Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

My child was a toddler, age 2, maybe 2 and a half, when her grandmother had a salon give my child a perm. Two posters in this thread have called me a liar, because they have no idea what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My child was a toddler, age 2, maybe 2 and a half, when her grandmother had a salon give my child a perm. Two posters in this thread have called me a liar, because they have no idea what they are talking about.
What did you do? Just curious! I mean did you call her out? Tell her WTF? Call the salon? Anything? I sure would have, my child probably wouldn't ever be allowed to be alone with grandma after that...

Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
What did you do? Just curious! I mean did you call her out? Tell her WTF? Call the salon? Anything? I sure would have, my child probably wouldn't ever be allowed to be alone with grandma after that...
Looking back on it, I think had I been older I would have told her off, but, my husband was begging me to come on and leave. Both our mothers tried to control us and for a longtime, we dealt with it by living several miles away. His mother was the sister of a powerful politician in the state and she carried a big stick in our small town. My husband and I were young and dumb.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat42207 View Post
Yes, I agree I shouldn't of made a big deal of it. I was young and just didn't know how to deal with it. If it happened now I would be able to laugh and say " no, I'm just fat"
Good for you!

My extended family is bad like this. My mom taught me that the minute my uncles enter the house, try to think of one thing nice to say to them and one thing mean because they are dishing it.

I do want to caution you that I have known people who have been left speechless by me not realizing that they have said less than nice things about other people.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i had a case of mistaken identity, this woman thought i was someone else, an old boyfriend,,,,
she gave me a hug and whispered "i'll never forget the night we had at the lighthouse"

she was attractive and smiling,,,,outside of a store at dusk.. I didnt know what to say, the little male voice said-quick, give her a kiss.. before she realizes she made a mistake...
but i just smiled,,, and finally said-it was a night to remember... and started to tell her i wasnt her guy- she leaned in hugged me and gave me a quick kiss, and told me to call her sometime,,and left..

Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
[quote=Rubi3;31665786]Looking back on it, I think had I been older I would have told her off, but, my husband was begging me to come on and leave. Both our mothers tried to control us and for a longtime, we dealt with it by living several miles away. His mother was the sister of a powerful politician in the state and she carried a big stick in our small town. My husband and I were young and dumb. [/quote]

Well, I was young and dumb when I stood up to family members regarding our child. I guess I could have done it differently. It is still being felt till this day, which is years later.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM

91 posts, read 402,064 times
she was obviously just drunk/on some sort of high/drug..

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i had a case of mistaken identity, this woman thought i was someone else, an old boyfriend,,,,
she gave me a hug and whispered "i'll never forget the night we had at the lighthouse"

she was attractive and smiling,,,,outside of a store at dusk.. I didnt know what to say, the little male voice said-quick, give her a kiss.. before she realizes she made a mistake...
but i just smiled,,, and finally said-it was a night to remember... and started to tell her i wasnt her guy- she leaned in hugged me and gave me a quick kiss, and told me to call her sometime,,and left..
Maybe it was a ruse to get your number!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat42207 View Post
Have you ever had some one say something to you that left you speechless, flabbergasted?
It happened to me a while ago.
I was meeting my sister's future in-laws. We were out at some restaurant standing around talking. As I was talking to one sister-in-law to be she kept talking like she thought I was pregnant! I wasn't, just a bit chunky. I didn't say anything. Then another person was staring down at my middle section and started to talk like I was pregnant too! I was flabbergasted. I didn't know what to say. I was hurt, humiliated and upset. I just walked out and sat in the car to wait for my husband. Has something like this ever happened to you?
Of course, I have. If I'm speechless though, it's because I know with every fiber of my being, that what I want to say BACK to them, would be equally inappropriate. That "speechlessness" is generally due to the firm grip I have on my tongue...with my teeth. To be honest with you though, there have been many times, when the teeth lost the battle and I walked away with mixed feelings ... vindicated/ overjoyed/ashamed (at the lack of self control).

After having our first child, by emergency c-section, we stopped by a friend's house. This particular friend was our son's godfather and our "best" friend. Another fisherman stopped by his house, shortly after we arrived. He saw the new baby and said, "Whose kid is THIS?" Hubby and I both said, "It's ours. We just came from the hospital." He looked at me with a bewildered look on his face and something along the lines of "You look like you got another one in there." Seriously, I can't remember word for word anymore, what he said....but you get the idea. Yes....SLAP!!!! speechless, but only for a minute. It was probably the longest .....silent......minute.......that anyone in that room had ever experienced.

Oh yeah.....words were said, by all three of us and he walked out the door with his tail between his legs. Dumb a$$.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I was left speechless just a few weeks ago, when I was at church without my husband (he works out of town a lot). Anyway, I got up after the service and found that my way was blocked by a man I don't know at all, but I've seen him sitting alone in church a few times. Anyway, he is Hispanic and has a very pronounced accent, so at first when he started talking to me, I honestly couldn't understand what he was saying, so I said, "I'm sorry - can you please repeat that?" He leaned very close to me, definitely in my personal space, smiled at me and said, "Do you like horses?"

What? Random! No wonder I couldn't understand him at first - this was such a random question, and coupled with the fact that he was blocking my exit and leaning in very close to me - I was so disconcerted that my mind went completely blank. Finally I just stammered and said, "Well...well, no...I'm scared of horses."

Then he really threw me for a loop. He leaned even closer and looked right into my eyes very intensely and said, "Ohhhh, for you I would make them be VERY GENTLE."

What???

I honestly had no idea what to say. I am sure I was standing there looking like a complete goober as my mind searched for some sort of context, some sort of response. After what seemed like an eternity, a friend of mine walked up and just started talking to me and I was able to re enter the world of normal conversation!

AWKWARD! I got out to the car and burst out laughing - but I also felt sort of sorry for the guy too. I hope he wasn't embarrassed...but I just honestly had no idea what to say. Why was he asking me this? What was it about me that made him think I might be remotely interested in horses? I can't even remember the last time I even THOUGHT about horses! I don't even know this guy's name anyway.

It was really funny after I got over my perplexity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology