Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think most people that have been bullied would like to see a harsh punishment for these girls. And I also think bullies will think their punishment will be excessive.
I think bullying is learned. The parent of one of the girls thinks her daughter will get off. Let's hope not.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/us...wick.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Yes, I am sure the girl bullies had some type of abuse in their lives that caused them to bully - but I don't feel sorry for them - they know what right and wrong is. I also think the fact that the dead girl was very pretty and the bullies were kinda ugly might have been a part of it since they were fighting over a boy.
The boy had dated the victim, and still had some affection for her but he was seeing one of the bullies when all this started. If that boy had gotten over the girl this might not have happened. This is assuming he wasn't seeing her on the sly when he was with the bully girl. The rules of dating are hard enough for older teens and adults. It's too much for immature 12-14 year olds.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
The recent story about the 2 girl bullies driving another girl to suicide has really gotten under my craw. I was bullied in middle and high school - not that bad - but bullied just the same so I can relate to the dead girl. I see the faces of those girl bullies and just know for the rest of their lives they are going to be rotten bullies - I believe their evil personalities are already formed. I think most people that have been bullied would like to see a harsh punishment for these girls. And I also think bullies will think their punishment will be excessive. I don't think most bullies know they are bullies.
Your thoughts on this? Not sure I spelled bullies the right way - LOL
It's not so funny in context, but Louis CK has a joke that men or male bullies might beat you up, but women can destroy your soul.

It's also scary how difficult it is to get away from online bullying. It's relentless, and victims can't even get away from it by switching schools or staying home.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I hope the parents file a wrongful death lawsuit.

I think parents should use the law (because schools don't do jack-diddly-squat). If they're child is being bullied, go to the police and press harassment charges. They should include money for all the therapy that their child will need. God forbid the bullying victim commits suicide, the parents should file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,690 times
Girls who bully others as children probably do grow up to do it as adults. I see a total lack of human compassion in those girls. No empathy, no feelings... that's a tough one to overcome.

Looking back, I can remember when my wife was bullied by two women where she works. They were the same kind of people, they needed a victim and were cruel and hateful. My response would have been to call them out, she chose to change jobs.

I do love how this issue has gotten so much attention lately. The teachers in South Hadley, MA where the Irish girl was bullied, knew what was going on and did NOTHING to stop it. Hopefully that will not be tolerated in the future.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
what is usually the common root cause for a "mean girl"? and how do they pick targets?

is there a common thread between the different cases, like them taking after their mother?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:12 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
The main bully in my previous story (at the workplace) was actually not a rotten person. She got along with most people and was popular because she had a good sense of humor. This was more than 15 years ago. I don't talk to her but I saw a facebook page with old pictures from that time and she made a mean comment about someone in a picture like "I hated that mf piece of ***". I don't remember the details but it was a very nasty comment. I think she has major anger issues, she still speaks like a high school student about someone she hasn't seen in more than 15 years. It was just not obvious to us back then because she was very likeble but I didn't agree with her bullying.

From what I remember she was a good person but when someone became a target, she wouldn't stop at anything. Maybe she was a borderline. I don't know, I know she wasn't a rotten person most of the time. I was her friend but I wasn't present when all this bullying took place(coincidence) She wasn't very attractive and had a rough life, she told me she was molested by her stepfather. Maybe that influenced her character and made her such angry person.
I experienced this well. I described this woman as an opportunist. She was nice to those she could benefit from and mean to those she couldn't. Did you get this impression from this woman?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I experienced this well. I described this woman as an opportunist. She was nice to those she could benefit from and mean to those she couldn't. Did you get this impression from this woman?
Honestly no, the bully was nice to almost everybody and was well liked. There were much easier targets like shy people with less friends. The first victim did get the main bully unecessarily in trouble and the bully just never forgave her for it. The second was a love triangle case, but the bullies didn't even know about the love triangle. One girl out of jealousy just poisoned them against the second victim.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
what is usually the common root cause for a "mean girl"? and how do they pick targets?

is there a common thread between the different cases, like them taking after their mother?
My Wife runs Anti-Bully/ Compassion groups in her school and needs to intervene in bullying situations regularly. Just like anything else related to children, her opinion is "Meet the parents and you'll understand", in most cases.
I had a few instances of bullying when I was younger, and they were unpleasant enough, for sure, but nothing compared to the two adult bully's Ive faced through the decades in different work situations. One was a man and one was a women, but both were relentless, obese and angry at the world even in off-time from their bullying hobby. I believe bully's pick passive targets based on my own personal observations.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Honestly no, the bully was nice to almost everybody and was well liked. There were much easier targets like shy people with less friends. The first victim did get the main bully unecessarily in trouble and the bully just never forgave her for it. The second was a love triangle case, but the bullies didn't even know about the love triangle. One girl out of jealousy just poisoned them against the second victim.
I see.

But I do see how it can be possible for the woman to perceive these people as having nothing to offer her so why be nice. Anyway, motivation is not easy to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology