Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 07:47 AM

155 posts, read 52,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
From my perspective, it projects a lack of awareness or anger/sadness relative to frustration and loneliness. You’re associating hugs with attraction rather than as emotional support or a social greeting/goodbye relative to those we know and care about.

Per the thread, it’s common psychological knowledge sharing a hug (with those we are close to) reduces stress/conflict, heals negative feelings, conveys empathy/care and improves overall mental health and well-being.
Well, this cute, young woman likes hugging on me and none of the other uncles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 09:32 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,695,457 times
Hugging is more socially acceptable in most foreign countries that are not the US. You generally only hug relatives and closer friends in the US if it isn't a culture background of the respective person/people involved. There's usually a contextual understanding why someone is hugging, but there still could be the "ick" factor involved for some Americans.

There is an invisible dislike for physical touch of any kind which is more particular with Americans than most/all other cultures because a cheap, romantic/sexual feel is implied. Even if that is really the case, like so what. I mean, when I'm at concerts at a crowded venue, a few of my "acquainted peers" get annoyed about all the touching. I'm not going out of my way to try to be physical with these people, but if I'm trying to stay in one spot and we slightly bump into each other, well oh well. Most people don't get annoyed because they get it, but a few have gotten slightly annoyed and will just try to walk to another concert space area. It's rare, but I've had funny looks and I give a funny look back. The paranoia in the US is real, unfortunately. I think the US is not as warm emotionally as other countries overall in a nuanced kind of way.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:18 AM

2,092 posts, read 1,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Yes, enough with the phony hugging already. Get a teddy bear.

Besides my wife, the only person I don't mind getting a hug from is my nephew's wife ... but she's cute and she probably finds me attractive. I don't look for her to hug me, she comes at me. What can I say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
That I'm aware of what's going on.
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Sounds like you enjoy somewhat sexualized hugs, yet a hug for other reasons of support or caring toward a loved one not so much.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:33 AM

155 posts, read 52,229 times
There was a young woman Downtown one day holding a sign that said 'free hugs.' She was getting plenty of takers.

I thought it was odd ... but maybe it was for college or something.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:26 PM

8,729 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
There's usually a contextual understanding why someone is hugging, but there still could be the "ick" factor involved for some Americans.
Yeah, the ‘ick factor’ is relative to hugs that are one-sided or between acquaintances (as opposed to mutually-shared between friends and loved ones). Relative to the latter scenario, I’ve never heard of anyone who is against hugging, as a whole, except during the height of the pandemic.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the ‘ick factor’ is relative to hugs that are one-sided or between acquaintances (as opposed to mutually-shared between friends and loved ones). Relative to the latter scenario, I’ve never heard of anyone who is against hugging, as a whole, except during the height of the pandemic.
Anecdotal, perhaps, but I think you can divide (non-family) huggers into two categories...those for whom it's a casual, ordinary sign of friendly greeting and those who enjoy the occasional whiff of sexuality.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:32 PM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
I'm not at all a kissy face huggy bear type, but when ever my family leaves from my home once a week, we all hug good bye, including my grand daughter's boy friend....

But I'm not a hugger....with most people except really close friends that I've known for a long time...and haven't seen them for a while. It depends on the person....and how you were raised I suppose. ?

Old 04-28-2024, 02:48 PM

8,729 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Anecdotal, perhaps, but I think you can divide (non-family) huggers into two categories...those for whom it's a casual, ordinary sign of friendly greeting and those who enjoy the occasional whiff of sexuality.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you (and CalvinT). I don’t think a ‘whiff of sexuality’ within the context of a hug to convey empathy, concern, support (or to greet/part ways with a close friend) is in any way, shape or form ‘normal behavior’ or psychologically healthy. Rather, it’s abnormal psychology if one’s hugging behavior is controlled (for or against) by such.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:05 PM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you (and CalvinT). I don’t think a ‘whiff of sexuality’ within the context of a hug to convey empathy, concern, support (or to greet/part ways with a close friend) is in any way, shape or form ‘normal behavior’ or psychologically healthy. Rather, it’s abnormal psychology if one’s hugging behavior is controlled (for or against) by such.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Ummm, I was also disagreeing with CalvinT. I read in his post he enjoys that whiff and would be in that latter category.

I do not directly or indirectly enjoy hugs with that whiff. I am in the former category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology