? what about safety? I see parents send the kids to return the carts with cars backing out... that's why they now have video cameras on the dash...and the handicapped?? where shall they leave their carts??
You put your kids in the car and lock the car, and then put the cart away. Or you take your kids with you to put the cart away.

I managed to put the cart away when I had kids ages 1, 3, 5, and 7 - in all kinds of weather. It's just not that hard.

The handicapped get a pass, if a corral is not adjacent to their parking spot. But I seriously doubt that most of the carts rolling around the parking lots are left there by the handicapped. Maybe the morally handicapped or those suffering from chronic laziness or selfishness...

Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thought about this thread while out with my 85-year-old mom a few weeks ago. She walks with a cane now, and she loves having the shopping cart because she can lean on it while walking around the store. We shopped and got back to her car, which was parked in a handicapped spot. She put her stuff in the back seat and I said I'd take the cart over to the corral. She said, "No, no, leave it here by the handicapped spot--someone else will be happy to find it here." She pushed it up so that it was at the front of the spot, not in the spot, and it couldn't roll anywhere. Wasn't gonna argue with Mom over this one, but that's her perspective--someone needing the handicapped spot will be glad to find a cart there that will help them walk.
OK I promise not to be mad when I see a cart sitting adjacent to a handicapped spot. But since I'm never parking in a handicapped spot or usually even near one, those carts aren't generally an issue to me.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around this. You go out to a grocery store, etc. and inevitably you will find shopping carts in the grass at the edge of the lots, on curbs, even in the middle parking spots. Yet, there are always "cart corrals" (or whatever you call them) that are nearby. It only takes a minimal effort to put the cart away properly once you have loaded your vehicle.

So what makes people feel that they are entitled to leave their cart where ever they please? That it is beneath them to take 10 seconds and put it away properly?

I've noticed that the biggest offenders seem to be Wal-Mart shoppers. I can't help but notice that, on average, there are many more carts abandoned throughout the parking lot at Wal-Marts than any other stores. So maybe it has something to do with poor people don't respect themselves, what makes you think so therefore they don't respect others?

But does anyone here do this? Leave the carts in the middle of a parking spot when a corral is just a few feet away? Can you please let me know what goes through your mind so that I can understand how you came to be such an awful person?
What makes you think "poor people" are the only ones who have bad manners?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well, I not only "heard" of it, I was there when my son, proud of his brand new car, took me for a ride and we went to Sam's Club. He parked pretty far away from the store and came out to find a cart resting squarely against the passenger side door. With a big ding.

Just a few weeks ago, I came out of the store and got caught in the throes of a fierce thunderstorm. Sitting in my brand new car, I decided to wait it out. I watched an abandoned cart, caught in the wind, do a 360 and sail across the lot towards a very new pick-up truck. My vision was obscured and I lost sight of the cart, but unless it eventually hit something, it's probably pretty close to the Canadian border now.

Why is it so hard to take a cart, one of those sitting idly in the lot, when you're on your way into the store? You just walked past half a dozen and when you get into the lobby, you complain because the carts are impossible to separate! Manners aside, what happened to common sense?

I say institute the cart rental and eliminate the problem.
I saw something today that made me glad and renewed my faith in young people. A young man, wearing kinda 'baggy' pants and a hoodie took his stuff to his vehicle and THEN he walked the basket all the way back, across the drive and actually put it with all the others ready to go into the store. He wasn't parked all that close either. I gave him a mental high five!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You put your kids in the car and lock the car, and then put the cart away. Or you take your kids with you to put the cart away.

I managed to put the cart away when I had kids ages 1, 3, 5, and 7 - in all kinds of weather. It's just not that hard.

The handicapped get a pass, if a corral is not adjacent to their parking spot. But I seriously doubt that most of the carts rolling around the parking lots are left there by the handicapped. Maybe the morally handicapped or those suffering from chronic laziness or selfishness...
Google "Matt Walsh Blog". I don't agree with a lot of things this guy writes but he did a bang up job of telling off people who leave their shopping carts all over the place. You might have to scroll down a bit but it's a good read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology