Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times

Advertisements

See, this isn't in Health.

It's one of those psych questions like why people leave shopping carts all over.

What is it that people don't "get" about the utter rudeness of then touching
the shopping cart or the CDs I was looking at?

I don't really get too bugged about this, I'm past that, life is too short...
But they are shortening it !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,442,137 times
What makes people STILL cough and sneeze in their palms?

The same thinking that makes people use the toilet (stall), go to the sink, turn on the water, soap up their hands then turn off the water by touching the filthy water faucet with their clean hands.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM

259 posts, read 671,071 times
Habit.

They don't have a child to teach them the 'chicken wing'.

How about cashiers who lick their fingers and touch bills?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,442,137 times
I don't cough and sneeze in my palms. I aim for other people's computer keyboards, mice, doorknobs, and telephone handles.

If I have to be miserable, everybody has to be miserable.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,204,511 times
Coughs and sneezes often come on very quickly without warning. If people don't use their hands, don't have time for a hanky, what would you prefer they do?

Just let 'em rip into the open room??????

Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
If a personal has a communicable sickness like a common cold, their cough and sneeze will distribute contagious pathogens. But most people, most of the time, cough or sneeze for other reasons, and what they are emitting in their exhalation is perfectly harmless.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What makes people STILL cough and sneeze in their palms?

The same thinking that makes people use the toilet (stall), go to the sink, turn on the water, soap up their hands then turn off the water by touching the filthy water faucet with their clean hands.
Ah,
THAT same thinking....which would be no thinking at all, I see.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Coughs and sneezes often come on very quickly without warning.
If people don't use their hands, don't have time for a hanky,
what would you prefer they do?

Just let 'em rip into the open room??????
Ah, I see you are one of those that has no clue to use the inside of your
elbow, or at the least the back of your hand.
You are the exact person I was hoping this thread might educate.
No need to get all huffy.

If ONE person would use their arm to cough into, as CNN, ABC World News tonight, Sanjay MD, etc.,
tried to teach people during the many virus scares...I prob would not have had to take
several days off of work last January...and the world will have one less person
spreading germs all over everything they touch.

I don't believe there is a sugar coating to put on this or I would.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,469 times
I forget like 1 time out of 20. Sometimes I just can't make it to the crook of my elbow.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,765 times
Since this is in psychology, I'll go with this answer.

I would think people do it because that's what some generations were taught (I'm 38 for the sake of what generation I belong to). Never saw the "chicken wing" until my nephews (the eldest is 6). Even with my X's nieces, they were taught to cough in their hands (eldest is 20). You do what you're taught or you mimic your parents.

Health side of it, from my understand (I could be totally wrong), but if someone who coughed/sneezed in their hand (which, btw, is a lot better than not doing it at all as sneezes can travel up to 6 feet, ew), then touched something. Then you touched that same thing. The only reason you get sick is because you touch an orifice (mouth, eyes, nose, etc). If you touched things, didn't touch your face, and washed your hands after say, going to the grocery store, you probably wouldn't get sick.

Because I have allergies, I've conditioned myself to not touch my face unless my hands are clean. When everyone in the office is sick, I make more of a point not touch my face. I don't really get sick and since I'm the admin, I have to touch everything the sick people touch. Oh and I have Purell at my desk, for me, not for them.

So for those that are bothered by it. Carry Purell or wipes. And for crying out loud, do not touch your face or anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology