Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

I would party. I would give-up my healthy eating habits and pig-out like there is no tomorrow. I guess there would be no tomorrow for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm perfectly healthy and going to die in 17 hours? Or am I in a hospital bed and wheezing on machines and it will be 17 hours before it is over?
That occurred to me to. I'm old and if I were in terrible shape with illness, I think I would be quite pleased to know I was going to die. I have one friend and his wife that I would like to be with me.

If it were to be tomorrow that I got this news, and I am in relatively good health. I'm sure it would not be welcome news then. But I think I'd spend a lot of the day alone with music and then go to some of the beautiful spots around here that I love, and finally go home and lie down to die. I like my home - it is a very comfortable, very me place, and I would just as soon see the end there as anywhere else. I do not believe in an afterlife, so trying to work out a last minute deal about that wouldn't come into the picture.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I don't even want to think about dying, but since you asked...

Not many people would even care if I was gone. I don't really have friends...just my parents, significant other, & pal who's more than just an acquaintance, yet not considered a close friend, so they're all I'd care to know.

I'd go on a day trip to a nice city: Maybe San Fransisco, San Diego, I guess & try to enjoy myself.

Order all my favorite foods: Pizza, Chinese, & more & have some of each.

Maybe watch a movie I like that I haven't seen in a long time.

I wouldn't even know where to turn.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM

327 posts, read 774,620 times
I'd spend it with my beautiful wife and kids. I'd play catch with my dog. And go for one last run. I'd call my mom and dad, but wouldn't say anything to anyone assuming they didn't know. And since 17 hours probably means that one would get a full day, go to sleep, and not wake up, I'd try to make it the perfect day for my family. And before my wife and kids go to sleep, I'd try to make them realize how much they mean to me and how much I love them.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I wouldn't tell anyone. I would just show love. The last thing a dying person needs is a bunch of crying family members depressing you even more.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
I would call one person. Just so I can say good-bye and I love you. The rest, sadly, don't matter as much. Then I'd make sure my dogs were rehomed. Then I'd do the letter thing and get them in the mail. Clean up my computer, close accounts, destroy everything. And if I still have some time, go for a drive, go outside, and enjoy the world one last time.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'd spend as much of that time as possible in bed with the love of my life. Might as well die with a smile on my face!!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
I wouldnt tell anyone, I would however cut the grass and trim the edges so I could leave one last time an HOA approved lawn.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I would call my children and wife on the phone. I would not allude to impending death. Instead, I would talk about bright and cheery things that would make all of us happy. I would reflect with each one, individually, on all the good times we have had together. Lastly, and most importantly, I would tell them all I loved them and what they meant to me.

Than after getting off the phone, I would write one letter, meant for my wife and children. In that letter, I would address my death. I would explain why it happened. I would tell them that I didn't mention it on the phone because I wanted our last conversation together to be a happy one. I would probably address areas in my children's lives in which I would hope they could improve. I would encourage my family to spend as little on my funeral and cremation arrangements as they could. I would emphasize that I would hope they would spend as little time mourning me as possible and instead do things that would benefit themselves in the long run, knowing that would make me the happiest. I know this would inevitably produce some sadness in my family. I think I would say quite clearly that all of us die--and they are not immune either--so, I want them to get on with their own lives. I would emphasize that my own life had been a full one and that I felt I had accomplished what I had needed too. Perhaps, I would say if they feel there is something "unfair" about this I would gently remind them that life isn't always fair. We just have to make the best we can of it.

I would than turn to my own needs. If I felt I had time, I might also get a big, greasy cheeseburger or some other food that I enjoy and eat that. I have always enjoyed hiking and if physically able, would spend the last hours of my life hiking in trails in the mountains that surround my home. I would try to focus on all the good memories that I have.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Forget it. I would call no one. I would go on a long hike in Glacier Park...breathe fresh air, see animals, enjoy nature. Have a fine dinner at the lodge, with a very expensive bottle of wine, and call it a day.

No one needs a death scene phone call. How morbid, and depressing.
Yeah, I can go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Spend it with my family.
I don't know...I might prefer to be selfish. Although it is most likely what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd probably catch up on some sleep
Barring any pain, hospitals and IV's running a morphine drip, preferably this would be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I would find a forever home for my best buddy Scooter who has always been by my side thru life struggles. AKA my dog!! Everybody else can just wonder what happened to me!
This would likely be long before the 17 hour line of demarcation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would not burden anyone with my death. I would sit down and write thank-you letters to everyone I ever loved or who did something nice for me. You can't take your life with you when you die, it stays here for those people to continue to enjoy!
OR, whoever loved me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
No one. I'd write a long note for each person I care about, remembering our good times and thanking them for being in my life. Then I'd take the rest of my time to sit back and unwind one final time.
Yeah, I love this one as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
<snip> I would apologize for a couple of things and let everyone know that I hold no grudges.
I would prefer this be done in writing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhampton View Post
I would contact Jesus and say please forgive me my wrong doing.
First and last words spoken, if I was still able to do so!

Loved each and everyone of these, sincerely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology