U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,601,728 times

Advertisements

I've had this kind of dream very frequently over the past several years. Even though I graduated college 10 years ago, I dream that I'm back in college but not the one I went to (oftentimes several credits short of graduating) and begrudgingly have to do one more year or semester, and feel very disappointed. In my dream I'm back in school at my current age, with kids who are at least 10 years younger and I feel uncomfortable.

I'm not familiar with psychology or dream interpretation, but if you have any theories I'd definitely welcome them.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,839,270 times
Sounds like a dream on feeling/being stuck and like you're doing the same things over and over and unable to move on to the next lesson/level.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM

9,781 posts, read 19,186,418 times
I dream about college quite frequently too, for some reason. I don't even think about it that much. It's usually something bad, like I think I failed an exam or didn't hand in an assignment or complete my course.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,415,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I dream about college quite frequently too, for some reason. I don't even think about it that much. It's usually something bad, like I think I failed an exam or didn't hand in an assignment or complete my course.
I dream similar things. I have dreamed I didn't study for a test, didnt write a paper and even that I forgot to go to class(or classes) for a whole semester. I actually feel very relieved when I wake up and realize I am no longer in college.

I was very stressed out when I went college so I think that fear and anxiety just stayed somewhere in my brain.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,446,051 times
I'm still dreaming about high school (I'm 74 years old). I have an important exam, but it's been so long since I've been to that class, I can't even remember what room it is in, and I'm wandering around school looking for the right room.

I also dream about work, where I have figured out so many ways to avoid doing things, that I now just go to work every day and do nothing, and I keep wondering why I get away with it, and have to keep looking busy, but I don't know how to do anything.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,704,930 times
Haha, I have dreams on a regular basis (at least 2-3 times a week) in which I'm back in high school or college, and there's some class I'm not prepared for, some test I didn't know about, some paper due, or I suddenly look at my class schedule and realize there's a class I should have been attending all semester but forgot about.

My weirdest dreams in this category have to do with gym clothes. when I was in high school we had gym on certain days and Health on the other days. On gym days, we had to have appropriate gym clothes to change into, or we'd get a "zero" for the day. In 4 years, I NEVER forgot gym clothes even once. I always had extra t-shirts, shorts, sweats, and sneakers in my locker anyway for track or cheerleading practice. But for some reason, I get these frequent anxiety dreams about not having gym clothes and realizing today is a "gym day."

Sometimes, I realize in the dream that I'm 44, and I question why I need to worry about a high school class or college class when I graduated long ago and even have a Master's degree. Then someone in the dream comes back with some explanation that I had somehow skipped this required class way back when, and if I don't finish it now, my diploma and degrees will get revoked retroactively. In the dream, this makes perfect sense and I get all this anxiety about getting an A in this forgotten class in order to keep my Master's degree and my job.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,613,348 times
Default Recurring dream that you haven't graduated college yet, but you did?

That's a common dream theme for me too.

Usually in the dream it's the end of the semester and I show up at a class I haven't been going to and/or doing the work for, scrambling to hopefully just squeeze by and graduate, or that I am told my degree is void unless I go back and do this or that class. I had the same kind of dreams for years after finishing High School too; I went to college late but have been done for 5 years and HS for 17 years.

I think they are "stress dreams" that stem from my subconscious being "displeased" that I'm not living up to my maybe too lofty personal expectations. Just my idea anyway...

Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,704,930 times
Yeah, I pretty much consider them my version of common anxiety dreams. Some people are afraid of snakes and spiders and dream about them. I guess I'm more afraid of not being a good performer in school/work or being unprepared. Even as a kid, getting a bad grade was far more frightening a prospect than scary monsters, criminals, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,013,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Haha, I have dreams on a regular basis (at least 2-3 times a week) in which I'm back in high school or college, and there's some class I'm not prepared for, some test I didn't know about, some paper due, or I suddenly look at my class schedule and realize there's a class I should have been attending all semester but forgot about.
Lol, I get these so often too! The mystery class I've forgotten about and never went to, and now I need it to graduate and there's an exam and I don't even remember which day it's on and in what room. Funny how it's such a common dream among people.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:47 AM

36,476 posts, read 15,595,221 times
I dream sometimes that I'm back in high school but at my current age with my college degrees. Everyone else is a teen again.

I'm confused as hell. Why am I in high school when I've already graduated college?

I chalk it up to anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology