Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:34 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Old school isn't a bad thing. My parents were born in the early twentieth century. There were no antibiotics and cleanliness was next to Godliness. You probably remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 03:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's old school...it certainly is not MY reflex - back of my hand if it's sudden, usually crook of my arm.
I say something - not scold.
I said to a women once, "You just sneezed in your hand and now you're going thru all the CDs?!"(Astonished)
I put my hands up as I backed away.
No one was around.
She was thoroughly unconscious -not a 'bad' person.

My friends are thoroughly unconscious, also -with their 5 yr old ---they are SO sick every 2 months.
What about all the people you didn't see? Someone might have just wiped their butt, not washed their hands, and gone through the CDs. You have to wash your own hands after being somewhere with lots of people.

I use a wipe on the shopping cats and then grab wipes on the way out for my hands and don't worry about what other people do. I already know a good % of them are not washing their hands and leaving germs everywhere.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:50 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
I grew up being taught to cover your sneeze/cough, but no one suggested what to use to cover it, and the natural body part to do that is with your hand. You do everything else with your hands, after all.

It's only in recent years (at least for me) that I heard that you should sneeze/cough into your arm.

But sometimes sneezes come so fast that I reflexively use my hand to cover it. Then I had to wash my hands right away to get rid of the germs. It's still a new habit for me to try to sneeze into my arm instead.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I'm not sneezing into my sleeve. That is disgusting. My hand, I can wash off. I'd need to go home and do laundry to wash my sleeve.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:16 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
It's an old habit...

Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm sure this has been said (I didn't read the whole thread from several years back), but the alternative is sneezing or coughing into the room, where vaporized droplets will contaminate everyone in sight and all the surfaces for hours to come so, unless you happen to have your hankie handy, your palm, arm, or sleeve is the next best thing to avoid infecting others. Contrary to one assertion, most people don't go around coughing or sneezing in the absence of a cold; even if they did, would you want to inhale it? Re: touching that hand or something else that hand has touched, it's a non-issue until your then-contaminated hand touches your food or your mouth, eyes, or nose. Just wash your own hands before doing any of that. As for bathroom hygiene, you wash your hands, wipe them with a paper towel (not that blower thing or the revolving cloth), use said towel to turn off the spigots, and then use the paper towel to open the door -- unless it sensibly opens outward -- before disposing of it.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-11-2020 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM

156 posts, read 440,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What about all the people you didn't see? Someone might have just wiped their butt, not washed their hands, and gone through the CDs. You have to wash your own hands after being somewhere with lots of people.

I use a wipe on the shopping cats and then grab wipes on the way out for my hands and don't worry about what other people do. I already know a good % of them are not washing their hands and leaving germs everywhere.

What's really bad is some (not all) elderly people. They're worse than children. Children can be taught hygiene as they age, it's the opposite for many elderly. Their bathroom hygiene can be very poor. I'm talking about leaving the bathroom with bits of poop smeared on their hands and under their fingernails. Then think of everything they touch. It's a wonder I haven't gotten E. Coli yet. Yes Grandma, I'm talking about you.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
What's really bad is some (not all) elderly people. They're worse than children. Children can be taught hygiene as they age, it's the opposite for many elderly. Their bathroom hygiene can be very poor. I'm talking about leaving the bathroom with bits of poop smeared on their hands and under their fingernails. Then think of everything they touch. It's a wonder I haven't gotten E. Coli yet. Yes Grandma, I'm talking about you.
If they do, it's because of physical infirmities, and not because they want to. As for getting E. Coli, AGAIN, you won't unless you use your own dirty hands to eat or touch your orifices. Keep your OWN hands clean, and there's absolutely no danger of catching anything (unless the other unclean person actually handles your food; "Grandma" probably isn't working the drive-thru).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology