Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Happened all the time at a campus college bookstore where I used to live.
Always on you and different people working there every 3 minutes trying to deter theft.

College textbook prices were always an irritating thing to everyone.
Ugh, I remember those days. $125 for a book the professor insists you have from the first day then only refers to once in the entire term. Sell it back to the school, get $50 unless a new edition just came out, then you get zip. Hooray for selling on the internet lol

You'll figure out what you want or maybe you'll find out that what you want changes from day to day which can be frustrating but totally normal unless it's extreme flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
If that's what you think about bicyclists in general, then that's what I think of everybody back in CA as well. Good thing I left that state before things got out of control.

As for being told "f--- you", I've been told that an equal amount of times in my life that I don't even bother to fight back against it any more.

I don't run from fights, but I don't exactly win any either.
I also won't be a girl and seek medical treatment for a bruise later either.

Sometimes walking away and soaking up the pain is the best way to counter the negativity of others.

You guys are really helping me out here in seeing that after time, our actions and reactions will amount to either;
-Gratitude being exchanged for positive acceptance.

-Or people simply just walking away from what they perceive to be a problem after having learned their lessons several times.

Until then, my work and where it makes me live force me to accept that this is going to continue to happen whether I like it or not.

Even though no one here seems to like my idea of holding in any anger and "faking sincerity", that's about the only way I'm going to make things work.

Already enough fake people in the world, what's one more going to hurt?

This reminds me of the saying, "If everyone you meet is an a55h0le, then chances are, you're the a55h0le."

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This reminds me of the saying, "If everyone you meet is an a55h0le, then chances are, you're the a55h0le."
And this is why I only tend to speak to any body when I'm in a good mood or too out of energy to carry out any negativity.
If I'm sounding angry all the time, then that's wrong.

I just view myself "riding to work" as one of those guys playing golf and gets angry when someone makes a noise.
Catch me when I'm not riding my bike and just eating or in some store aisle and I could be the nicest person you'll ever meet.

I've just recently narrowed it down and figured recently that we all have a particular space where we don't want to be bothered in any way.

For some people, it's when they're tinkering around in their garage.

For others, it could be when they're studying for some class(the over-educated snobs I PMS about, them
I do appreciate for somehow managing to balance a FULL social life with a FULL course load.)

For me, it's when I'm engaging in any sort of physical activity where my mind becomes concentrated.
If I'm riding to work and have to get their on time, or if I'm actually at the gym and trying to get my workout done.
I'm sorry, but my brain just goes into some other mode where anything other than "thumbs-up" becomes an irritation.
This seems to be the only time people mistake for being a grouch.

So there we have it.
Physical activity makes me aggressive, being lazy/non-competitive makes me happy.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:45 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Once I can determine that the person who has approached me is not a creep/pretty much safe to talk to, I politely decline their offer of help.

Here's why:

I don't want them to receive a brusque rebuff from me, and then someone else later on may legitimately and desperately need "Good Sams" help, and they would be embittered by their experience with me and gun-shy about offering.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Quote:
So there we have it. Physical activity makes me aggressive, being lazy/non-competitive makes me happy.
Hey, makes sense! My buddy is the sweetest, tamest little thing in the world. Once she gets behind the wheel, you'd think she was possessed by the devil. Nice, happy person - angry, jerkhole driver lol

Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Hey, makes sense! My buddy is the sweetest, tamest little thing in the world. Once she gets behind the wheel, you'd think she was possessed by the devil. Nice, happy person - angry, jerkhole driver lol

Well, now that I've somewhat learned to at least tolerate the actions I listed in this thread, it's moved onto something else.

People telling me I should work out more apart from riding my bike and to get my weight back down.
Just this morning, one of the old guys I usually see at work has the nerve to tell me to cut back on the food and not get fat.
In my mind I was like, "Not you too!?!?!"

The madness just never seems to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology