Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 3,993,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Anecdotal, perhaps, but I think you can divide (non-family) huggers into two categories...those for whom it's a casual, ordinary sign of friendly greeting and those who enjoy the occasional whiff of sexuality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you (and CalvinT). I don’t think a ‘whiff of sexuality’ within the context of a hug to convey empathy, concern, support (or to greet/part ways with a close friend) is in any way, shape or form ‘normal behavior’ or psychologically healthy. Rather, it’s abnormal psychology if one’s hugging behavior is controlled (for or against) by such.
Quote:
Ummm, I was also disagreeing with CalvinT. I read in his post he enjoys that whiff and would be in that latter category.

I do not directly or indirectly enjoy hugs with that whiff. I am in the former category.
I still disagree with your post/perspective. You can’t divide huggers into two such categories as you’ve taken an ordinary, psychologically-healthy expression of friendship, empathy or comfort and split it into a second category representative of sexual/social dysfunction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 03:51 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,109,316 times
Quote:
I still disagree with your post/perspective. You can’t divide huggers into two such categories as you’ve taken an ordinary, psychologically-healthy expression of friendship, empathy or comfort and split it into a second category representative of sexual/social dysfunction.
You got it!

Old 04-28-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You got it!
Then their sexual or social perception/dysfunction is the problem, not the hug - particularly if they’re assuming such about their friends (relative to some sort of category) to accept or reject hugging, as a whole.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:02 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,109,316 times
Quote:
Then their sexual or social perception/dysfunction is the problem, not the hug - particularly if they’re assuming such about their friends (relative to some sort of category) to accept or reject hugging, as a whole.
Yes.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Some people are Huggers and some people aren't.
No big deal, one way or the other IMO.
I agree most don’t like to hug acquaintances or persons they don’t know well; it’s common sense, really. That said, do you think there are folks who are against hugging those they are close to, particularly relative to a greeting/goodbye, a time of loss or to convey love, joy or empathy.

When my ex lost our baby, many friends gave me a hug at that time to express their sympathy/concern. Is there anyone who would say ‘no, thanks, I’m just not a hugger’ in such a situation? What about in a wedding line or if a friend loses their mom or spouse? What if a close friend is moving across the country?

In other words, I think everyone is a hugger relative to an appropriate scenario with a loved one (provided they genuinely care and want to convey such).

Old 04-29-2024, 04:48 AM

245 posts, read 80,718 times
Quote:
How do you explain my nephew's wife only wanting to hug me and not the other uncles when we get together?
I know you have me on 'trial' here, but remember, I'm not initiating this. She probably has a little crush ... nobody is making it sexual except some posters here.

Last edited by CalvinT; 04-29-2024 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
How do you explain my nephew's wife only wanting to hug me and not the other uncles when we get together?
I know you have me on 'trial' here, but remember, I'm not initiating this. She probably has a little crush ... nobody is making it sexual except some posters here.
There is a huge distinction between knowing your nephew’s wife has a crush or interest in you vs. assuming she does relative to a hug and the sexual connotation you’ve (creepily) ascribed to it.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:56 AM

29,001 posts, read 30,423,456 times
For me, hugging in the work place is off limits....

had a boss who insisted on intentionally being overwhelming and intrusive in asking personal questions, copying the work of others, and boasting about himself....when he first started as leader of our group, I was warned that he'd try and hug me....so when he moved in, I just stretched out my arm and said, "I don't do hugs" and I believe he got the message.
I guess it depends on the person, but I am not a hugger to begin with...and if someone tries to force you to do so, you have every right to resist and stand your ground for your personal constitution.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
For me, hugging in the work place is off limits....
It’s inappropriate in a professional environment, as a whole; hugging is meant to be mutually shared between friends and loved ones. That said, again, specific scenarios (and how well you know someone) may dictate suitability in the workplace - such as grief or farewell parties.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:21 PM

29,001 posts, read 30,423,456 times
Quote:
From my perspective, it projects a lack of awareness or anger/sadness relative to frustration and loneliness. You’re associating hugs with attraction rather than as emotional support or a social greeting/goodbye relative to those we know and care about.

Per the thread, it’s common psychological knowledge sharing a hug (with those we are close to) reduces stress/conflict, heals negative feelings, conveys empathy/care and improves overall mental health and well-being.

yes, indeed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology