Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and while I'm happy with where I am now, I do have a few regrets that touch on that list. All I can do from now on is make wise and fun choices! To the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM

256 posts, read 480,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Though not particularly surprising, an interesting read nevertheless.

The Top 5 Regrets of The Dying | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
So to summarize: I regret conforming to societal rules and not having the courage to be myself.
I think many people will have this regret. It is hard to swim against the current.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
So to summarize: I regret conforming to societal rules and not having the courage to be myself.
I think many people will have this regret. It is hard to swim against the current.
This is something I worry about. I wanted to drive a city bus or train as a job but instead became a CPA. I think my dad would be disappointed if I quit my job and drove a city bus - so, I continue to go to my current job. I like my work, but I always wonder if I will regret not doing something I really wanted to do just because it would have disappointed people in my family.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
( lyrics from an old CW song)........." I don't want my life to live over. I'd find a new way to make the same mistakes "

Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM

I will answer with partial lyrics from "Life for rent" by Dido

If my life is for rent and I don't learn to buy
Well, I deserve nothing more than I get
'Cause nothing I have is truly mine

While my heart is a shield and I won't let it down
While I am so afraid to fail so I won't even try
Well, how can I say I'm alive

Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
This is something I worry about. I wanted to drive a city bus or train as a job but instead became a CPA. I think my dad would be disappointed if I quit my job and drove a city bus - so, I continue to go to my current job. I like my work, but I always wonder if I will regret not doing something I really wanted to do just because it would have disappointed people in my family.
We are brought up by our parents and society to fit into their "box", i.e. expectations, customs, traditions, culture, gender identity, etc. just to name a few.
It is done with best intentions of course, and our parents worry too what would "people say" about them and their offspring. I've met very few older adults who later in life were able to acknowledge that restricting their child, and bending him/her into a "form" they wanted, was the main cause for their child's unhappiness. Majority of people are still worrying about what would so-and-so say

KC_Sleuth, have you tried to ride a city bus where you live? How about a train?
I would go for rides if I were you. See if desire to drive will still be there after a few hours or days.
This exercise may answer your question about whether or not you have something to regret

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
being happier is a big one
I'm working on it

Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
We are brought up by our parents and society to fit into their "box", i.e. expectations, customs, traditions, culture, gender identity, etc. just to name a few.
It is done with best intentions of course, and our parents worry too what would "people say" about them and their offspring. I've met very few older adults who later in life were able to acknowledge that restricting their child, and bending him/her into a "form" they wanted, was the main cause for their child's unhappiness. Majority of people are still worrying about what would so-and-so say
)

Thank GOD I was raised by parents who stressed individuality and self expression, adventure, etc. I am sure that I gave that same legacy to my own kids. None of us has ever been afraid to "march to the beat of a different drummer." I am so grateful for that legacy, which I can trace directly to both my non conformist parents - who can trace it to THEIR non conformist parents...on down the line.

NO REGRETS, BABY! Actually I do have one regret but I've already apologized to my kids for it and I think we're all good. If I died tomorrow, I'd die happy and pretty much guilt free.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank GOD I was raised by parents who stressed individuality and self expression, adventure, etc. I am sure that I gave that same legacy to my own kids. None of us has ever been afraid to "march to the beat of a different drummer." I am so grateful for that legacy, which I can trace directly to both my non conformist parents - who can trace it to THEIR non conformist parents...on down the line.

NO REGRETS, BABY! Actually I do have one regret but I've already apologized to my kids for it and I think we're all good. If I died tomorrow, I'd die happy and pretty much guilt free.
You are now in control of your life. You see, the ego is never in control. The ego is controlled by wishes for comfort and convenience on the part of the body, by demands of the mind, and by outbursts of the emotions. But the higher nature controls the body and the mind and the emotions. I can say to my body, "Lie down there on that cement floor and go to sleep," and it obeys. I can say to my mind, "Shut out everything else and concentrate on this job before you," and it's obedient. I can say to my emotions, "Be still, even in the face of this terrible situation," and they are still. It's a different way of living. The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer--the higher nature instead of the lower. - Peace Pilgrim

Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
When my dad retired, he drove a school bus for a few years, so there is still hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology