Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

Not always, but sometimes, I wake up with a song going through my head. What is baffling is that sometimes it isn't a song I even like or is very obscure. I could understand it if it was one I listened to recently, or liked, but where does this off the wall song even come from ? After I am up for a while it goes away as I get involved with other things for the day, but for a little while I find it going around and around in my head. It doesn't annoy me, but just makes me wonder about it.

Anyone else have this happen ?

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Yes

I don't know enough about this subject to explain this. To me it sounds similar to doodling. Usually we are thinking about something else when we sing a random song out loud or in our heads. In a sense it's like dreams many are related to current events but once in a while we dream about people we haven't seen in years and don't even care about. We usually sing songs we heard on the radio recently but sometimes come up with a wierd song we haven't heard in years.

I don't know enough about brain fuctions and science to explain this but this is my guess: I think these memories (drawing, remembering tunes or lyrics) are in some part of the brain where automatic motor memories are stored (like driving, typing) I say this because we can stop doing those activities for years and we usually remember them very easily. It seems to me that using this part of the brain(the automatic functions) allows using other parts of the brain more effectivily (those that require more attention and analysis)

I found this in wikipedia about doodling:

"doodling can aid a person's memory by expending just enough energy to keep one from daydreaming, which demands a lot of the brain's processing power, as well as from not paying attention. Thus, it acts as a mediator between the spectrum of thinking too much or thinking too little and helps focus on the current situation."

I also read somewhere that music reduces cognitive dissonance. So it seems to me that these automatic behaviors are just a way to keep ourselves focused but that's just my unscientific guess

Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM

196 posts, read 424,437 times
Yup, had this exact experience yesterday.

Knocking a few things off the "honey-do" list around the house and had "One Tin Soldier" by the Original Caste stuck in my head. Not only do I HATE that song, I couldn't tell you the last time I actually heard it.

I think this comes from two places:
- You have a head for song lyrics (and likely useless trivia), and you hear a phrase (in my case possibly "I hate my neighbour") which triggers your mental music rolodex to fire up
- You have a job which is mentally taxing. When you're now engaged in a mentally non-taxing activity, the analytical part of your brain just kicks onto autopilot, and some sort of background noise pops up

Heck, shot an awesome round of golf one day with "Ambulance" by My Chemical Romance going in my head the entire round. It was like some sort of Zen.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Yes, I experience this constantly. I can wake up and some random song from the 1970s that I do not even like, and have not heard in 20 years will be looping in my head. I jokingly told my husband that my brain must be picking up on obscure radio waves floating through the air while I sleep.

Sometimes he will start signing some really annoying repetitive song out loud on purpose because he knows I will be singing it in my head for hours. He gets a kick out of annoying me like that

Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM

196 posts, read 424,437 times
^^^ It's what we do.

"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga is enough to drive anyone in my family insane.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Glad to hear others have the same thing going on. If it were songs I liked or knew it would be one thing, but I get these songs that I absolutely hate and ones I haven't heard in years running around in my brain when I get out of bed in the morning. I don't even know all the words, so some parts are like "da da da, da da da."

There must be some part of the brain that has these things stored and they come out when you are asleep.

Don

Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I seem to be very suseptible to getting a song stuck in my head once I hear it. The worst part is I work in a nursing home, and there are activities right outside my department door....can't tell you how many times I have been in the supermarket hours later with "She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes" or "Show me the way to go home" spinning around in my head.
I heard once that the Go-Go's "Vacation" erases songs stuck in your head.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not always, but sometimes, I wake up with a song going through my head. What is baffling is that sometimes it isn't a song I even like or is very obscure. I could understand it if it was one I listened to recently, or liked, but where does this off the wall song even come from ? After I am up for a while it goes away as I get involved with other things for the day, but for a little while I find it going around and around in my head. It doesn't annoy me, but just makes me wonder about it.

Don
My theory: When you have a song stuck in your head that you "dont like" what's happening is that your body and heart actually LIKE the song, but your brain shuns the song for reasons that might be logically based and there's a conflict going on in your head.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Fact. The subconscious mind of man can play in your head any of the songs you've ever heard of. Even those who have heard, but did not realize you had heard. It may also be the ability for music. You can follow any responses to compose music. There is a myth that Mendeleev his periodical table saw in a dream. I make music. Sometimes I compose music that is there. I thought it was new, but it has already invented before me.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM

455 posts, read 898,368 times
I have this experience every single morning. By the time I've gotten out of bed and get to the bathroom, there is a song stuck in my head that I either haven't heard in years, heard once, hate, love or am ambivalent about... there isn't really a pattern beyond the fact that it's every morning, and it's ridiculously clear in my head.
Sometimes the songs continue well into the day if I have nothing major going on.

Once, I heard a song during the evening that I really liked, and I made the mistake of listening to it several times in a row. It was stuck in my head for two weeks straight. I could never bring myself to listen to it again.

This is a curse because, more often than not, it's a really horrible song. And even if it's good, it wears on me because it stays longer.
I don't know the psychology behind it, but if there's any correlation here, I'm a life-long musician and play music strictly by ear and without any effort at all. Maybe my brain is just wired that way. I grew up in a household full of musicians, and we were always jamming. I was always trying to play along before I could even read, so perhaps I just got wired that way after a while.
I'm sure it's a natural human ability, but I think I may have screwed myself by developing it from a very young age.

I say "screwed myself" because when you wake up in the morning to a repeating New Kids On The Block song in your head and you're 32 years old, something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology