Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 AM

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.

Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Hey, if you can earn money without actually doing any work, more power to you!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.

Yeah, grow the hell up. Man had to do some form of work for food and clothing and shelter since he showed up on this planet. And his tribes would usually get rid of a crybaby who wouldn't show up to work.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Play the lottery. Diligently. It is your only hope.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people to dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy.

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

You cannot "live your life" without some means of support. Unless you win the lottery, you will be a wage slave until you find someone else to "take care of you".

Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 AM

n/a posts
I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to. Pieces of metal and sheets of paper that I can't make, yet that I need to live? That's garbage. I don't accept.

My focus right now is on finding a wife.

Why doesn't the world just let me live my life and trust I'll contribute to it in my own way? Instead, why does it want to make me hungry, cold, and destitute if I don't do as it wants me to? Who is making those rules? And what makes him think he gets to?

Someone may die because of this. Me. Or someone.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,924 times
Calm down and take a deep breath.

While it would be nice if we could all lay around all day eating and copulating without worrying about where our food, clothing and shelter were coming from, that isn't the way the world works. Someone has to plant crops, raise livestock, cook, etc. so we can eat. Someone has to weave and sew so we have clothes to wear. Someone has to build houses so we have shelter.

The good news is, there are also plenty of people who make a living in other ways. Some people write about their thoughts, and sell those writings to others in the form of books, movie scripts, blogs or whatever. Maybe that is more your style.

You've got to find what works for you (no pun intended).

Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 17,104 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to. Pieces of metal and sheets of paper that I can't make, yet that I need to live? That's garbage. I don't accept.

My focus right now is on finding a wife.

Why doesn't the world just let me live my life and trust I'll contribute to it in my own way? Instead, why does it want to make me hungry, cold, and destitute if I don't do as it wants me to? Who is making those rules? And what makes him think he gets to?

Someone may die because of this. Me. Or someone.
Notsureifserious

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
Quote:

You can get a job doing these things that you mentioned here, though I think you would need to tone down your goal of curing cancer, eradicating homelessness etc. You can join an organization that works toward these things -- but no single person could ever eliminate them.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
1. I don't give a crap about money and I resent being forced to.

2. My focus right now is on finding a wife.

1. Nobody's forcing you to do anything. You have options even if you don't like what they may result in (homelessness, destitution, etc. etc.). Your choice and, honestly, nobody really cares what you opt for. You're an adult in a free country where you can choose your own path.

2. Good, find one wealthy enough to support you in the manner to which you'd like to become accustomed.

3. Unsolicited advice - find a good therapist. Anyone who goes to work with "tears streaming from" his face has some serious issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology