Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times

Advertisements

When we think 'suicide', we think of physical/emotional pain, financial woes or some other unbearable scenario. This man didn't want to die, but he did it anyway. To end your life when you are healthy and happy and otherwise doing well, on the basis of not arriving at an age that may or may not be riddled with illness or incapacitation, equating 70 and 80 with infirmity, is just not rational to me. What are your thoughts?

The sportswriter who blogged his suicide - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
When we think 'suicide', we think of physical/emotional pain, financial woes or some other unbearable scenario. This man didn't want to die, but he did it anyway. To end your life when you are healthy and happy and otherwise doing well, on the basis of not arriving at an age that may or may not be riddled with illness or incapacitation, equating 70 and 80 with infirmity, is just not rational to me. What are your thoughts?

The sportswriter who blogged his suicide - CNN.com
It's not rational at all; it's entirely motivated out of fear. And from the article, he seemed deeply, deeply afraid of this imagined future.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
It's not rational at all; it's entirely motivated out of fear. And from the article, he seemed deeply, deeply afraid of this imagined future.
Some people might call him brave, but the fact that he was financially and mentally sound and in good health and still chose to end his life is strange. He could have devoted his life to helping people or doing good. Plus, the detailed website that he didn't release until after his death seems like an odd sort of attention seeking.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
This was discussed in the KS forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...on-county.html The man was obviously mentally ill.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
I give the man credit for taking the time to create the website. Regardless if it's for himself, for his fans, for his family, he at least took the time to take care of everything before he killed himself.

I know I will go out the same way. On my own terms. People always say, "you can't choose when you die", I never did understand that, of course you can choose when you die. It's just a matter if you are willing to do it yourself.

I have all my letters written up. I have a to do list. I'm only 38, so I doubt this will happen anytime soon, but hey, you just never know. I'd like to live a bit more, but if I was Martin, with a fulfilled life, why not go out when you're on top.....versus being in the gutter?

I think this has a lot to do with how you perceive life and death. Most people would never think of killing themselves. Even within those that think about it, a smaller number would actually do it. Not attempt it, do it, and complete the task. To those who think suicide is a cop out or that something has to be mentally wrong, that's your opinion. It's not necessarily the truth. Your way of thinking, isn't always the right way of thinking.

Call it what you want. Now I'm going to go read the website that he left behind. So far, I agree with him wholeheartedly and completely understand why he did what he did.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
60 is still young...at 80, maybe, but at 60 there are still new experiences to be had.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Manley was the man. Mitchell Heisman, even moreso:

suicide_note

Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
I'm probably a slight favorite to die by the same means. I don't intend on doing it anytime soon. But I am a nihilist and given all the near-infinite things that could happen to me personally and obviously to the universe/galaxy/solar system/planet...even with these incalculables, I still have the innumerate hubris to conclude that the probability that I kill myself is [only slightly (?)] greater than 50%.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
I don't blame the guy. Go out on top and on your own terms. I would gladly do the same when the time is right.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I give the man credit for taking the time to create the website. Regardless if it's for himself, for his fans, for his family, he at least took the time to take care of everything before he killed himself.

I know I will go out the same way. On my own terms. People always say, "you can't choose when you die", I never did understand that, of course you can choose when you die. It's just a matter if you are willing to do it yourself.

I have all my letters written up. I have a to do list. I'm only 38, so I doubt this will happen anytime soon, but hey, you just never know. I'd like to live a bit more, but if I was Martin, with a fulfilled life, why not go out when you're on top.....versus being in the gutter?

I think this has a lot to do with how you perceive life and death. Most people would never think of killing themselves. Even within those that think about it, a smaller number would actually do it. Not attempt it, do it, and complete the task. To those who think suicide is a cop out or that something has to be mentally wrong, that's your opinion. It's not necessarily the truth. Your way of thinking, isn't always the right way of thinking.

Call it what you want. Now I'm going to go read the website that he left behind. So far, I agree with him wholeheartedly and completely understand why he did what he did.
Because you won't know where your top was until you die. The reason Herodotus said, "Call no man happy until he is dead" is because you don't know what will come tomorrow, or next month, or next year. So while Martin may have enjoyed a lot of happiness and success up till now, no one--not even Martin--knows what else he may have accomplished or enjoyed next year if he had not killed himself.

I don't think he was necessarily mentally ill. But he was certainly motivated by a deep fear of what bad things might have happened in the future. And I think that fear blinded him to the good things that might have happened, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology