Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

in my experience, being around people is an unnecessary annoyance that I try to avoid as much as possible outside of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Solitude. Except on the internet sometimes as you can see.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
I want solitude to the max. I want to live on a houseboat (a house on a boat)in the swamps of Louisiana. Like Mitchell Guist and his brother did. All I want to hear is nature sounds around me. I am 63, married 44 years and this is what it has come to for me. Has anyone done this ? If it were up to me I would never speak to another human being, just the animals.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
amylewis, do you live in such a place filled with solitude in Naples?????? I don't have a ton of money to do that let alone around Naples. But you have described me pretty close to where I want to be.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM

20,003 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I want solitude to the max. I want to live on a houseboat (a house on a boat)in the swamps of Louisiana. Like Mitchell Guist and his brother did. All I want to hear is nature sounds around me. I am 63, married 44 years and this is what it has come to for me. Has anyone done this ? If it were up to me I would never speak to another human being, just the animals.
Might be one of those ideas that sounds better in between your ears than in real life, so it's wise you are asking for other's experiences. The problem is, such folks tend to be off-grid and wouldn't be here talking about it. Or at least they would not, I'd think, hang out in forums if they were really comfortable fishing and listening to crickets.

The most alone I've been was after the death of my 2nd wife. Up to then I had always been someone's son, brother, husband or father. At that point, with my wife dead and my two children grown, I found I needed more stimulation than just endless hiking in the mountains, hence I became part of a morning coffee group as I mentioned in an earlier post. Eventually I found a new S.O. and as it's difficult to control the unwanted side effects of all the relationships that brings into my world, including 2 stepchildren, I feel like I've probably gone a little too far the other way and some days I just want to sit in peace. Fortunately my work is solitary and intellectual so I get several hours a day sitting in front of a computer writing code.

A lot of people don't have that luxury and have to deal with Other People directly all the time. My work makes a nice balance for me that way. If a lot of your "fed-uppedness" comes from work it's something to consider. Perhaps you've never had the luxury of doing things you actually want to do in that realm. Something to consider. Retreating to a hermitage may be an over-reaction. Proceed with care.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
An equal balance of both

Old 09-17-2014, 06:12 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
An equal balance of both
Same here, but would prefer more solitude.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 AM

165 posts, read 194,428 times
I have been very into solitude for about 6 years. I got sick of listening to other people and having very few give a sh*t about what I was going through.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I'm an extrovert who very much enjoys people but does need some "down time" alone a few hours of every day. I find it very interesting that so often on the City-Data people who say they are introverts often post frequently to threads about how they want mostly solitude. Actually, in posting and taking part in these threads, they are, in fact, socializing!!!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'm an extrovert who very much enjoys people but does need some "down time" alone a few hours of every day.
I find it very interesting that so often on the City-Data people who say they are introverts
often post frequently to threads about how they want mostly solitude.
Actually, in posting and taking part in these threads, they are, in fact, socializing!!!
I agree...BUT...I can leave whenever I want!!!!
And no one's feelings get hurt and I don't have to explain or hear whining!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology