Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

I've dated a guy who had suffered severe depression and eventually took his life. I also have a family member who suffers from severe depression and thought about killing herself. These two people were/are both deeply religious folks.

According to numerous of studies, several factors might contribute to depression.

Nutrient deficiency / Drug addiction / Hormonal imbalance / past traumatic personal experiences / psychological factors / heavy metals / Brain chemical imbalance

Another study concluded that virtually all depressed people have a significant decrease in the frontal lobe’s blood flow and activity. (sorry cannot really remember the source)

Many religious people believe that one can overcome depression just by having faith. My own interpretation to that statement is that one can overcome depression Biblically.

I wonder if they (religious people) believe depression is primarily spiritually induced. If that is the case, then people should not get better from therapy or medications.

Do you believe one can overcome depression naturally? Do you believe one can overcome depression Bibically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
lily, I think it really depends on the kind of depression a person is suffering from.

"the blues" kind of depression isn't a medical condition so much as it's a social condition - a relationship breaks up, a grandparent dies, etc.

This kind of depression can be helped "biblically", or just through faith.

But major depression - suicidal thoughts especially - is a medical condition.

And all medical conditions require treatment by a combination of medications, physicians and therapies.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
lily, I think it really depends on the kind of depression a person is suffering from.

"the blues" kind of depression isn't a medical condition so much as it's a social condition - a relationship breaks up, a grandparent dies, etc.

This kind of depression can be helped "biblically", or just through faith.

But major depression - suicidal thoughts especially - is a medical condition.

And all medical conditions require treatment by a combination of medications, physicians and therapies.
Major depressive disorder (MDD) (also known as clinical depression, major depression, unipolar depression, or unipolar disorder; or as recurrent depression in the case of repeated episodes) is a mental disorder characterized by a pervasive and persistent low mood which is accompanied by low self-esteem and by a loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Major depressive disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for this type of depression, I do wonder if one can actually be helped by faith alone.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Major depressive disorder (MDD) (also known as clinical depression, major depression, unipolar depression, or unipolar disorder; or as recurrent depression in the case of repeated episodes) is a mental disorder characterized by a pervasive and persistent low mood which is accompanied by low self-esteem and by a loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Major depressive disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for this type of depression, I do wonder if one can actually be helped by faith alone.
No i believe and from the guys who i mentor who have issues like this, is that faith, meds, are just a few tools needed to battle theses types of disorders, often therapy is helpful and healthy exercise and eating. Its a disability that needs to be treatted with various therapys.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
No i believe and from the guys who i mentor who have issues like this, is that faith, meds, are just a few tools needed to battle theses types of disorders, often therapy is helpful and healthy exercise and eating. Its a disability that needs to be treatted with various therapys.
It sounds right to me.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
It sounds right to me.
From what im told whats so terrible about these disorders is that it attacks your will power. I know guys who are aware of whats going on and want and know what to do to change but just can't muster the willpower to take action.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
I've dated a guy who had suffered severe depression and eventually took his life. I also have a family member who suffers from severe depression and thought about killing herself. These two people were/are both deeply religious folks.

According to numerous of studies, several factors might contribute to depression.

Nutrient deficiency / Drug addiction / Hormonal imbalance / past traumatic personal experiences / psychological factors / heavy metals / Brain chemical imbalance

Another study concluded that virtually all depressed people have a significant decrease in the frontal lobe’s blood flow and activity. (sorry cannot really remember the source)

Many religious people believe that one can overcome depression just by having faith. My own interpretation to that statement is that one can overcome depression Biblically.

I wonder if they (religious people) believe depression is primarily spiritually induced. If that is the case, then people should not get better from therapy or medications.

Do you believe one can overcome depression naturally? Do you believe one can overcome depression Bibically?
If it makes sense the person and makes them happy with undue harm to self and others, then yes, I think depression can be cured if someone's religious and finds faith through practice.

I personally cannot see how the bible is the only curative Rx for depression. How about the Veydas? Jewish scriptures? Book of the Dead?

By "healing depression Biblically" I hope that's also not a way to discount other religions.

In general, if religion helps some then cool. I personally am not religious and find it stunts my own personal growth, because I like to question and do not like to be told not to. Often times, most religions do require a level of faith without question. And, the only religion I find that encourages questioning from all angles is Buddhism, but even then I dislike tradition/religion, and being raised Catholic? I can vouch to say played a huge part of my depression.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:35 AM

196 posts, read 424,328 times
As someone who suffers from MDD, and who is also a Christian, my answer is no. I'm assuming the OP is referring to MDD when they state "depression" - like lovesMountains pointed out, faith is there for those down times when you're dispirited, not for major psychological issues.

In fact, I have a very strong issue with a number of people I know from a Charismatic/Evangelical congregation who try and pray away things like depression and cancer. There's even some mysticism as to the origins of these things (i.e. demonic possession). This does not help the person - if anything you could say these well-meaning people are making the issue worse by delaying treatment for the individual.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
"Reactive Depression" is the result of an event, or series of events that effects one's moods/attitude.

"Clinical Depression" is the result of chemical imbalance in the brain, and only medication can be an aid in relieving the symptoms. And as we know, it can take quite some time to find the right med/dosage, and many patients give up due to the adverse side effects and not getting immediate relief.

Would reading the Bible and having faith actually cure clinical depression? I don't have all the answers regarding faith and physical healing, but if it would work for anyone, that would truly be a wonderful miracle.

Too many people nowadays freak out at the first sign of 'reactive depression' and want anti-depressant drugs instead of taking some time to sort out what is causing their negative emotions and putting things into perspective, and solving those issues.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Yes, and also Koranically and Laotzuically and Upanishdically and Zennically and Scientologically and Voodooically and Stonehengically, if you believe in them to be spiritually uplifting..

They may or may not cure depression, depending on whether the present symptoms of depression are systemic or experiential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology