Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking it takes alot of confidence to seek solitude.
And it also takes confidence to go to events with crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What has happened in your life to cause you to feel this way? We were born as social animals and to want TOTAL solitude is not a normal state.
For you and most other people. Not everyone.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
For you and most other people. Not everyone.
Sadly, many people think that. They are social so everyone must be. I was getting housing assistance at one time and they were all worried that I didn't go out much. I was perfectly happy not going out and had enough housemates when I did it was to go somewhere alone. And we do have friends, but they are people we connected with and want to be around. To just have 'people' there is not helpful.

It's unfortunate that if your different, someone is bound to think you need to be 'fixed'.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's unfortunate that if your different, someone is bound to think you need to be 'fixed'.
So true.

Not married or don't date by XX age? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Don't have a solid "career" with a high income by XX age? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Don't have a gaggle of friends surrounding you? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Do most things alone in your spare time? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.

It amazes me how many people actually become hostile towards you and start putting you down just because you don't care about fitting in with some societal mold of how you should be.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
For me it's a balance, however, I enjoy quiet. Listening to music, reading, drawing, cooking, etc. I like my own company and the peace. I also like being around people, but it depends on the situation. I get along with people. Mainly I just want to be around positive people with good personalities, positive outlook in life. I'm not interested in someone rambling on about their problems and/or someone that has anger issues or just issues in general that wears that yuck on their sleeve. Drain to others. Only happy positive energy

Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
So true.

Not married or don't date by XX age? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Don't have a solid "career" with a high income by XX age? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Don't have a gaggle of friends surrounding you? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.
Do most things alone in your spare time? Something is wrong with you and you need to be fixed.

It amazes me how many people actually become hostile towards you and start putting you down just because you don't care about fitting in with some societal mold of how you should be.
The most wonderful thing that ever happened to me was discovering science fiction fandom. The first convention really felt like home and family, even if I didn't know anybody. But there were off the wall people like me. They were people who wrote stories about their favorite tv shows to take them where we'd like. They liked putting on different clothes without calling it a costume and play someone else. They were people who saw the world in a much different way, born of imagination and less limits, and didn't care if someone though they weren't 'normal'.

Not a big surprise but aside from fandom, many fans are also quiet and not out there in the normal social way, or considered different but glory in it. Some of the larger cons had people taking pictures of who went in since we were different. The politics is non standard without having one specific bent. I discovered there were others who felt about faith as I did, that the OLD ways felt right, and that was the first time I felt comfortable calling myself pagan, let alone wiccan.

Of course in 'normal life' I moved away from most of my friends but the whole crush of too many people and noise and general hostility was something I needed to lose, and I feel good about it. I haven't gotten back the coast but once, and wouldn't go unless it included LASFS and a convention and maybe a filk.
LASFS, Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society, over 60 years old, largest and oldest SF club in the world
Convention, the science fiction variety
filk science fiction/fantasy/computer/parody folk music sung in a circle of friends

It shouldn't be the norm that anyone who isn't 'normal' is thought of as increasingly odd and too many believe its society's responsibility to fix them back into the square box.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
What about dying alone? Are those of you who want solitude OK with that?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
better to die alone than to die with someone who is responsible for pushing you to an early grave.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Honestly I'd rather die alone. It would be selfish to take someone with me

Okay what I mean by this is that unless other people around you are dying as well you are dying alone

Old 10-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I believe we rest in Summerland, then are born into our next life. If when I pass out of this one, I know my dear pets are arrainged for and my son has a chance to say goodbye, if it was quiet and a dog was at my side, and I was at peace I wouldn't need people. I'm not afraid of this life ending, just leaving without the ones I love, two or four legs, being at peace and safe to finish theirs kindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology