Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:39 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

Simple habit. I don't think there's anything nefarious about it. FWIW, I'm in my early 40s and I sneeze/cough into my inner elbow... I'm pretty sure that's what I was taught as a child? Though I did take pre-nursing classes my senior year of high school, so maybe I learned it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This^^^^^!!!

Unless you've just washed or sanitized your hands, touching your eyes, nose or mouth is a sure way to transfer germs into your body.
I am not minimizing the fact that one can breathe in germs when someone talks, coughs, or sneezes but washing your hands can prevent the spread of germs and viruses.
But just breathing out - without coughing or sneezing - is enough for a person with the flu to spread the virus.
Actually, sneezing is not a big factor in aerosol shedding of flu virus through exhaled breath.

Germs from sick food workers can get onto food if workers cough or sneeze into your food or do not wash their hands properly and then touch food with their hands.
Hospital workers not washing their hands or changing their gloves spread the germs from one patient to another (you would think they KNOW about it!)

Good hand hygiene is always important in reducing transmission of infections. There is quite good evidence that putting up barriers, like washing your hands a lot or wearing a mask, will reduce the chance of catching viruses.
Yep, the sickest place I’ve worked (associated with a health department, ironically) had locked work areas with NO SINKS inside the work areas. They also had no paper towel dispensers for you to hold the door handle. They had placed hand sanitizers by the doors, BUT they were usually empty. I remember one day where there was literally BLOOD on one of the doors and we had to bleach the door down, and in doing so we realized that the cleaning staff literally did no cleaning whatsoever of the door handle mechanisms. It was disgusting and disturbing and really annoying to catch a cold about every month. We had several people get pneumonia in a short time.

As for the actual topic, I try my best to sneeze into my elbow, but sometimes it comes on so fast that I only get my hand to my mouth. Typically when that is the case, I go to wash my hands immediately if at all possible.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
OP: Start wearing a mask and gloves 24/7 and be done with it. You can't control other people or what they do or don't do.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I remember as a kid we were taught polite etiquette was to cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing. The hand was the most convenient place to do it if you didn't have a kleenex or something available.

It wasn't until much later the message to the common population shifted from not just coughing/sneezing on others but more of a broader control of the potential health risks.

I don't think whether someone sneezes in their elbow or hand has anything to do with Psychology, just basic hygiene.

Now if someone obsesses over it? Different story.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What makes people STILL cough and sneeze in their palms?

The same thinking that makes people use the toilet (stall), go to the sink, turn on the water, soap up their hands then turn off the water by touching the filthy water faucet with their clean hands.
That has always bothered me. I have been in bathrooms that are so filthy I skip washing hands. Rather have my own germs on my hands than someone elses.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Coughs and sneezes often come on very quickly without warning. If people don't use their hands, don't have time for a hanky, what would you prefer they do?

Just let 'em rip into the open room??????
See. Many people have not even learned about the chicken wing maneuver.

Padgett, you bring your arm across your face and sneeze into the crook of the arm, hopefully you are wearing a long sleeve shirt. When you use your hand/palm, and then touch something, you are spreading the germs to others.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:41 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
See. Many people have not even learned about the chicken wing maneuver.

Padgett, you bring your arm across your face and sneeze into the crook of the arm, hopefully you are wearing a long sleeve shirt. When you use your hand/palm, and then touch something, you are spreading the germs to others.
Yep. I learned that one about thirty years ago.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:05 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Just the other day, I caught someone sneezing into their hands and scolded them for it. Especially with the new contagious coronavirus spreading rapidly, I told them they have to be more careful and try not to spread germs around.

Then, literally hours later, I had a sudden sneeze come out and sneezed right into my hands, lol.

So it happens...just wash your hands right after and don't touch anything.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:57 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Just the other day, I caught someone sneezing into their hands and scolded them for it. Especially with the new contagious coronavirus spreading rapidly, I told them they have to be more careful and try not to spread germs around.

Then, literally hours later, I had a sudden sneeze come out and sneezed right into my hands, lol.

So it happens...just wash your hands right after and don't touch anything.
Seriously? If someone sneezes when they don't expect to and put their hands over their face you scold them? That's a reflex. At least it is for people who have been taught to not cough on others.

What's our current coronavirus count?

Old 02-03-2020, 03:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Seriously? If someone sneezes when they don't expect to and put their hands over their face you scold them? That's a reflex. At least it is for people who have been taught to not cough on others.
That's old school...it certainly is not MY reflex - back of my hand if it's sudden, usually crook of my arm.
I say something - not scold.
I said to a women once, "You just sneezed in your hand and now you're going thru all the CDs?!"(Astonished)
I put my hands up as I backed away.
No one was around.
She was thoroughly unconscious -not a 'bad' person.

My friends are thoroughly unconscious, also -with their 5 yr old ---they are SO sick every 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology