Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times

Advertisements

I have trouble getting organized and staying that way. My apartment is a mess. The land lady, or someone, inspected today and told me to clean up or get out, more or less. I have no idea why I can't seem to just keep everything neat, tidy, and well decorated like a normal person. I seem to just be drawn to mess things up. I guess I'm lazy, but I'm mostly only lazy when it comes to cleaning the house. I can do other things without a problem. I never make the same excuses about going to work and doing my jobs. I also don't seem to have a problem with getting physical exercise and walking instead of driving everywhere, but when it comes to cleaning the house, I just can't seem to do it that well. I guess my brain sees no benefit. Forget the fact that it is beneficial. I just can't seem to get "well, it's just going to get dirty again, so why bother?" out of my head. Cleaning up seems like a really unproductive way to spend my day.

I'm terribly disorganized, though. My car is a mess; there are papers everywhere, and I have unsavory insects crawling around trying to get into my lunch bag when I leave it in my car. My desk is also not very tidy, even though I only have a few students and only a few files to take care of.

I hate this. I can clean for other people, but they have to be specific about what they want, and I don't feel bad about it or unmotivated at all, even if I'm not making a lot of money off of it. I don't know what's wrong. I don't understand why I can't seem to follow through with my plans and get things neat and organized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM

I have no clue why I have this problem. I also don't know why people think clutter = dirty.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,791,139 times
The first step is to get rid of the stuff that you don't want or need. Otherwise you're just piling and rearranging. Too much stuff= messy clutter.

Do you have receptacles for storage? Baskets with lids, Rubbermaid containers, bins, and even wood trunks can work really well for storing items. You can still have your stuff, but it's put away, out of sight.

If you're being given an ultimatum, I would advise you to ask a friend or family member if they'd be willing to help you. Sometimes if you have someone with you, it can motivate you more than if you try to do it alone.

You might be surprised how much you really enjoy living in a clean, clutter-free space after it's done. It can be very hard to navigate around messes and clutter and you just get used to it. After that mess is gone, you can breathe and relax and not worry about inspections and being asked to leave.

Good luck to you. You can do it. Just start somewhere and tell yourself that you can take a break at a certain point. And then do the same every day until you've made progress.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I also don't know why people think clutter = dirty.
Because of this

Quote:

I have unsavory insects crawling around trying to get into my lunch bag when I leave it in my car.
Having bugs and being threatened with eviction are a huge wake-up call for you to take action.

6 Ways to Clean House When You're Depressed - Depression Center - EverydayHealth.com

https://www.maidtoshinecleaners.com/...orado-springs/

Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
You need to take the time to clean up right after you finish a task. Clean up the tub/sink after you use them. Hang u your clothes or put them in the laundry bin as soon as you take them off. Clean up the dishes/kitchen right after you eat. Have trash baskets in every room and use them. Clean up your desk every day before you leave work. Etc.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
You need to take the time to clean up right after you finish a task. Clean up the tub/sink after you use them. Hang u your clothes or put them in the laundry bin as soon as you take them off. Clean up the dishes/kitchen right after you eat. Have trash baskets in every room and use them. Clean up your desk every day before you leave work. Etc.
Maybe I'm getting better, but often I don't even remember the tasks I need to complete to stay organized. I also reguarly wake up at around 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning and have trouble getting back to sleep.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Are some of the items sentimental, but everything is sentimental beyond the number of items that are typically sentimental to someone? If so, I can relate to this, but possibly offer a few suggestions:

If the items (realistically) are past their useful life, beyond repair, etc., perhaps you could take some really good photographs before discarding them, and then create a scrapbook that you can really cherish, which would be more honorably presented and kept than items lying around collecting dust and deteriorating.

If the items are in decent condition, but maybe you're holding onto them out of sentimentality for some person, could you donate them to a charity that you know the person they originated with would support? I've had friend give me things with great intentions, but there's no way I could really use what they gave me, and the items were way too bulky that I simply had no room for, so that's one way I've been able to cope with it. It makes the emotional process of cleaning out "clutter" (I use that term with compassion as I know one person's trash can be another's treasure, but it still becomes clutter when it starts impeding your life in a negative way).

I know firsthand that sometimes these things are easier said than done.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Are some of the items sentimental, but everything is sentimental beyond the number of items that are typically sentimental to someone? If so, I can relate to this, but possibly offer a few suggestions:

If the items (realistically) are past their useful life, beyond repair, etc., perhaps you could take some really good photographs before discarding them, and then create a scrapbook that you can really cherish, which would be more honorably presented and kept than items lying around collecting dust and deteriorating.

If the items are in decent condition, but maybe you're holding onto them out of sentimentality for some person, could you donate them to a charity that you know the person they originated with would support? I've had friend give me things with great intentions, but there's no way I could really use what they gave me, and the items were way too bulky that I simply had no room for, so that's one way I've been able to cope with it. It makes the emotional process of cleaning out "clutter" (I use that term with compassion as I know one person's trash can be another's treasure, but it still becomes clutter when it starts impeding your life in a negative way).

I know firsthand that sometimes these things are easier said than done.
I'm ashamed to admit that most of the clutter in my house doesn't have sentimental value. It's mostly litter or things that I've forgotten to put up because I was too tired. I also just don't have a regular place for things.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
I'm ashamed to admit that most of the clutter in my house doesn't have sentimental value. It's mostly litter or things that I've forgotten to put up because I was too tired. I also just don't have a regular place for things.
That actually could be a good thing, since feeling a sentimental value in clutter to where everything holds some sentimental value to an extreme (i.e."that used plastic cup came from the night I had a really great discussion with my favorite aunt back in 93', etc.) can really complicate the ability to make changes. I think the other posters here have given some good advice, so I would just reiterate that.

The only other point I'll add is that another nice perk to finding more specific places for certain items is that you don't needlessly buy items that you already have but forget that you have.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM

Yes, but finding a place for things is actually pretty hard. My mind wants to make categories for everything I have, and sometimes I just don't know where certain items fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology