Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times

Advertisements

Same...I could have sworn there was another thread like this that I replied to.

In any case, yeah, I have dreams where I'm either in college or in high school and its a class that I haven't shown up to all year and feel nervous and awkward because there's a test, or something that day.

Then sometimes I realize that I don't need to be there or that I realize, "Hey, I graduated already" and everything is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Fear of failure....you're just not good enough.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I have variations on all of these dreams. Last night I dreamed that I worked at the university I went to, but I couldn't remember where my office was. I also dream that I'm back in school but I don't know why and I don't want to be there. Or that I'm in high school and haven't been to class all semester and I have to take a test.

It's always such a relief to wake up from those dreams.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Once in a while, I have a nightmare about being in college and having a class that I registered for and then totally forgot until the semester was mostly over. Then I wake up and realize that I already have some college diplomas around here somewhere.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I am 20 years out of undergrad, and every once in a while, I have a dream that I am in college, and about to graduate, and I will have to leave all my friends and go out into the "real world" and it fills me with dread and terror.

I awaken, and it usually takes a few minutes for me to realize its not true.

When I was in college, I wasn't ready to leave undergrad, and spent a 5th year there because of it.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,149 times
Wow I have no schedule I can't find my class room and I never find the room "administration" to find out why I am here and what classes I need to finish and I am bazaar

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I've had this kind of dream very frequently over the past several years. Even though I graduated college 10 years ago, I dream that I'm back in college but not the one I went to (oftentimes several credits short of graduating) and begrudgingly have to do one more year or semester, and feel very disappointed. In my dream I'm back in school at my current age, with kids who are at least 10 years younger and I feel uncomfortable.

I'm not familiar with psychology or dream interpretation, but if you have any theories I'd definitely welcome them.

Thanks in advance.
LOL---I used to have the same dream, except it was about not gradating high school.

Man...it certainly was recurring; I must have had it a couple times every month for several years. I do not have it any longer, however, as it has been a good five or six years since it ended.

One of the most memorable and prominent aspects of the dream was that it seemed to be summertime at my old high school, so it was mostly empty, but I had to take a summer class I guess, in order to graduate. So I remember that in the dream I would be lost and wander around empty hallways trying to find my classroom where I had to take a test I did not study for in order to graduate.

I wonder what some of the old psycho-analysts would say about these types of dreams. As you mentioned, I believe they are not uncommon, so are most likely a part of what the psychiatrist Carl Jung once referred to as "the Collective Archetype." By this I think he meant that there are some universal thought patterns and desires and fears that we all have. Thus, some of those are manifested in our dreams, which is basically the only time that our subconscious can speak to us about its fears and desires.

It seems like other common dreams that must somehow tie into this are: dreams about falling; not being able to run away from something (like you are running in quicksand--or there is some sort of big ol' rubber band holding you back). Oh, and how about the one when you are in a car and the brakes don't work? Or you are sliding and spinning in the car out of control in heavy traffic; but you never seem to hit anything? LOL

Thus: I do not think the interpretations of these common dreams are all that difficult:

"Being late for class, or not graduating" = you have some sort of pending unfinished business in your life that concerns you.

"Falling" = Some aspect in your life that you cherish or is important to you may be in danger of ending or being taken from you.

"Unable to run away" = You are not dealing with a troublesome problem well enough; or you feel there is no escaping from a looming consequence that scares you.

"Spinning out of control in a car" = Perhaps you have too much on your plate and thus are not able to handle everything as efficiently as you would like. Something is overwhelming you in your life. I have also found that persons with substance abuse issues often have these dreams.

I enjoy talking about this stuff; having been a psych major. I also believe that we can learn from our dreams and that the science of dream analysis is a fascinating and useful one.

Last edited by Der Vogel; 03-05-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
What does it tell us about the psychological trauma of school, that it lingers the rest of our lives as an anxiety issue, affecting almost everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology