Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Does age play a part?
Now, age could be a reason to seek out groups...but also could be
a reason for being tired of them, too.

Do you avoid parties, art fairs, gallery openings, taking classes?
Or do you just love socializing.
Given a choice would u rather stay at home or accept an invitation to a gathering?

I am thrilled no one was having a party this Labor Day Weekend.
I take full days of purposely not seeing a human being now a days.

I meditated in a Yogananda group for 3 hours yesterday...I wished that there were
more than half the people not there...that's when I realized...
I think I'm weird!! LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
All of the above. I don't feel comfortable in crowds, often downright uncomfortable. I prefer my own company. I like reading, browsing Netflix, taking my camera out , solitary road trips.

I guess I'm weird too.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 AM

83 posts, read 114,164 times
I definitely lean toward solitude - I enjoy my downtime and feel most relaxed and happy when I have quiet time alone at home or going for long walks in the woods by myself.

That said, I also enjoy community events, fairs, etc - but that is because I have a 4 year old and even then pretty much all of my energy is on my son, as opposed to socializing with other people there.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
All of the above. I don't feel comfortable in crowds, often downright uncomfortable. I prefer my own company. I like reading, browsing Netflix, taking my camera out , solitary road trips.

I guess I'm weird too.
I know, right?
I have friends that want take trips with me all the time ( I happen to be very congenial and
flow very well....THEY THINK!) A dear friend of 3 decades wanted to pay for us
to fly to Calif to see her rich sister that overlooks Lindsey Lohan's patio... I said No, to
her dismay.....I knew I have a hard time taking her to the airport she is so bossy...
But, we are great buddies in short doses...

I can listen to my own CDs alone on a road trip...not THEIRS all the time.
Gosh, I love my own company!!

I think as I get older my priorities have changed.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 AM

That sounds so sweet and well balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
I definitely lean toward solitude - I enjoy my downtime and feel most relaxed and happy when I have quiet time alone at home or going for long walks in the woods by myself.

That said, I also enjoy community events, fairs, etc - but that is because I have a 4 year old and even then pretty much all of my energy is on my son, as opposed to socializing with other people there.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I'm very extroverted - when I want to be. But I'm sort of a Jekyl and Hyde person I guess, because I'm either FULL ON or switched completely off. I enjoy crowds, parties, big conventions, etc when I need to go to them, or once in awhile on a vacation or fun little day trip (concerts, downtown 6th street in Austin on a weekend, that sort of thing), but I HAVE to have several hours of solitude a day, sort of like recharging my batteries. I love very quiet evenings at home with a book or a good foreign film on Netflix, and I really enjoy solitude in nature as well. I can be very happy for hours or even days alone - but eventually I need my people fix.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Does age play a part?
Now, age could be a reason to seek out groups...but also could be
a reason for being tired of them, too.

Do you avoid parties, art fairs, gallery openings, taking classes?
Or do you just love socializing.
Given a choice would u rather stay at home or accept an invitation to a gathering?

I am thrilled no one was having a party this Labor Day Weekend.
I take full days of purposely not seeing a human being now a days.

I meditated in a Yogananda group for 3 hours yesterday...I wished that there were
more than half the people not there...that's when I realized...
I think I'm weird!! LOL

I LIKE my peace and quiet. I deal with 'mobs' of people all day, every day, and home is my 'refuge'. Once I'm here I don't want to leave. After seven decades, yes, I'm over the socializing thing. If I'm not working I can spend days not seeing or talking to anyone, except my mom. IF I ever got an invitation to something, I MIGHT go and I MIGHT not. Depends on what it is and how interested I am in what's going on.

You're not "weird" and if you are so am I!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Sometimes "I vant to be alooone" and sometimes I don't. I'm a fairly strong introvert so my energy is gotten in my man-cave. But I am a software developer so I get PAID to be in my man-cave, 40 to 60 hours a week. The rest of the time I need some human contact. After my wife died the importance of this became pretty obvious to me. I met with an eclectic group of (mostly) men for coffee each morning, not necessarily because they were all that scintillating, but because back then it was the only in-person human contact I got most days and I needed that.

As for a connection with age, I don't know. I'd like to think I'm more BS free in my old age and don't put up with it so much in others (or at least am not impressed by it). But at the same time as the youngest in my family by far, I feel more and more alone in the world and am aware that I'll probably be the last one to turn out the lights. I don't expect my children to rally 'round me in my dotage. Unless my current wife manages to outlive me (and she insists her intuition is otherwise) I will die as I was born: alone. This awareness makes me value social contact more than I probably would on my own. And yet (!) there is also the fact that as I get older I'm more and more comfortable in my own skin and more and more at peace with the world, despite my generally jaundiced view of it.

So I declare it a wash -- I end up being about as (dis)interested in socializing as ever.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
I'm on the far end of the introversion spectrum. People are often unbearable to me. To function in society I've had to learn to put on a "mask" of sociability and have often been told that I'm a very affable, pleasant person to be around. It's all an act.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, right?
I have friends that want take trips with me all the time ( I happen to be very congenial and
flow very well....THEY THINK!) A dear friend of 3 decades wanted to pay for us
to fly to Calif to see her rich sister that overlooks Lindsey Lohan's patio... I said No, to
her dismay.....I knew I have a hard time taking her to the airport she is so bossy...
But, we are great buddies in short doses...

I can listen to my own CDs alone on a road trip...not THEIRS all the time.
Gosh, I love my own company!!

I think as I get older my priorities have changed.
The only issue I have with being a loner and an introvert is society's perception of people like me. Look no further than the creep thread I created the other day. We live in a society in which being quiet, introverted or socially awkward is still seen as a problem by many, yet people excuse bad human traits such as narcissism, bullying and stepping on other people's toes to get ahead. I don't get it and I don't want to get it either.

I just prefer my own company. I have no desire to fit in and I generally just want to be left alone. I have tried being social, but I find that I have little in common with others and I always feel lonely and more "weird" when around other people. Socializing to me is as stressful as work. In fact, the only thing that really stresses me out at work is being around other people. I work many weekends and I get 1,000 times more work done when I'm virtually alone in the office.

I do have friends, but not locally. Emailing & the odd phone call is all I need and all I want. I would not want to feel obligated to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology