Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

I have been so depressed lately I need one of these magic pills! Who prescribes this a regular doctor or do I need to go to a psychiatrist. I went to one neurologist who also is a psychiatrist all she gave was Cymbalta. I see no change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
What is your opinion about antidepressants? This is not a thread about medical advice, but to share people's experience with these drugs.

I take 10 mg of Celexa. For the most part, it works. I can tell the difference when I am not on an antidepressant.
Then stay the course, see your doctor regularly, and monitor your condition. It would help to have a Wellness Recovery Action Plan, and you can find one here....

Wellness Recovery Action Plan - Mary Ellen Copeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Many times, those with 'clinical depression' (not reactive depression) have so much trouble with the side effects they will stop taking their meds.
Change form.

Often....but not always....the side-effects are caused by the fillers/binders used. There are liquid alternatives for some anti-depressants --- that is it's an oral solution usually 20 mg per 5 mL --- which obviously do not use the fillers/binders, and that may eliminate the side-effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't know the OPs situation but to me it seems like people consider them a quick fix to their problems, legally getting stoned/numbed.
Uh-huh....well, it seems to me that people not versed in the subject matter should refrain from discussion, lest they look like the Fools™ that they are.

No one is "legally getting stoned/numbed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This would not apply to people with clinical depression....I guess my drug of choice for feeling depressed is God since I couldn't make it make it a day without God in my life and withdrawal from God would be, well, require drugs of strength they have yet to discover.
Doesn't apply to people with clinical depression? Why not? Does god have some special hatred for them, just as god hates midgets and men with one testicle and so on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I have been so depressed lately I need one of these magic pills!
Then buy a box of chocolates. Never fails to amaze me how people think this is some kind of joke or something.

Opining...

Mircea

Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM

458 posts, read 611,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
I believe in God, and I have also been diagnosed with BiPolar. To those saying they believe in God, you don't know what it is to have a mental illness. It's not anything you can help anymore than someone can excercise cancer away. You have to have treatments to be healed. Same goes for the brain. It's an organ just like your heart. I don't see people with high blood pressure and people with diabetes not taking their meds. Because they need them. After 4 years, I've FINALLY RECENTLY accepted that I'll have to be on meds for the rest of my life. And that's okay with me. I still have a relationship with God, as that will NEVER change.
I accepted Christ at age 7. Out of the 10 children my grandmother birthed 5 suffers/suffered mental illness including my mother. In college, I strayed deeply from my spiritual roots in rebellion and wildness and was eventually diagnosed as Bi-polar and prescribed medication that I was warned I better not stop suddenly, I'd have to be weaned. Considering my mothers extreme struggles yet not wanting to live my life dependant on medication, I set aside a moment to cry out to God that I wanted to rely on Him and not a drug. I stopped, SUDDENLY and did much better off the medication from that point on than I was on it. That prayer and subsequent getting back in the Word, repenting from my rebellion etc. saw me a woman with soul peace.

That's my story for that time in my life. I'm not against medication by any means if it's neccesary than take it, I would! But I've been healed of that depression and bi-polar whatever. Every path is different, every story is different but, I know God

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse
I don't know the OPs situation but to me it seems like people consider them a quick fix to their problems, legally getting stoned/numbed
???
You don't get "stoned" from antidepressants. If you're looking for a high, there are easier ways to go about it.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse
This would not apply to people with clinical depression....I guess my drug of choice for feeling depressed is God since I couldn't make it make it a day without God in my life and withdrawal from God would be, well, require drugs of strength they have yet to discover
A clinical depresion is an illness, and a terrible one at that. Praying for succor would be pretty pointless. If you had cancer, would you be pro-active, or just try to pray it away?
(Let me know where to send the wreath)

Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I think they can work but it depends on the person. Personally the side effects were worse then the cure so I stopped taking them. However I knew people who take them and they do help.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Insulin is a good thing. Prozac is a good thing. It's entirely possible God inspired man to "discover" them. Why does it have to be one way or the other?

Reminds me of that joke where a man is sitting on top of his house in a flood. Someone comes by in a boat and asks the man if he wants help. The man says, no, God will save me.

Then a helicopter comes and asks the man to grab the rope so he can be saved. The man says, no thanks, God will save me.

The waters rise, and the man dies. When facing God in Heaven, the man asks God why He didn't save him. God says, I sent you a boat and a helicopter!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
Man is God's agent for good or evil.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Antidepressants worked for me. I suffered from chronic mild depression from the time I was 10 years old, with occasional episodes of major depression when I was under stress. I take 10 mg. of Prozac (half the typical dose) and have had no side effects at all other than a mild reduction of sexual desire which passed after a few weeks. Because of the medication, I am now able to function without that black cloud of sadness and hopelessness that was so much a part of who I was before that I didn't even realize it was there.

That said, antidepressants are not a "magic pill," and as others have noted, they are not a psychoactive substance that gets you high. It can take several weeks to notice any improvement after you begin taking them. Not everyone responds the same way to every medication, so it may require several trials of different ADs to find the one that is effective for you. Also, ADs are not appropriate for everyone. Some people do just fine with some form of social support such as counseling or psychotherapy.

I truly believe that chronic depression affects the brain chemistry and that ADs can correct that imbalance. I see no shame in taking an antidepressant any more than I would feel shame for taking insulin if I were a diabetic.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Antidepressants worked for me. I suffered from chronic mild depression from the time I was 10 years old, with occasional episodes of major depression when I was under stress. I take 10 mg. of Prozac (half the typical dose) and have had no side effects at all other than a mild reduction of sexual desire which passed after a few weeks. Because of the medication, I am now able to function without that black cloud of sadness and hopelessness that was so much a part of who I was before that I didn't even realize it was there.

That said, antidepressants are not a "magic pill," and as others have noted, they are not a psychoactive substance that gets you high. It can take several weeks to notice any improvement after you begin taking them. Not everyone responds the same way to every medication, so it may require several trials of different ADs to find the one that is effective for you. Also, ADs are not appropriate for everyone. Some people do just fine with some form of social support such as counseling or psychotherapy.

I truly believe that chronic depression affects the brain chemistry and that ADs can correct that imbalance. I see no shame in taking an antidepressant any more than I would feel shame for taking insulin if I were a diabetic.
An absolutely superb post..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology