Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times

Advertisements

Because I started as a teenager to be rebellious. Because cigarettes are as addictive as heroine or crack.

I am currently smoke-free, but I could easily pick up a pack right now and instantly turn into a pack a day chain smoker before I even finish this sentence. I am craving a cigarette just typing this. The craving may never go away.

I think cigarettes are dirty, unattractive and they stink when I smell smoke on other people, but that would not stop me.

Last edited by L0ve; 10-19-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Because I started as a teenager to be rebellious. Because cigarettes are as addictive as heroine or crack.

I am currently smoke-free, but I could easily pick up a pack right now and instantly turn into a pack a day chain smoker before I even finish this sentence. I am craving a cigarette just typing this. The craving may never go away.

I think cigarettes are dirty, unattractive and they stink when I smell smoke on other people, but that would not stop me.
Kudos to you for being smoke free. My addiction is debatable. I consider myself a food addict. I can eat even though I'm not hungry. It's horrible because I'm not the best at working out.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Can you explain how your smoking "put over on your father?"

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
In my adolescent mind, I was getting one over on him by 1-stealing his cigarettes and 2-by him not figuring out that I was smoking.
I never said it was smart.
But how many of us had wisdom at age 17? If I had,I never would have started smoking.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;31778654]It has more to do with belonging and being accepted, at least in the beginning. I started smoking as a teenager. The 'nice' kids didn't accept me socially, but the kids who smoked cigarettes and were also outcasts in other ways let me into their circle. Smoking was something that bound us together. Even years later, as an adult in the business world, there was a sense of camaraderie amongst those of us who smoked.

I've quit, but I do sometimes miss that social bonding time that having a cig with another smoker brought.[/quote]

I notice this at work. The smokers congregate in their "area", talk, joke and have fun. The ones who spend their breaks and lunches in the employee lounge all sit alone, read, etc. instead of talking to others who are there. It's verrrry quiet in the lounge, all the time.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

Mine is gone. I don't crave nicotine, and that just amazes me.

But if I picked up a cigarette and smoked it, I'd be right back into it, same as you.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
People still smoke because either they're addicted (and wish they could quit) or they just enjoy smoking. So what?

We could make a list of many things people do and then ask 'why'.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
People still smoke because either they're addicted (and wish they could quit) or they just enjoy smoking. So what?

This.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
I was a social smoker, when I went out drinking, I always had cigarettes with me. When I met the lady who would become my wife, I decided to quit because she didn't smoke. I bought two packages of cigarettes and was going to wean myself off slowly and be done smoking by the time the two packs were gone..
That was 30 years ago, and I still have the second, unopened package in the closet, and still married to the same lady.!!
If you know if anyone who would like to buy a new, unopened package of cigarettes, let me know.
It was easy for me to quit smoking, drinking, smoking weed, drinking coffee, none of those things were any problem to quit and never look back. My only bad habit I can't kick, is my salt shaker...!!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
I once saw an interesting demonstration that illiterates what smoking can do to you. I was taking an automotive class at the local college to get my smog license. The instructor said he was going to show us what a good filter the human lungs are. He took the probe of the smog machine, the one that goes up the cars tailpipe to measure emissions, took a drag off of a cigarette but didn't inhale, and put the probe in his mouth. The machine went crazy with a very high reading. He then took another drag and this time inhaled, put the probe in his mouth, and the machine didn't register... The lungs filtered out all of the smoke.
I had already been smoke free for many years, but that demonstration left an impression on me to this day.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
This.

Well, my question stems from this:

I'm a college student and we have designated smoking areas. I don't understand why people would start smoking knowing about all the side effects of smoking.

So, I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology