Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

I kinda lived my early years like every one was the last one. I felt I had to cram in all the fun I could because sooner or later I would be too old to enjoy it. So, I really have a lot of great memories and my only regret is that I didn't do a lot more. (Wish I would have gone to Woodstock.)

But now that I am older I like where I am in life too. I could give up some of the aches and pains, but things are just less complicated now and I am more secure. The other thing I would no give up was the time frame in which I grew up.........late 50's early 60's. What a magical time, and if someone gave me the chance to start my life over, but I would have to grow up in this era, I would have to pass on it.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
No way Jose'!

You could not PAY me a million dollars to be under 30 again. Seriously.

Life gets better and better in my opinion - though I did not begin to feel that way until I turned 40

My 40's were really fantastic and now into my 50's it's all gravy.

Feeling so dissatisfied is common under age 35 Knight. It may just mean it's time for you to make some changes in your life, your job or your living arrangements. Don't be afraid to change what isn't working for you!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I'm 27 and I've missed being: 5, 8, and 18.

I've often missed being 18 because that was when I started college. Everything felt like new all over again. Even through some of the hard times, there was a certain feeling of hope. I was an adult, but I was new to so much. I had some cynicism and morose left over from high school, but it was tempered by a certain among of fire in me at that time. I wasn't nearly as cynical or morose as I would be in later years. I also think about the times that I had at age 18. I think about those good times and often wish that I could have those times back again, and with the very same people. This is one major age in my adult years I would want to relive because of the great times I had, and I was more on track at 18 than I was at age 21. Once I turned 19, I went on a slow downward spiral that cost me alot(it hurt my progress in college big time), re-shaped some parts of my personality, and basically did alot to em.

Age 8, well, that was my little "exploration" age. Not a cynical bone in my body. 1994 in general was a decent year. I certainly like the TV shows from that time, such as The Secret World of Alex Mack, Doug, Rugrats, etc. I was old enough to get into certain things, and at the same time, still being a child, and being a child in the 90s, there was still so much to find out. No cynicism, some fear, but not much. This is when I really started to get "girl crazy".

Age 5, well, these were sweet and innocent days. Playing with my friends in the apartment complex, watching Sesame Street, enjoying those very nice days, not a care in the world. I actually looked up episodes of Sesame Street on youtube so that I could relive some of those days in my head.

I'm a bit nostalgic, so I could gone on about many times I would like to enjoy all over.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,129 times
Am in my 60's. The ONLY thing I miss is how I PHYSICALLY felt in my 20'a 30's, etc. Would not go back & re-do anything.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i'm 25, and i wish to be 17 again.. i was much more optimistic, believed in myself more, more delusional about changing the world and happiness and i really want to re-do my college decision all over again. 25 is not that far from then but when all the terrible things that have happened to me since then i'd love to be in that mental state again before it all happened.. so i can change my current fate
I know what you are feeling. I'm 27 and there are many times I wish I was 18.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
Am in my 60's. The ONLY thing I miss is how I PHYSICALLY felt in my 20'a 30's, etc. Would not go back & re-do anything.
I'm not 30 yet and I sometimes freak out about being 30.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I'm pretty old and think you are onto something . . . and the good news is that you are young enough to do something about it. Opt out of the rat race, for instance. Become an entrepreneur or find a way to support yourself that isn't soul-killing.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
No.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not 30 yet and I sometimes freak out about being 30.
The only birthday that depressed me was when I turned 30. I felt like I was no longer young. Weird, huh ? All the rest were easy, but for some reason that one brought me down for a while.

Don

Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I think a portion of everyone would like to go back to certain nostalgic moments we perceived at the time as being 'carefree' or when say a lot of family and friends were closer due to youthful circumstances, but that is only because of the nature of continuous choices in a multivariate world taking us on different trajectories over life and many not feeling as if they always made the right choice in retrospect.

I think roadhogHR hit the key point, in that, at some point when physical age shows (weariness / physical maladies, etc...) we all would like to have the youthful healthiness and energy. I think most of the trick to no regret is using that time to explore and experience as much of what interests you as you can (without engaging in criminal behaviors of course ).

As the adage goes: "old too fast - smart too late!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology